GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Sega 3D Classics (3ds)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/11/15 at 17:03
Regular
"And in last place.."
Visiting the arcades to play all the latest games was always a highlight of family holidays when I was younger, much younger. There was no shortage of games to play and at 10p, 20p or even 30p for the expensive games, a few pound could last an evening. It is a very different scene these days; the range of games has diminished and the cost has risen. Sega is kindly letting me relive some of my childhood memories in the palm of my hand. And in 3D.

At the height of its success, Sega had quite a wealth of quality games in arcades and home games consoles. A select of games from the Sega archives have been steadily added to the 3DS eShop and there is quite a selection now. They haven’t completed my wish list just yet but they have ticked off a few. The following is a review of the selection that I have downloaded.

Before I share my thoughts though it is important to point out that these aren’t just quick porting jobs to get the game onto the 3DS. The M2 development studio have given these classics the care and attention they deserve and in most cases, delivers the ultimate version of these classics. Bugs have been fixed, the difference in screen resolutions between the old monitors and the 3DS screen have been addressed, frames per second have improved and bugs have fixed. They have even taken the time to incorporate the noises of the hydraulic arcade cabinets for as authentic an experience as you can get in the palm of your hand.

OutRun
I’ll start with one of my favourite driving games of all time. This was the first arcade game I ever put a pound coin into and I got 7 credits for my lavish spending. As a child, my only home experience of OutRun was on the Spectrum version which I think I forced myself to like despite the fact it was monochrome and lost the visual flair, the speed was a gear or 2 down and it struggled to cope with the stage with the stone pillars supporting a stone column laid horizontal to form a tunnel like setting. The Spectrum version chugged through this stage but it was as close to the OutRun arcade as I could get for 51 weeks of the year.

Thankfully there are no such performance issues on the 3DS and it absolutely whizzes through each and every stage without bother. In a sense, it is remarkable to think that the ultimate version on OutRun comes on a device I can fit in my pocket. 30 years ago the ultimate version was the hydraulic cabinet version and you’d have needed quite some pockets to squeeze that in. Other than the hydraulic cabinet, the only thing the 3DS version is missing is the Ferrari licence. It is a minor point and the car still has a Ferrari look to it even if it is a different badge.

OutRun should need no introduction but I can accept that not everyone is as old as me. This is a classic case of get to the checkpoint before the timer expires. With girlfriend alongside, you weave in and out of the traffic on the road as you make a road trip through 5 different locations. At the end of each location the road splits in 2 which leads to 5 different finishing points. Being an arcade game, it is designed to extract your money and does come with a bit of a challenge. OutRun 2 I can complete in the arcade but I’ve never been able to do it with the original.

A big appeal to OutRun was the music and the original tracks are included along with a couple of extras. The horrible remix tracks are nowhere to be seen so I can enjoy the real version of Magical Sound Shower.

OutRun on the 3DS runs at 60 frames per second even with the 3D set to max. The bright and lush scenery still looks good although graphically it obviously can’t rival the modern day racing games. The 3D doesn’t add a great deal to the experience but it make the ease at which the 3DS deals with the stage the Spectrum couldn’t do all the more impressive.

There is a special game included which allows you to tinker with the car performance and general setup. You can have a higher top speed, better turning, no loss of speed for hitting traffic and no loss of speed for driving off road. You can also tinker with the time given at the start and the difficulty. It can be challenging on the default settings so this adds accessibility for those struggling.

OutRun on the 3DS is the ultimate home version of one of my favourite racing games and needless to say, I love it. Nostalgia plays a part naturally but I also think it is a fine traditional arcade racing game. Newcomers may find it a little basic by today’s standards but those of us that enjoyed this game in the arcades will get a lot out of this version.

Afterburner 2
Another game which was better in the hydraulic cabinet but I found it put me off more than it did with OutRun. This wasn’t a game I played as much as I did OutRun because I was absolutely rubbish at it.

The Specturm version was the last time I played Afterburner and that is quite some time ago. Like with OutRun, it lost a lot of the speed and flying a fighter jet was rather dull. It didn’t help that you could stay low to the ground, move up when enemy missiles came at you and then back down again.

It was quite a shock to the system to play the 3DS version of Afterburner. The speed of it all is incredible and the jet fighter has gone down in flames before I know it and I’m left wondering what hit me. It really is quite a spectacle and rock hard on the difficulty front too.

Afterburner has you as the pilot of an F-14 Tomcat getting involved in some dogfights with many, many, enemy fighters. Armed with an endless supply of ammunition for the chain gun and a limited number of homing missiles, you need to clear 21 stages to reach the end. It is fast and challenging.

