GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Android tip: "Force enable zoom" - for those dodgy responsive websites"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/03/16 at 12:14
"Are you sure?"
I'm noticing that a quite a few websites that have been made 'responsive' (RWD) for mobile/tablet devices are using viewport settings that stop visitors from zooming: maximum-scale=1

I can't see why why they would do that as it only frustrates visitors who need/want to zoom.

It's ironic as they've gone to the trouble to be 'mobile friendly' producing a responsive website but end up making things uncomfortable (or impossible) to read for some visitors!

I'm guessing it's the frameworks some people are using where this is the default so might not always be on purpose. I sometimes contact websites when I come across this (most ignore me!), I recently mentioned it to the creators of SyncBack and they hadn't realised this was going on and corrected it within an hour.

So something to look at if you have or are creating a responsive website.

The good news is that if your are an Android user there's an option in Chrome to override this. In Chrome, go to Settings and Accessibility and turn this option on:

Force enable zoom
Override a website's request to prevent zooming in.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
I've written this on a Bank Holiday while waiting for Freeola to sort out a query for me - which they've just done :¬) Glad to see I'm not the only one working on a sunny Bank Holiday!
Fri 25/03/16 at 13:26
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Hmmm... wrote:
Google are one of the [i]offenders - I've mentioned it to them on Twitter but didn't get a response.

This is a Google site for an example: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/
They are using maximum-scale=1.0 AND user-scalable=no just to make sure!!!

Why would they do that? :¬(
The earlier 'force zoom' tip sorts it out though :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s][/i]

Well, there's a big slice of irony right there!

The whole "let's force people to be mobile friendly" thing does seem to have been thrown rather carelessly into the mix, with no real thought as to the impact. Kind of like using a jack hammer to pick your teeth...
Fri 25/03/16 at 13:13
"Are you sure?"
Google are one of the offenders - I've mentioned it to them on Twitter but didn't get a response.

This is a Google site for an example: https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/
They are using maximum-scale=1.0 AND user-scalable=no just to make sure!!!

Why would they do that? :¬(
The earlier 'force zoom' tip sorts it out though :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 25/03/16 at 12:51
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Yup, I think a lot of people have dropped the "viewport" settings into their web sites in order to meet Google's new "mobile friendly" criteria without actually considering the configuration and implications.

Wierdly, having zoom locked on a site still allows it to pass the Google checks for mobile compatibility despite it being incredibly inconvenient (Google only checks that a "viewport" setting is present, not what it is).

Yay for progress!
Fri 25/03/16 at 12:14
"Are you sure?"
I'm noticing that a quite a few websites that have been made 'responsive' (RWD) for mobile/tablet devices are using viewport settings that stop visitors from zooming: maximum-scale=1

I can't see why why they would do that as it only frustrates visitors who need/want to zoom.

It's ironic as they've gone to the trouble to be 'mobile friendly' producing a responsive website but end up making things uncomfortable (or impossible) to read for some visitors!

I'm guessing it's the frameworks some people are using where this is the default so might not always be on purpose. I sometimes contact websites when I come across this (most ignore me!), I recently mentioned it to the creators of SyncBack and they hadn't realised this was going on and corrected it within an hour.

So something to look at if you have or are creating a responsive website.

The good news is that if your are an Android user there's an option in Chrome to override this. In Chrome, go to Settings and Accessibility and turn this option on:

Force enable zoom
Override a website's request to prevent zooming in.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
I've written this on a Bank Holiday while waiting for Freeola to sort out a query for me - which they've just done :¬) Glad to see I'm not the only one working on a sunny Bank Holiday!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.