GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Fallout 4"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/11/15 at 15:10
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
I spent a while wondering how best to write a review for Fallout 4, given it's diverse gameplay and appeal, it's well-established heritage and the fact that it has already sparked more than a smattering of commentary, both good and bad, on numerous other sites. I had decided from the outset that I'd need to invest a considerable amount of hours in the game before even attempting to write something, as the only way to give an honest and measured opinion would be for me to experience as much as possible before-hand.

Around 40 hours in, I realised that even if I played it through to the end of the main quest twice over, I still would have missed more content than most other similar games contained in total. Regardless, I think I can comfortably comment, and I can certainly answer some of the criticisms, so perhaps that's the most useful approach.

Graphics aren't great, I've seen better.
Graphically, this is a big step up from Skyrim, but come on, really? It's a Bethesda game, and a Fallout game. The most critical factors would not be graphics, but rather a persistent, vibrant, living world, the existence of believable NPC's, diverse quests and smooth, entertaining combat. All of those are present in every inch of the map, and it's rumoured that none of the game's designers knew everything that was added, with quests and locations being added and populated by several individuals. I can believe it, with many quests overlapping, or rival factions duking it out before you even get there.

It's far more dynamic than previous outings; set out to recover some tech for the Brotherhood of Steel, only to find raiders in a furious firefight with the super mutants encamped in the building next door; shoot your way past the raiders camped outside a subway entrance, discover that those inside have already been butchered by a ghoul infestation. The point is, you'll never really know what you'll be facing, what to expect, so you'll be discovering the world as your character would.

Do I care that The Witcher is prettier? Should I be bothered that some of the animations have been lifted directly from previous Bethesda games?

Or, should I be happy that Bethesda invested their time in making a dense, free flowing quest structure using a tried and tested graphics engine?

The companion system is broken/ you can't dismiss Dogmeat
Nonsense. Absolute drivel.

Dogmeat is required for one stage of the main quest. Other than that, you can choose or dismiss companions at will in exactly the same way as you did in New Vegas, or even choose to travel alone. However, there are advantages to having companions.

Each one will spark new quests, each has his or her own story, and each will provide you with a permanent perk should you get them to like you enough. You'll need to pay attention, as each companion also has a preferred method of approach to any situation; get it too far wrong, you could permanently upset them.

Companions will still get in the way at times, but then this is almost expected in a Fallout game. They will, however, choose appropriate weapons for any fight (unlike previous games) and will quite happily swap from ranged to melee where suitable (unlike previous games). I fail to see where this is broken.

The conversation system has been "dumbed down".
If "dumbed down" is the same as "streamlined", then this is true. Personally, I prefer it; I take less time to ponder my reponse, but I have learnt to account for my current companion's personality traits before answering.

One good and perfectly valid reason for the change of systems is that Fallout 4 is far more tightly narrative-driven. It isn't about being good or bad this time, it's about making things better, saving humanity and rebuilding society. There are still a variety of ways to achieve this, but ultimately it's your job to become the catalyst of change.

I suspect that somebody heavily involved with development of Fallout 4 realised that under such extreme circumstances, black and white would cease to exist; in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, your only option is to choose your particular shade of grey.

This is quite starkly highlighted by a number of the side quests, where you'll need to pick a side that could have serious ramifications for your relationships with some of the main characters. No option is wrong, nor is it evil, but equally no option is right or good. Personally, I felt these moments gave me the chance to invest some of myself in my character.

Character development has been "dumbed down"
I would question whether those who put this one forward even played the game at all.

So here it is...

GONE is the old skill point system, where you earned and distibuted points every time you levelled up.

GONE is the old perks system.

GONE are the "limited time" skill boosts from reading magazines.

NEW is a system of combined perks and stat increases when you level up.

NEW are various series' of magazines that give permenent increases for your skills when you find and read them.

NEW is a system of permanent perks from companions if you can earn them.

NEW is a full, extensive modding system for armour and weapons.

There are countless combinations of the new elements that will allow you to swing combat and conversation in your favour, but so far I have had no hint of an "ultimate" character build and there are no apparent shortcuts to success. It was all too easy to expand your character's repertoir rapidly in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, to the point where Deathclaws became little more than a nuisance after level 10. Fallout 4 shows no sign of this being true, and with the addition of "legendary" adversaries, it's all the more challenging regardless of your level.

The new perks system works in a similar fashion to the old, however this time you need to make a choice between a new skill or adding to an existing one; would you benefit more from heightened perception, or would your investment in better armour mods be more fruitful? Your particular approach to any conflict might well make the decision for you, but those decisions will, without question, alter your path through the game world.