The F-14 is a rather nimble aircraft but the best part was always the barrel roll which looks even better in 3D. The game does suffer a little on the smaller screen with enemies in the distance but the target locked on symbol will help with that. You have full control of the throttle to help deal with the incoming threat.

As with OutRun, there is a special mode included when you complete the standard arcade version. This is more of a challenge to unlock than in OutRun but you can tinker with the difficulty to help. The special version presents you with a gauge that is filled by downing enemies and is used to slow down time. This makes for a more noticeable different game to the bonus mode in OutRun.

Afterburner is a fast and relentless game and those that enjoyed Afterburner in the arcades are in for a treat. It is more impressive than OutRun and probably feels less like an old game to newcomers. Another great version of an arcade classic and with the added bonus of the extra mode.

Space Harrier
Welcome to the fantasy zone. This is probably not one of the first games that would spring to mine when thinking of Sega’s glorious arcade past but it was always one I enjoyed even if it wasn’t quite so common in the arcades.

Sadly I don’t have a Spectrum story to share or a story about my experiences with the arcade. I had the game on the Spectrum and it played well without ever being outstanding, a bit like the Space Harrier in general.

Space Harrier is quite similar in style to Afterburner but controlling a flying person with a cannon rather than a fighter jet. It is also a friendlier pace but you’ll still need your wits about you as you’ll need to avoid obstacles cluttering the landscape as well as enemy fire. It isn’t the most impressive game but it is a good shooter and whilst not as frantic as Afterburner, it is still busy.

As one of the first batch of 3D classics it doesn’t come with any bonus mode but you can tinker with the setup.

I’ve always liked Space Harrier but it doesn’t quite have the classic status of OutRun and Afterburner. To its credit, it plays as well today as it ever has done and that is without any nostalgia. Another fine conversion but without the flair of the 2 games above and without any extras.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Surely this one needs no introduction although younger gamers may need convincing there was a time when Sonic games were good. And this is when Sonic was good.

Obviously this isn’t an arcade conversion but a port of the Megadrive game which has also made it as far as PS3 and Xbox 360.

I used to stare in awe at the screen in the Currys window when I was a teen. Sonic was the game that was demonstrated and it looked fantastic, especially since my gaming console at the time was a Gameboy. Ironically I never owned Sonic when I bought my Megadrive.

Sonic still looks good today and the 3D just adds to that. Naturally it doesn’t benefit the game in anyway but it does sometimes feel that these older games were made with 3D displays in mind. Sonic has aged very well in the both the looks and audio department. And the “Seeeegaaaaa” voice over as the game loads is still there; almost gives me goosebumps. I first heard this on Sonic 2 and I’d reset the game to hear it again. Yes I know, quite sad on reflection.

There are no extra modes in this version but there is one crucial addition in the shape of Sonic’s spin dash that was introduced in Sonic 2. You can also opt to run the Japanese version of the international version. Apparently the PAL version had some slowdown.

A game that has stood the test of time well and is better than a lot of the modern day Sonic games.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Despite desperately wanting the original Sonic, this is the 1st Sonic game I played on the Megadrive since it came bundled with my console. I spent many an hour playing this game and the bonus stages with my sister and as with the original, it hasn’t aged a bit.

The 3D in this game is remarkably strong, particularly on the pop out setting. Initially very impressive and really shows what the 3DS can do but I actually find it quite uncomfortable so have to tone it down. Even with the 3D at its fullest, it still runs as fast and smoothly as ever.

Sonic 2 is bigger and more impressive than the original which is why I probably never got round to Sonic 1. The levels are a bit more ambitious and it is also a bit less challenging going by my experiences with both versions on the 3DS. If you want the real ending for Sonic 2 then you’ll need to collect all 7 chaos emeralds and that becomes a little more challenging, especially if you have Tails running with you and losing coins with his slower reactions.

Interestingly the bit that isn’t quite so impressive now is the bonus stage. I was looking forward to seeing that in 3D and since I spent so much time on it. It isn’t as impressive as I hoped and hasn’t aged quite so well.

The same version selection exists in this version but there is also an option to display the game as if running on an old CRT television. It is nice for some nostalgia but there is no denying Sonic 2 looks better with the modern setup.

If forced to pick then I’d say this was the best Sonic game and this version does nothing to disprove that; still a great game. Local multiplayer exists as before but I doubt my sister and I would spend as long on the bonus stages as we did when Sonic 2 was first released.

