GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] DriveClub vs Forza 6"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/10/15 at 11:15
Regular
"And in last place.."
Now that the consoles from Sony and Microsoft both have their big exclusive in the racing genre, I thought I’d pit them head to head and see who crosses the finish line first.

While both games aren’t identical to each other, they do seem to fit in with the middle ground between simulation and arcade racing. Forza does offer more in the way of options to get closer to simulation but the general feeling always seems to games like Forza and Gran Turismo aren’t as simulation based as they like to think. I’m not really a fan of the full blown simulation racing so the middle ground games suit me just fine.

I am only covering the single player aspects as I'm not overly fond of the multiplayer in either game.

Anyway… 3, 2, 1… Go! Go! Go!

Graphics
With a driving game the initial focus is always on how good the cars looks. Both games are 1080p but DriveClub runs at 30 fps whereas Forza manages 60fps. Personally I don’t notice the difference but I’m sure there are many that will disagree.

There can be no complaints with either game on how good the cars look. The attention to detail in both also includes the car interiors which does mean the cockpit view is all the more impressive.

Forza 6 does have an ace up its sleeve with the Forza Vista mode which allows you to inspect the cars in closer detail. You can have a nosey under the bonnet, check out the size of the boot and generally examine every inch of the car as you would if you were buying a used car. DriveClub does have a first person view point of the driver opening the car door and climbing in which is a nice touch but it isn’t as good as Forza Vista.

Both games feature damage models which people always tends to like. If you drive like me then you’ll want to admire these cars as much as possible before the race starts as they look very different when they cross the finish line. Forza does allow you to switch the damage model from visual to one that affects performance. I stick to visual otherwise I think I’d seldom cross the finish line.

So far it seems like Forza edges this category but DriveClub hits back with the tracks. Forza features a lot of real racing tracks and through no fault of its own, racing tracks aren’t the most scenic of locations. DriveClub on the other hand, has fictional landscapes based on the countries they are set in. This has allowed for some creative freedom and the scenery is often quite spectacular. Forza shines in the city based tracks like Prague but there isn’t enough of this to compete with the DriveClub setting.

Winner: DriveClub.

Weather
Both games feature racing in the wet; whatever happened to racing in sunny days with nice dry roads for lots of grip?

The wet weather affects performance and adds an extra challenge. I’ll admit I am not a fan as I have enough to worry about with the way I drive without needing to take into account the weather conditions. The wet weather impressively done in both games with rain drops moving up the windscreen with the high speeds of the car or moving to opposite the side with a sharp turn. It all looks better using the interior mode with the wipers on giving you a moment of clear unobstructed visibility.

Wet weather tends to make things a bit miserable looking and the trouble with Forza’s tracks is that they end up looking rather dreary in the wet. True to life but it doesn’t do much for the eye candy.

DriveClub takes it a stage further than Forza with heavier rain but the downside to that is visibility. Sometimes I find it nigh on impossible to see where I am going which I don’t find to be much fun.

Forza 6 counters the heavier precipitation with 3D puddles. Naturally with consistent periods of rainfall you get puddles and Turn 10 have accurately modelled where water gathers on the race tracks and leaves the player to deal with the risk of aquaplaning. This is all well and good in theory but where it does fall down is that the puddles look like glass. If you watch the other racers go through you’ll not see much in the way of splash, if any at all, and there are certainly no ripples in the water. A minor grievance but I do notice each and every time I play in the wet.

So far it is a draw in this section but DriveClub wins this round with dynamic weather. In Forza 6 the weather is set for the whole race whereas in DriveClub what starts out as a dry race can end up being a thunderstorm and a torrential downpour by the end. This is rather well done with a few drops of rain warning that the weather is turning.

Winner: DriveClub

Night
As well as the weather, both games have us driving at night. This reduces visibility and adds glare from car lights. It is done equally well in both games but as with the weather, it is dynamic in DriveClub with day and night cycles which is more impressive. As with the weather, I’d not miss it if it wasn’t there.

Handling
This is where things get very specific to personal tastes. As I mentioned before, I prefer the balance between sim and arcade in this type of game. Forza 6 has plenty of options to fine tune things to your liking and you can tweak it all more towards the simulation end of the spectrum. I prefer not to tinker with setups which is why I always pick the auto upgrade options in Forza if needing to improve a car. DriveClub doesn’t have any of these options; you just pick a car and drive.

When comparing the default setup in Forza 6 to DriveClub, I much prefer DriveClub. I liked the handling in DriveClub instantly but with Forza 6, 17 hours later and I am not 100% comfortable and I have ended up tweaking controller settings to see if I could improve things.