Off the back of this particular criticism comes the comment that "the modding system sucks", and that "the modding in NV was better". Odd, given that in New Vegas you had to buy the mods, whereas now you can craft them yourself at a crafting bench using scrap that you find everywhere. Even more surprising, given that mods can also be applied to armour (unlike New Vegas) and that multiple mods can be applied to each equipment piece, swapped out, stored, moved to another equipment piece where appropriate and so on...

The settlement building is dumb, I feel like a junk collector
Err... so... don't?

As with previous games, choose to do, or not do, ANY aspect of the game. Build a settlement, don't build one, it won't prevent you from playing. It's fun, but not necessary (other than an initial bit, much like a tutorial).

Undeniably, it's fiddly, and my inventory has never been so full of enamelled buckets, but if you attack this aspect of the game in much the same fashion as any other aspect, it's worth investing a little time and effort. In most cases, the major portion of the junk you need to develop your settlement can be found by scrapping the detritus found laying around the settlement area itself. All of your "junk" can be stored in the crafting benches, and many of the same materials can be used for weapon and armour mods too. Building a good network of settlements ultimately leads to more locations from which to prepare for and mount any assault, a healthy income, and a cache of modding parts.

The map is not much bigger than FO3.
Again, what game were these people playing?

Four times the size, in actual fact, than Fallout 3, with a denser system of quests and locations. It's easy to get lost, and even easier to get distracted. Oddly, at times it does feel smaller because of this lack of distance between locations, but just look at the map once you've discovered twenty or thirty points of interest and you'll see the truth of it.

Also, the map is layered, much like Fallout 3, with undergound tunnels, railway stations and sewers, and high-rise buildings connected via intricate systems of make-shift walkways, ladders and stairways; go over, under or through, hit a mission from almost any angle, end up doing four other things off the back of that, get lost, find an alternative route, adapt, survive...

This is how it should be, this is what Fallout 3 promised but didn't quite deliver. It's immersive, unpredictable and wildly entertaining; you'll need to think on the fly, adjust your expectations, consider retreat frequently and use every scrap of ingenuity at your disposal just to get from a to b. Open world it may be, but you'll find limits within yourself that you'll need to overcome or circumvent.

Of course, as with any game, opinion is a personal thing. In my opinion, Fallout 4 is a massive step forward from 3, in pretty much every respect. The tried and tested format remains core, however the additional mechanics, objectives and intricacies add value and depth to the game, creating a far more entertaining and vibrant world in which to live and breathe. The fact that my actions can have such a visible impact on the environment just increases my connection, making me feel more invested, more important than ever.

Be warned, this is not a straight FPS, nor is it a simple RPG, but rather a little of both without fully being either, and you'll undoubtedly need to spend several hours exploring the options and world before you truly see the inherent richness and depth. On the other hand, be absolutely sure it's worth it.

9.5/10
Sun 29/11/15 at 10:31
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Okay, so in true Fallout/ Elder Scrolls fashion, "Sneak" is still an unfair advantage.

My character now has just about the highest level of Sneak, meaning I am now able to crouch/run past enemy in plain sight without so much as a flicker.

I also have the Sandman perk, allowing me to shoot/stab/dismember my targets while they sleep...

On the flipside, unlike previous versions of Fallout, once you've given your position away there's no point trying to hide. This does mean that in a "busy" area, you're likely to get one shot off in "sneaky mode" before they're on to you.
Tue 24/11/15 at 23:05
"possibly impossible"
I've literally just started the game and I'm impressed so far, but it's early days.

Good review and an interesting read.
Tue 24/11/15 at 09:26
Regular
"Braaains"
I'll be doing a review shortly, but I enjoyed the game. Took a bit of getting used to the less washed out graphics, and the while 'son' thing didn't gel for me,.
Mon 23/11/15 at 16:35
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
dav2612 wrote:
chasfh wrote:
[i]"ooh, I wonder what's upstairs..."

That is the story of my 30 hours or so on the game so far. I can barely see a mission through without wandering off on a detour. I'm just glad that the story doesn't involve any pressing matters like missing family members.[/i]

To be fair though, if I'd been a vaultsicle for 200 years, I probably wouldn't find anything too pressing either...
Mon 23/11/15 at 16:31
Regular
"And in last place.."
chasfh wrote:
"ooh, I wonder what's upstairs..."