Summary
There are many more of the Sega classics on the store and based on my experience with these games, there are all likely to be of high quality and worthwhile for those that enjoyed them when they were release. M2 have done a great job and created the ultimate version of each game. If only other developers would follow suit. Taito I’m primarily looking at you here but Nintendo are next in line for the stare.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Thu 12/11/15 at 17:03
Regular
"And in last place.."
Visiting the arcades to play all the latest games was always a highlight of family holidays when I was younger, much younger. There was no shortage of games to play and at 10p, 20p or even 30p for the expensive games, a few pound could last an evening. It is a very different scene these days; the range of games has diminished and the cost has risen. Sega is kindly letting me relive some of my childhood memories in the palm of my hand. And in 3D.

At the height of its success, Sega had quite a wealth of quality games in arcades and home games consoles. A select of games from the Sega archives have been steadily added to the 3DS eShop and there is quite a selection now. They haven’t completed my wish list just yet but they have ticked off a few. The following is a review of the selection that I have downloaded.

Before I share my thoughts though it is important to point out that these aren’t just quick porting jobs to get the game onto the 3DS. The M2 development studio have given these classics the care and attention they deserve and in most cases, delivers the ultimate version of these classics. Bugs have been fixed, the difference in screen resolutions between the old monitors and the 3DS screen have been addressed, frames per second have improved and bugs have fixed. They have even taken the time to incorporate the noises of the hydraulic arcade cabinets for as authentic an experience as you can get in the palm of your hand.

OutRun
I’ll start with one of my favourite driving games of all time. This was the first arcade game I ever put a pound coin into and I got 7 credits for my lavish spending. As a child, my only home experience of OutRun was on the Spectrum version which I think I forced myself to like despite the fact it was monochrome and lost the visual flair, the speed was a gear or 2 down and it struggled to cope with the stage with the stone pillars supporting a stone column laid horizontal to form a tunnel like setting. The Spectrum version chugged through this stage but it was as close to the OutRun arcade as I could get for 51 weeks of the year.

Thankfully there are no such performance issues on the 3DS and it absolutely whizzes through each and every stage without bother. In a sense, it is remarkable to think that the ultimate version on OutRun comes on a device I can fit in my pocket. 30 years ago the ultimate version was the hydraulic cabinet version and you’d have needed quite some pockets to squeeze that in. Other than the hydraulic cabinet, the only thing the 3DS version is missing is the Ferrari licence. It is a minor point and the car still has a Ferrari look to it even if it is a different badge.

OutRun should need no introduction but I can accept that not everyone is as old as me. This is a classic case of get to the checkpoint before the timer expires. With girlfriend alongside, you weave in and out of the traffic on the road as you make a road trip through 5 different locations. At the end of each location the road splits in 2 which leads to 5 different finishing points. Being an arcade game, it is designed to extract your money and does come with a bit of a challenge. OutRun 2 I can complete in the arcade but I’ve never been able to do it with the original.

A big appeal to OutRun was the music and the original tracks are included along with a couple of extras. The horrible remix tracks are nowhere to be seen so I can enjoy the real version of Magical Sound Shower.

OutRun on the 3DS runs at 60 frames per second even with the 3D set to max. The bright and lush scenery still looks good although graphically it obviously can’t rival the modern day racing games. The 3D doesn’t add a great deal to the experience but it make the ease at which the 3DS deals with the stage the Spectrum couldn’t do all the more impressive.

There is a special game included which allows you to tinker with the car performance and general setup. You can have a higher top speed, better turning, no loss of speed for hitting traffic and no loss of speed for driving off road. You can also tinker with the time given at the start and the difficulty. It can be challenging on the default settings so this adds accessibility for those struggling.

OutRun on the 3DS is the ultimate home version of one of my favourite racing games and needless to say, I love it. Nostalgia plays a part naturally but I also think it is a fine traditional arcade racing game. Newcomers may find it a little basic by today’s standards but those of us that enjoyed this game in the arcades will get a lot out of this version.

Afterburner 2
Another game which was better in the hydraulic cabinet but I found it put me off more than it did with OutRun. This wasn’t a game I played as much as I did OutRun because I was absolutely rubbish at it.

The Specturm version was the last time I played Afterburner and that is quite some time ago. Like with OutRun, it lost a lot of the speed and flying a fighter jet was rather dull. It didn’t help that you could stay low to the ground, move up when enemy missiles came at you and then back down again.

It was quite a shock to the system to play the 3DS version of Afterburner. The speed of it all is incredible and the jet fighter has gone down in flames before I know it and I’m left wondering what hit me. It really is quite a spectacle and rock hard on the difficulty front too.

Afterburner has you as the pilot of an F-14 Tomcat getting involved in some dogfights with many, many, enemy fighters. Armed with an endless supply of ammunition for the chain gun and a limited number of homing missiles, you need to clear 21 stages to reach the end. It is fast and challenging.