DriveClub feels spot on for my handling preferences although there are some cars I’m less comfortable with. I’m pretty sure I could match the setup in Forza by tweaking settings but I’ve not come across that setup yet. Forza 3 was the last one of the Motorsport series I played and the ‘out of the box’ setup in that was perfect for my tastes so this has taken me a little by surprise.

Another aspect which is in DriveClub’s favour is the sense of speed. In Forza, the sense of speed seems less which has led to me overrunning corners because I’m going much faster than I thought I was. The racing line does help but it isn’t full proof and sometimes I feel it has me braking way too early. These are issues I’ve not experience in DriveClub.

AI
For the single player, the AI can make or break a racing game. Gran Turismo has been criticised in the past for its robotic AI and the 2 games here have gone for different approaches.

DriveClub goes for the competent AI that holds the racing line but is partial to the odd mistake. Forza on the other hand sticks with the Drivatar system which means the AI cars are based on the behaviour of the player the Drivatar belongs to.

These approaches lead to very different outcomes. The Drivatar system has come on a long way but that isn’t necessarily a good thing. The AI can be very aggressive as people tend to shunt cars to their own advantage. Guilty as charged. The Demolition Derby style racing in the multiplayer modes is why I stick to single player so to have those antics brought into my single player game is a big minus point for me; even if it is how I tend to drive.

The AI in DriveClub does have an element of aggression and with the system that awards good driving and punishes bad driving, it is annoying to be docked points when the AI hits you but I still prefer this over Forza’s over-aggressive antics.

Forza has 24 cars on track which is way more than DriveClub. If you are a competent racer then you’ll not really notice most of the cars in Forza and with the AI, it can lead to a massive pile up at the 1st bend.

Difficulty
DriveClub is a challenging game and I’ve seen many comments from people moaning it is too hard. I’m an average driver so I do find it challenging but I’d not say it is too hard as I tend to find I can get closer and closer to the objective with practice until I beat it or come darned close at least.

Forza on the other hands has customisable difficulty which should allow for anyone to play. In previous Forza games this seems to have worked well but the results in Forza 6 are a bit random. I play on Average and many times I have found the 1st two cars to be uncatchable. Dropping the difficulty to Inexperienced can have little impact on the car in 1st place. And then in other races I am romping home well out of sight.

If Turn 10 patch the difficulty issues then this round is Forza’s.

Winner: Draw.

Content
Forza edges things with the amount of content but both games have plenty to do. The main difference is in the type of offerings.

In the ‘career’ mode, DriveClub has racing, time trials, drift events and cups. In Forza’s career mode it is simply racing. DriveClub also varies things with point to point races as well as lap based events. Forza 6 only offers lap based events.

Where Forza has the upper hand is in its Showcase events. This is where the variety kicks in and you can be doing anything from historical grand prix races to knocking large pins over. There are a lot of standard races but there are some fun elements in there too to give you a nice break from competitive racing.

And with the Top gear license, you can even challenge The Stig to race in Forza 6. Of course, with the AI issues mentioned above, it seems many of the Forza players are much better at driving than The Stig.

Winner: Forza 6

Challenges
Both games offer a different in-game challenge on top of the standard race objective. In DriveClub there are several ad-hoc challenges during the event. These can vary from maintaining the racing line to points for drifting. They can be a little off putting but you can ignore them.

Forza allows challenges to be added via Mods. There is one category of Mod which is designed to challenge your skills. You can choose to start at the back, restrict yourself to a single camera type or even have assists such as ABS switched off.

The challenges in Forza are much less intrusive which I prefer but in both games, I tend to ignore them when I can. However, I can see that they add a little extra to the events and are a nice to have.

Winner: Draw

Car Selection
Always an important category for the car enthusiast and there is no contest here. DriveClub offers a nice selection of cars in each of the categories but it doesn’t come anywhere near matching the numbers or scope of choice in Forza.

Forza has everything from everyday cars to the super cars as well as classics from days gone past.

Winner: Forza

Summary
DriveClub does benefit from the multitude of patches since its inception whereas Forza 6 is still in its infancy. A big part of my preference towards DriveClub is the handling. With the sense of speed I think DriveClub is a little more thrilling and it does mean, with the lower spec cars, that things can be a little dull in Forza. Both games are well worth playing but as things stand, I do prefer DriveClub.
Mon 05/10/15 at 11:15
Regular
"And in last place.."
Now that the consoles from Sony and Microsoft both have their big exclusive in the racing genre, I thought I’d pit them head to head and see who crosses the finish line first.

While both games aren’t identical to each other, they do seem to fit in with the middle ground between simulation and arcade racing. Forza does offer more in the way of options to get closer to simulation but the general feeling always seems to games like Forza and Gran Turismo aren’t as simulation based as they like to think. I’m not really a fan of the full blown simulation racing so the middle ground games suit me just fine.