That is the story of my 30 hours or so on the game so far. I can barely see a mission through without wandering off on a detour. I'm just glad that the story doesn't involve any pressing matters like missing family members.

I have tried to stay focussed and ignore the door but curiosity always gets the better of me. Sadly, last night I found out what curiosity did to the cat. It isn't like I wasn't warned by the voice through the buzzer but no, I had to talk my way in and be taught a lesson.

I still find it staggering just how much there is to do in these games; it is consuming my life.
Mon 23/11/15 at 15:57
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
dav2612 wrote:
Excellent review and I just happen to completely agree with it.

Thanks. Actually true, I went off on a mission to find some piece of tech for the BoS, fought my way through a load of raiders, collected the tech, thought "ooh, I wonder what's upstairs..."

More raiders, more fighting, more loot.

There was also a door out to the roof, and the sound of gunfire. I made my way out there, and there are the last of the raiders, getting completely hammered by a bunch of Super Mutants with chainguns and flamers who'd clearly decided that the big building next door wasn't enough for them...

I've since discovered loads of bits like that. And Ghouls spread too, occupying anywhere there are dead bodies...

It really is a helluva lot of fun!

@DL, I'm "old school" all the way...
Sun 22/11/15 at 21:55
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I guess you must have first written this down in the 'old school way' ... paper and pencil ... for it to be such a 'personal' yet extremely informative review. Nice one chas :¬)
Sun 22/11/15 at 20:49
Regular
"And in last place.."
Excellent review and I just happen to completely agree with it.
Sun 22/11/15 at 15:10
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
I spent a while wondering how best to write a review for Fallout 4, given it's diverse gameplay and appeal, it's well-established heritage and the fact that it has already sparked more than a smattering of commentary, both good and bad, on numerous other sites. I had decided from the outset that I'd need to invest a considerable amount of hours in the game before even attempting to write something, as the only way to give an honest and measured opinion would be for me to experience as much as possible before-hand.

Around 40 hours in, I realised that even if I played it through to the end of the main quest twice over, I still would have missed more content than most other similar games contained in total. Regardless, I think I can comfortably comment, and I can certainly answer some of the criticisms, so perhaps that's the most useful approach.

Graphics aren't great, I've seen better.
Graphically, this is a big step up from Skyrim, but come on, really? It's a Bethesda game, and a Fallout game. The most critical factors would not be graphics, but rather a persistent, vibrant, living world, the existence of believable NPC's, diverse quests and smooth, entertaining combat. All of those are present in every inch of the map, and it's rumoured that none of the game's designers knew everything that was added, with quests and locations being added and populated by several individuals. I can believe it, with many quests overlapping, or rival factions duking it out before you even get there.

It's far more dynamic than previous outings; set out to recover some tech for the Brotherhood of Steel, only to find raiders in a furious firefight with the super mutants encamped in the building next door; shoot your way past the raiders camped outside a subway entrance, discover that those inside have already been butchered by a ghoul infestation. The point is, you'll never really know what you'll be facing, what to expect, so you'll be discovering the world as your character would.

Do I care that The Witcher is prettier? Should I be bothered that some of the animations have been lifted directly from previous Bethesda games?

Or, should I be happy that Bethesda invested their time in making a dense, free flowing quest structure using a tried and tested graphics engine?

The companion system is broken/ you can't dismiss Dogmeat
Nonsense. Absolute drivel.

Dogmeat is required for one stage of the main quest. Other than that, you can choose or dismiss companions at will in exactly the same way as you did in New Vegas, or even choose to travel alone. However, there are advantages to having companions.

Each one will spark new quests, each has his or her own story, and each will provide you with a permanent perk should you get them to like you enough. You'll need to pay attention, as each companion also has a preferred method of approach to any situation; get it too far wrong, you could permanently upset them.

Companions will still get in the way at times, but then this is almost expected in a Fallout game. They will, however, choose appropriate weapons for any fight (unlike previous games) and will quite happily swap from ranged to melee where suitable (unlike previous games). I fail to see where this is broken.

The conversation system has been "dumbed down".
If "dumbed down" is the same as "streamlined", then this is true. Personally, I prefer it; I take less time to ponder my reponse, but I have learnt to account for my current companion's personality traits before answering.

One good and perfectly valid reason for the change of systems is that Fallout 4 is far more tightly narrative-driven. It isn't about being good or bad this time, it's about making things better, saving humanity and rebuilding society. There are still a variety of ways to achieve this, but ultimately it's your job to become the catalyst of change.

