GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] The Escapists - Xbox One"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/09/15 at 16:08
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
PC and Xbox One
(Reviewed on the Xbox One)

Listen up you lousy maggot! Do you remember when you were last important? No? Well, nor do we! Now get back in line and read this review on The Escapists - a top down prison-life simulator with the aim to make your little inmate escape from a multitude of different prisons, each more difficult than the last.

I first had heard of this game whilst browsing both Steam and Twitch, with an impulsive download a few weeks later from the Xbox Marketplace. It is basic in graphics, but the actual depth in the gameplay blows this out of the water. You play as a single inmate (of which you can name and have a minimal range of appearance modifiers) and placed in a fictional prison, filled with prison officers and other inmates (you can also name these to your fancy) that you have to interact with, fall in line with and keep your escape plans secret from. Sounds all rather basic, but it definitely goes much deeper than this.

Your first goals are essentially to scope the place, but also to fall in line. Each prison has its own schedule, from the roll-call (miss this and the place goes into lockdown...), mealtimes, exercise periods, working periods and, the best time of all, free-periods. You need to stick close to this schedule as to avoid raising heat with the guards. But, you also need to manage your time effectively so you can gather supplies, plot and make your escape. Timing, in a way, is the name of this game.

So how do you escape? There are many strategies that work (and many more that don't). You could go postal and knock out everyone, which will allow you to walk out the front door. You may decide digging out of your cell and under the outer walls is a better idea. Or possibly dressing as a guard and walking out using a stolen key might be your deal. It is up to you, but just don't get caught...as even a hint of digging or breaking the rules will land you in solitary confinement, with all your supplies and progress erased. It is the single-most frustrating point when your carefully plotted plan is rumbled and you need to start again.

So saving the game as you go is a good idea? Well...you can't. You have the opportunity to save your game at the end of every day at lights out. This is also the prime time to plan your escape (naturally), so often you are torn by playing safe or being brave and attempting a breakout and losing your day of progress.

The Escapists employs a complex item system - some items are ok to carry (surprisingly razor blades are ok to have on your person...but a little paper mache is contraband), other items are contraband (don't be caught with these as they'll be confiscated...or if found in your desk during a roll-call named cell shakedown...you'll have it all confiscated AND spend time in solitary confinement) and other items act as components for more complex items required to make your escape. You need to be clever, you need to steal or even buy items from fellow inmates and you need to educate yourself whilst in prison to maximise your escape equipment.

Money? Yes! Money! Currency is a key feature in the game, obtained by doing your assigned job (lots within the game) or by doing favours for fellow inmates (shaking down cells for stolen items, causing a ruccus to allow someone to slip off during the roll-call or even just being a henchman and giving another inmate or officer a well earned whack on the back of the head with a crafted sock-mace. The money can then be used to buy tips (from the outside telephone line) or to buy items from others. The favour system also allows for recruitment of other inmates (should they like you enough) or the occasional brawl (easy to get into when you start to play...).

Graphically, it may not stand up to the likes of GTA and the sounds are basic, but this is definitely something that allows you to focus more on the gameplay and design itself. It is a frustrating game, but perseverance pays off and, by the end of the last prison, you will be dancing around in your prison overalls when you master the escape.

I thoroughly recommend this game to anyone who has not yet tried it and it is possibly up there in the top 5 games I have played on the Xbox One so far. 92%
Fri 04/09/15 at 18:55
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Thanks Edgy. It really is a gripping game. Full of frustration, but certainly gets the grey matter working. It has been a long time since I last sat down and played a game to completion but glad I have. Very tempted now to go for the DLC...
Fri 04/09/15 at 12:52
Regular
Great review, and has certainly made me interested in playing this (albeit without an Xbox One it may be a Steam purchase for me).

It reminds me of the ZX Spectrum classic: The Great Escape (yes, based on the movie) but it actually sounds fun.
Thu 03/09/15 at 16:08
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
PC and Xbox One
(Reviewed on the Xbox One)

Listen up you lousy maggot! Do you remember when you were last important? No? Well, nor do we! Now get back in line and read this review on The Escapists - a top down prison-life simulator with the aim to make your little inmate escape from a multitude of different prisons, each more difficult than the last.

I first had heard of this game whilst browsing both Steam and Twitch, with an impulsive download a few weeks later from the Xbox Marketplace. It is basic in graphics, but the actual depth in the gameplay blows this out of the water. You play as a single inmate (of which you can name and have a minimal range of appearance modifiers) and placed in a fictional prison, filled with prison officers and other inmates (you can also name these to your fancy) that you have to interact with, fall in line with and keep your escape plans secret from. Sounds all rather basic, but it definitely goes much deeper than this.

Your first goals are essentially to scope the place, but also to fall in line. Each prison has its own schedule, from the roll-call (miss this and the place goes into lockdown...), mealtimes, exercise periods, working periods and, the best time of all, free-periods. You need to stick close to this schedule as to avoid raising heat with the guards. But, you also need to manage your time effectively so you can gather supplies, plot and make your escape. Timing, in a way, is the name of this game.

So how do you escape? There are many strategies that work (and many more that don't). You could go postal and knock out everyone, which will allow you to walk out the front door. You may decide digging out of your cell and under the outer walls is a better idea. Or possibly dressing as a guard and walking out using a stolen key might be your deal. It is up to you, but just don't get caught...as even a hint of digging or breaking the rules will land you in solitary confinement, with all your supplies and progress erased. It is the single-most frustrating point when your carefully plotted plan is rumbled and you need to start again.

So saving the game as you go is a good idea? Well...you can't. You have the opportunity to save your game at the end of every day at lights out. This is also the prime time to plan your escape (naturally), so often you are torn by playing safe or being brave and attempting a breakout and losing your day of progress.

The Escapists employs a complex item system - some items are ok to carry (surprisingly razor blades are ok to have on your person...but a little paper mache is contraband), other items are contraband (don't be caught with these as they'll be confiscated...or if found in your desk during a roll-call named cell shakedown...you'll have it all confiscated AND spend time in solitary confinement) and other items act as components for more complex items required to make your escape. You need to be clever, you need to steal or even buy items from fellow inmates and you need to educate yourself whilst in prison to maximise your escape equipment.

Money? Yes! Money! Currency is a key feature in the game, obtained by doing your assigned job (lots within the game) or by doing favours for fellow inmates (shaking down cells for stolen items, causing a ruccus to allow someone to slip off during the roll-call or even just being a henchman and giving another inmate or officer a well earned whack on the back of the head with a crafted sock-mace. The money can then be used to buy tips (from the outside telephone line) or to buy items from others. The favour system also allows for recruitment of other inmates (should they like you enough) or the occasional brawl (easy to get into when you start to play...).

Graphically, it may not stand up to the likes of GTA and the sounds are basic, but this is definitely something that allows you to focus more on the gameplay and design itself. It is a frustrating game, but perseverance pays off and, by the end of the last prison, you will be dancing around in your prison overalls when you master the escape.

I thoroughly recommend this game to anyone who has not yet tried it and it is possibly up there in the top 5 games I have played on the Xbox One so far. 92%

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.