I am only covering the single player aspects as I'm not overly fond of the multiplayer in either game.

Anyway… 3, 2, 1… Go! Go! Go!

Graphics
With a driving game the initial focus is always on how good the cars looks. Both games are 1080p but DriveClub runs at 30 fps whereas Forza manages 60fps. Personally I don’t notice the difference but I’m sure there are many that will disagree.

There can be no complaints with either game on how good the cars look. The attention to detail in both also includes the car interiors which does mean the cockpit view is all the more impressive.

Forza 6 does have an ace up its sleeve with the Forza Vista mode which allows you to inspect the cars in closer detail. You can have a nosey under the bonnet, check out the size of the boot and generally examine every inch of the car as you would if you were buying a used car. DriveClub does have a first person view point of the driver opening the car door and climbing in which is a nice touch but it isn’t as good as Forza Vista.

Both games feature damage models which people always tends to like. If you drive like me then you’ll want to admire these cars as much as possible before the race starts as they look very different when they cross the finish line. Forza does allow you to switch the damage model from visual to one that affects performance. I stick to visual otherwise I think I’d seldom cross the finish line.

So far it seems like Forza edges this category but DriveClub hits back with the tracks. Forza features a lot of real racing tracks and through no fault of its own, racing tracks aren’t the most scenic of locations. DriveClub on the other hand, has fictional landscapes based on the countries they are set in. This has allowed for some creative freedom and the scenery is often quite spectacular. Forza shines in the city based tracks like Prague but there isn’t enough of this to compete with the DriveClub setting.

Winner: DriveClub.

Weather
Both games feature racing in the wet; whatever happened to racing in sunny days with nice dry roads for lots of grip?

The wet weather affects performance and adds an extra challenge. I’ll admit I am not a fan as I have enough to worry about with the way I drive without needing to take into account the weather conditions. The wet weather impressively done in both games with rain drops moving up the windscreen with the high speeds of the car or moving to opposite the side with a sharp turn. It all looks better using the interior mode with the wipers on giving you a moment of clear unobstructed visibility.

Wet weather tends to make things a bit miserable looking and the trouble with Forza’s tracks is that they end up looking rather dreary in the wet. True to life but it doesn’t do much for the eye candy.

DriveClub takes it a stage further than Forza with heavier rain but the downside to that is visibility. Sometimes I find it nigh on impossible to see where I am going which I don’t find to be much fun.

Forza 6 counters the heavier precipitation with 3D puddles. Naturally with consistent periods of rainfall you get puddles and Turn 10 have accurately modelled where water gathers on the race tracks and leaves the player to deal with the risk of aquaplaning. This is all well and good in theory but where it does fall down is that the puddles look like glass. If you watch the other racers go through you’ll not see much in the way of splash, if any at all, and there are certainly no ripples in the water. A minor grievance but I do notice each and every time I play in the wet.

So far it is a draw in this section but DriveClub wins this round with dynamic weather. In Forza 6 the weather is set for the whole race whereas in DriveClub what starts out as a dry race can end up being a thunderstorm and a torrential downpour by the end. This is rather well done with a few drops of rain warning that the weather is turning.

Night
As well as the weather, both games have us driving at night. This reduces visibility and adds glare from car lights. It is done equally well in both games but as with the weather, it is dynamic in DriveClub with day and night cycles which is more impressive. As with the weather, I’d not miss it if it wasn’t there.

Handling
This is where things get very specific to personal tastes. As I mentioned before, I prefer the balance between sim and arcade in this type of game. Forza 6 has plenty of options to fine tune things to your liking and you can tweak it all more towards the simulation end of the spectrum. I prefer not to tinker with setups which is why I always pick the auto upgrade options in Forza if needing to improve a car. DriveClub doesn’t have any of these options; you just pick a car and drive.

When comparing the default setup in Forza 6 to DriveClub, I much prefer DriveClub. I liked the handling in DriveClub instantly but with Forza 6, 17 hours later and I am not 100% comfortable and I have ended up tweaking controller settings to see if I could improve things.

DriveClub feels spot on for my handling preferences although there are some cars I’m less comfortable with. I’m pretty sure I could match the setup in Forza by tweaking settings but I’ve not come across that setup yet. Forza 3 was the last one of the Motorsport series I played and the ‘out of the box’ setup in that was perfect for my tastes so this has taken me a little by surprise.

Another aspect which is in DriveClub’s favour is the sense of speed. In Forza, the sense of speed seems less which has led to me overrunning corners because I’m going much faster than I thought I was. The racing line does help but it isn’t full proof and sometimes I feel it has me braking way too early. These are issues I’ve not experience in DriveClub.