I suspect that somebody heavily involved with development of Fallout 4 realised that under such extreme circumstances, black and white would cease to exist; in the post-apocalyptic wasteland, your only option is to choose your particular shade of grey.

This is quite starkly highlighted by a number of the side quests, where you'll need to pick a side that could have serious ramifications for your relationships with some of the main characters. No option is wrong, nor is it evil, but equally no option is right or good. Personally, I felt these moments gave me the chance to invest some of myself in my character.

Character development has been "dumbed down"
I would question whether those who put this one forward even played the game at all.

So here it is...

GONE is the old skill point system, where you earned and distibuted points every time you levelled up.

GONE is the old perks system.

GONE are the "limited time" skill boosts from reading magazines.

NEW is a system of combined perks and stat increases when you level up.

NEW are various series' of magazines that give permenent increases for your skills when you find and read them.

NEW is a system of permanent perks from companions if you can earn them.

NEW is a full, extensive modding system for armour and weapons.

There are countless combinations of the new elements that will allow you to swing combat and conversation in your favour, but so far I have had no hint of an "ultimate" character build and there are no apparent shortcuts to success. It was all too easy to expand your character's repertoir rapidly in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, to the point where Deathclaws became little more than a nuisance after level 10. Fallout 4 shows no sign of this being true, and with the addition of "legendary" adversaries, it's all the more challenging regardless of your level.

The new perks system works in a similar fashion to the old, however this time you need to make a choice between a new skill or adding to an existing one; would you benefit more from heightened perception, or would your investment in better armour mods be more fruitful? Your particular approach to any conflict might well make the decision for you, but those decisions will, without question, alter your path through the game world.

Off the back of this particular criticism comes the comment that "the modding system sucks", and that "the modding in NV was better". Odd, given that in New Vegas you had to buy the mods, whereas now you can craft them yourself at a crafting bench using scrap that you find everywhere. Even more surprising, given that mods can also be applied to armour (unlike New Vegas) and that multiple mods can be applied to each equipment piece, swapped out, stored, moved to another equipment piece where appropriate and so on...

The settlement building is dumb, I feel like a junk collector
Err... so... don't?

As with previous games, choose to do, or not do, ANY aspect of the game. Build a settlement, don't build one, it won't prevent you from playing. It's fun, but not necessary (other than an initial bit, much like a tutorial).

Undeniably, it's fiddly, and my inventory has never been so full of enamelled buckets, but if you attack this aspect of the game in much the same fashion as any other aspect, it's worth investing a little time and effort. In most cases, the major portion of the junk you need to develop your settlement can be found by scrapping the detritus found laying around the settlement area itself. All of your "junk" can be stored in the crafting benches, and many of the same materials can be used for weapon and armour mods too. Building a good network of settlements ultimately leads to more locations from which to prepare for and mount any assault, a healthy income, and a cache of modding parts.

The map is not much bigger than FO3.
Again, what game were these people playing?

Four times the size, in actual fact, than Fallout 3, with a denser system of quests and locations. It's easy to get lost, and even easier to get distracted. Oddly, at times it does feel smaller because of this lack of distance between locations, but just look at the map once you've discovered twenty or thirty points of interest and you'll see the truth of it.

Also, the map is layered, much like Fallout 3, with undergound tunnels, railway stations and sewers, and high-rise buildings connected via intricate systems of make-shift walkways, ladders and stairways; go over, under or through, hit a mission from almost any angle, end up doing four other things off the back of that, get lost, find an alternative route, adapt, survive...

This is how it should be, this is what Fallout 3 promised but didn't quite deliver. It's immersive, unpredictable and wildly entertaining; you'll need to think on the fly, adjust your expectations, consider retreat frequently and use every scrap of ingenuity at your disposal just to get from a to b. Open world it may be, but you'll find limits within yourself that you'll need to overcome or circumvent.

Of course, as with any game, opinion is a personal thing. In my opinion, Fallout 4 is a massive step forward from 3, in pretty much every respect. The tried and tested format remains core, however the additional mechanics, objectives and intricacies add value and depth to the game, creating a far more entertaining and vibrant world in which to live and breathe. The fact that my actions can have such a visible impact on the environment just increases my connection, making me feel more invested, more important than ever.

Be warned, this is not a straight FPS, nor is it a simple RPG, but rather a little of both without fully being either, and you'll undoubtedly need to spend several hours exploring the options and world before you truly see the inherent richness and depth. On the other hand, be absolutely sure it's worth it.

9.5/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.