GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"VDSL connection"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/01/16 at 16:47
Regular
I'm trying to connect a new VDSL2 router modem ( TP-LINK Archer VR900 ) to the phone line

The easy instal drop down menu offers BT_VDSL as the top choice, but it fails to connect - anyone know what ISP description I should use please?

Replacing BT FTTC modem and TP-LINK WR841 separate boxes - which work OK, but have poor wireless data rate and coverage
Sun 17/01/16 at 19:43
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Eccles wrote:
You line reports up to 15Mbps. 5Mbps is about the limit the BT will allow on FTTC. Some chipsets in modems cope better with marginal lines than others.

This is interesting news ... I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Sun 17/01/16 at 19:18
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
OK, don't give up. Give us a call tomorrow. It may just be that due to your location (I grew up not far from where you are - small world) that the VR900 can't pick up sync. You line reports up to 15Mbps. 5Mbps is about the limit the BT will allow on FTTC. Some chipsets in modems cope better with marginal lines than others.
Sun 17/01/16 at 18:33
Regular
I have installed the latest firmware, but am still unable to connect using the VR900 as a router/modem.

I have for the moment reverted to using the VR900 only as a wireless router, with the ECI modem from BT inputting to the WAN port on the WR900.

This works well, with download speed 9.9 Mbps, just the same as achieved with the ECI + WR841 router combination.

Hope to resolve the use of the VR900 as a router/modem some time this week.
Sun 17/01/16 at 16:01
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Does the router show sync at all? I assume you've double checked you are using the same credentials as in your fttc modem to router setup that does work? Do you have the latest TP-link firmware installed (a quick Google suggests that others have had similar problems with the built in VDSL modem, which TP-Link have released updated firmware for to fix)?
I'm not too familiar with that router and we don't have one at Freeola towers to test with but we have success with other VDSL combined modem routers, I been running one since 2011 without problems.
Sun 17/01/16 at 13:48
Regular
No joy.
ISP tried both BT_VDSL and other
VLAN ID : 101 and enabled
Annex B is not available, Annex A only is listed in the dropdown menu
There is no provision to set VPI or VCI

default gateway is listed as pppoe_ptm_101_0_d

Have reset and factory restored, and entered all the data again both in the Quick start menu, the basic menu and the advanced menu
Nothing seems to work

back with old ECI modem and tp-link WR841N now

will consult Freeola on Monday.
Thank you for your help so far.
Sun 17/01/16 at 09:12
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Typical setting are:
VLAN ID: 101
PPPoE
Annex B
VPI:1
VCI:32 (although VCI/VPI setting are irrelevant as FTTC uses PTM but some routers insist on entering something)
I would select 'other' as the ISP and try these settings. Let us know how you get on.
Sat 16/01/16 at 21:17
"Are you sure?"
Hi.
Try this guide from Kitz : vr900

They suggest selecting 'others' as the ISP.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 16/01/16 at 21:00
Regular
Thank you for the comment. I previously tried what you suggest, it did not work, nor did help from tp-link solve the problem, I'll talk with Freeload support on Monday.

Some of the settings Freeola had previously suggested were not available to alter - so maybe the journey through the settings is critical.
Sat 16/01/16 at 20:29
"Are you sure?"
Hi and welcome to the forums!

I have the same VDSL setup as you at the moment but will also be changing to a combined unit when I can.

I'm not familiar with this device, so have no specific instructions, but I would suggest looking for an option to put your Freeola DSL account details in which should get you most of the way. i.e. login and password from your MyFreeola account.

Let us know how you get on and if you are still stuck tomorrow I'll see if I can find some more setup instructions for you.

Edit: reading the reviews on Amazon it looks like using the BT option and then changing the login details as above should work.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 16/01/16 at 16:47
Regular
I'm trying to connect a new VDSL2 router modem ( TP-LINK Archer VR900 ) to the phone line

The easy instal drop down menu offers BT_VDSL as the top choice, but it fails to connect - anyone know what ISP description I should use please?

Replacing BT FTTC modem and TP-LINK WR841 separate boxes - which work OK, but have poor wireless data rate and coverage

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.