AI
For the single player, the AI can make or break a racing game. Gran Turismo has been criticised in the past for its robotic AI and the 2 games here have gone for different approaches.

DriveClub goes for the competent AI that holds the racing line but is partial to the odd mistake. Forza on the other hand sticks with the Drivatar system which means the AI cars are based on the behaviour of the player the Drivatar belongs to.

These approaches lead to very different outcomes. The Drivatar system has come on a long way but that isn’t necessarily a good thing. The AI can be very aggressive as people tend to shunt cars to their own advantage. Guilty as charged. The Demolition Derby style racing in the multiplayer modes is why I stick to single player so to have those antics brought into my single player game is a big minus point for me; even if it is how I tend to drive.

The AI in DriveClub does have an element of aggression and with the system that awards good driving and punishes bad driving, it is annoying to be docked points when the AI hits you but I still prefer this over Forza’s over-aggressive antics.

Forza has 24 cars on track which is way more than DriveClub. If you are a competent racer then you’ll not really notice most of the cars in Forza and with the AI, it can lead to a massive pile up at the 1st bend.

Difficulty
DriveClub is a challenging game and I’ve seen many comments from people moaning it is too hard. I’m an average driver so I do find it challenging but I’d not say it is too hard as I tend to find I can get closer and closer to the objective with practice until I beat it or come darned close at least.

Forza on the other hands has customisable difficulty which should allow for anyone to play. In previous Forza games this seems to have worked well but the results in Forza 6 are a bit random. I play on Average and many times I have found the 1st two cars to be uncatchable. Dropping the difficulty to Inexperienced can have little impact on the car in 1st place. And then in other races I am romping home well out of sight.

If Turn 10 patch the difficulty issues then this round is Forza’s.

Winner: Draw.

Content
Forza edges things with the amount of content but both games have plenty to do. The main difference is in the type of offerings.

In the ‘career’ mode, DriveClub has racing, time trials, drift events and cups. In Forza’s career mode it is simply racing. DriveClub also varies things with point to point races as well as lap based events. Forza 6 only offers lap based events.

Where Forza has the upper hand is in its Showcase events. This is where the variety kicks in and you can be doing anything from historical grand prix races to knocking large pins over. There are a lot of standard races but there are some fun elements in there too to give you a nice break from competitive racing.

And with the Top gear license, you can even challenge The Stig to race in Forza 6. Of course, with the AI issues mentioned above, it seems many of the Forza players are much better at driving than The Stig.

Winner: Forza 6

Challenges
Both games offer a different in-game challenge on top of the standard race objective. In DriveClub there are several ad-hoc challenges during the event. These can vary from maintaining the racing line to points for drifting. They can be a little off putting but you can ignore them.

Forza allows challenges to be added via Mods. There is one category of Mod which is designed to challenge your skills. You can choose to start at the back, restrict yourself to a single camera type or even have assists such as ABS switched off.

The challenges in Forza are much less intrusive which I prefer but in both games, I tend to ignore them when I can. However, I can see that they add a little extra to the events and are a nice to have.

Winner: Draw

Car Selection
Always an important category for the car enthusiast and there is no contest here. DriveClub offers a nice selection of cars in each of the categories but it doesn’t come anywhere near matching the numbers or scope of choice in Forza.

Forza has everything from everyday cars to the super cars as well as classics from days gone past.

Winner: Forza

Summary
DriveClub does benefit from the multitude of patches since its inception whereas Forza 6 is still in its infancy. A big part of my preference towards DriveClub is the handling. With the sense of speed I think DriveClub is a little more thrilling and it does mean, with the lower spec cars, that things can be a little dull in Forza. Both games are well worth playing but as things stand, I do prefer DriveClub.
Mon 05/10/15 at 11:39
"possibly impossible"
I think everyone is going to have their own opinion on this but it was good to read yours.

I'm leaning towards Forza more just for the feeling of the control and the overall package, though I did manage to get the Driveclub Season Pass in the last sale so I'm going to pop on that as soon as all these betas are finished.
Mon 05/10/15 at 11:58
Regular
"And in last place.."
pb wrote:
I think everyone is going to have their own opinion on this but it was good to read yours.

I'm leaning towards Forza more just for the feeling of the control and the overall package, though I did manage to get the Driveclub Season Pass in the last sale so I'm going to pop on that as soon as all these betas are finished.

Oh most definitely. I'd say this is even more subjective than a standard review. There are a couple of aspects that need patched which would make this a tighter call but I think the crucial differences for me will remain.

The DC season pass is incredibly good value for money at the full RRP let alone the sale price.

Did I mention I think DC is a better game too :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.