GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"VIP Hosting Query"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/10/15 at 18:06
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I'm looking to update one of my websites (currently using a standard hosting plan)

If I subscribe to VIP hosting for 6 months or so, can I use that for ftp access to the site via my existing broadband?

& will it allow me access to all sites being hosted by freeola - or just a nominated site or is it meant for something completely different?

Sorry about this - It's probably completely obvious - Just wanted to confirm what my options are.

Cheers.
Fri 16/10/15 at 17:08
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for the update IronCladChicken - lots of people don't bother which is a shame.

Don't forget another option would be to move to Freeola broadband which includes loads of good stuff as part of the package - you could let yourself go then have have loads of websites :¬)

Other thoughts...

Using dialup does sound painful for such large files.
Perhaps you could stay as you are and look at sharing the zip files via dropbox or Google Drive or something similar?

A final option would be to use a CMS - that way you could update it without a Freeola connection.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 16/10/15 at 15:17
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I must say that it is really refreshing to read some positive and interesting feedback from a forum member's initial thread :¬)
Fri 16/10/15 at 15:03
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Just chatted with Freeola support;

Web Freedom no longer exists (at least not for non-freeola broadband customers) - Instead VIP is my only non-dial-up option.

Unfortunately VIP isn't the same as web freedom.

VIP acts like a standard paid hosting site.
You nominate your domain then pay £X per quarter for hosting fees.
If you cancel your VIP hosting, the site doesn't revert back to a standard/free hosting - Instead it's just removed from the servers.

Which is a shame, since it doesn't fit my needs (& a quick google of web hosting companies shows many are cheaper than freeola)

Which gives me the option of;
1. Dial-up connection
2, Moving the domain to another hosting company.

The site I'm looking to update itself pretty small - About a dozen html pages with some bootstrap js, css, fonts, etc thrown in - About 150MB in total (including images, etc)

It does have 6 large zipped files (generally between 100-200MB each) which will be a pain for uploading using dial-up.

However I am using a paid hosting company for another site I have - I can always upload the large files there & link to them from the freeola site - If the dial-up goes funky with giant files (does dial-up still drop after 2 hours?)

However, that's for me to figure out - Cheers for you help Hmmm!
Fri 16/10/15 at 11:53
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I'll take a look - That might be more what I'm looking for - Thanks man!
Thu 15/10/15 at 17:08
"Are you sure?"
Unless you wanted to move the site to VIP hosting have you seen the 'Web Freedom' option? Look for the link under Websites and Hosting within MyFreeola.

Similar money but might be an easier option for you as you won't have to move the site - you'll just be able to FTP from any connection - works well.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 15/10/15 at 15:00
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Hey Hmmm...

I'm currently using Sky broadband - Not freeola (I think VIP hosting comes as part of the package with them?)

I originally thought it was associated with one domain - Which is cool, I'm only really looking to update one site.

When I added VIP hosting to my shopping cart it acted single product - Associated with my freeola account rather than a specific domain.

But I wasn't completly sure.

Ideally I'd like to sign up to VIP for a quarter - tinker with the site - cancel - Then six months later sign up for another quarter & update again.

That way freeola get a bit of cash & I get a faster method of playing with my website than I would via dial-up.

I think that's what they are offering - But I wanted to check before I went any further.
Thu 15/10/15 at 11:14
"Are you sure?"
As I understand things, subscribing to VIP hosting is on a per domain level. i.e. One domain on a VIP package will have FTP access which isn't linked to your ISP.

You haven't said who your existing broadband provider is...
If it's already Freeola then you'll have access to other non-VIP hosted sites as normal.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 14/10/15 at 18:06
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
I'm looking to update one of my websites (currently using a standard hosting plan)

If I subscribe to VIP hosting for 6 months or so, can I use that for ftp access to the site via my existing broadband?

& will it allow me access to all sites being hosted by freeola - or just a nominated site or is it meant for something completely different?

Sorry about this - It's probably completely obvious - Just wanted to confirm what my options are.

Cheers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.