The F-14 is a rather nimble aircraft but the best part was always the barrel roll which looks even better in 3D. The game does suffer a little on the smaller screen with enemies in the distance but the target locked on symbol will help with that. You have full control of the throttle to help deal with the incoming threat.

As with OutRun, there is a special mode included when you complete the standard arcade version. This is more of a challenge to unlock than in OutRun but you can tinker with the difficulty to help. The special version presents you with a gauge that is filled by downing enemies and is used to slow down time. This makes for a more noticeable different game to the bonus mode in OutRun.

Afterburner is a fast and relentless game and those that enjoyed Afterburner in the arcades are in for a treat. It is more impressive than OutRun and probably feels less like an old game to newcomers. Another great version of an arcade classic and with the added bonus of the extra mode.

Space Harrier
Welcome to the fantasy zone. This is probably not one of the first games that would spring to mine when thinking of Sega’s glorious arcade past but it was always one I enjoyed even if it wasn’t quite so common in the arcades.

Sadly I don’t have a Spectrum story to share or a story about my experiences with the arcade. I had the game on the Spectrum and it played well without ever being outstanding, a bit like the Space Harrier in general.

Space Harrier is quite similar in style to Afterburner but controlling a flying person with a cannon rather than a fighter jet. It is also a friendlier pace but you’ll still need your wits about you as you’ll need to avoid obstacles cluttering the landscape as well as enemy fire. It isn’t the most impressive game but it is a good shooter and whilst not as frantic as Afterburner, it is still busy.

As one of the first batch of 3D classics it doesn’t come with any bonus mode but you can tinker with the setup.

I’ve always liked Space Harrier but it doesn’t quite have the classic status of OutRun and Afterburner. To its credit, it plays as well today as it ever has done and that is without any nostalgia. Another fine conversion but without the flair of the 2 games above and without any extras.

Sonic the Hedgehog
Surely this one needs no introduction although younger gamers may need convincing there was a time when Sonic games were good. And this is when Sonic was good.

Obviously this isn’t an arcade conversion but a port of the Megadrive game which has also made it as far as PS3 and Xbox 360.

I used to stare in awe at the screen in the Currys window when I was a teen. Sonic was the game that was demonstrated and it looked fantastic, especially since my gaming console at the time was a Gameboy. Ironically I never owned Sonic when I bought my Megadrive.

Sonic still looks good today and the 3D just adds to that. Naturally it doesn’t benefit the game in anyway but it does sometimes feel that these older games were made with 3D displays in mind. Sonic has aged very well in the both the looks and audio department. And the “Seeeegaaaaa” voice over as the game loads is still there; almost gives me goosebumps. I first heard this on Sonic 2 and I’d reset the game to hear it again. Yes I know, quite sad on reflection.

There are no extra modes in this version but there is one crucial addition in the shape of Sonic’s spin dash that was introduced in Sonic 2. You can also opt to run the Japanese version of the international version. Apparently the PAL version had some slowdown.

A game that has stood the test of time well and is better than a lot of the modern day Sonic games.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Despite desperately wanting the original Sonic, this is the 1st Sonic game I played on the Megadrive since it came bundled with my console. I spent many an hour playing this game and the bonus stages with my sister and as with the original, it hasn’t aged a bit.

The 3D in this game is remarkably strong, particularly on the pop out setting. Initially very impressive and really shows what the 3DS can do but I actually find it quite uncomfortable so have to tone it down. Even with the 3D at its fullest, it still runs as fast and smoothly as ever.

Sonic 2 is bigger and more impressive than the original which is why I probably never got round to Sonic 1. The levels are a bit more ambitious and it is also a bit less challenging going by my experiences with both versions on the 3DS. If you want the real ending for Sonic 2 then you’ll need to collect all 7 chaos emeralds and that becomes a little more challenging, especially if you have Tails running with you and losing coins with his slower reactions.

Interestingly the bit that isn’t quite so impressive now is the bonus stage. I was looking forward to seeing that in 3D and since I spent so much time on it. It isn’t as impressive as I hoped and hasn’t aged quite so well.

The same version selection exists in this version but there is also an option to display the game as if running on an old CRT television. It is nice for some nostalgia but there is no denying Sonic 2 looks better with the modern setup.

If forced to pick then I’d say this was the best Sonic game and this version does nothing to disprove that; still a great game. Local multiplayer exists as before but I doubt my sister and I would spend as long on the bonus stages as we did when Sonic 2 was first released.

Summary
There are many more of the Sega classics on the store and based on my experience with these games, there are all likely to be of high quality and worthwhile for those that enjoyed them when they were release. M2 have done a great job and created the ultimate version of each game. If only other developers would follow suit. Taito I’m primarily looking at you here but Nintendo are next in line for the stare.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.