GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tech Knowledge Questions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/09/15 at 11:55
Regular
"Why so srs?"
Hey there forum goers,

I figured that we all like a bit of a continuous quiz and so I thought I'd put out a few questions for your entertainment. Let me know what you think and obviously give your answers.

First off, applications to protocols.

Below is a list of commonly used applications. These will mainly use either TCP or UDP as their connection protocol. Your job is to produce two lists detailing the correct grouping.

Applications:
HTTP
VoIP
DHCP
DNS
FTP
SNMP
Telnet
SMTP
TFTP

There are some trick applications above, let's see who catches on!
Fri 13/11/15 at 14:00
Regular
srs_wubwub wrote:
And so, the answers are:

Show Spoiler

You did well on that one DL, so here's another.

What is the name of the process completed by a host machine to determine the network portion of an IPv4 Address with a Subnet Mask?

Thanks, that's actually a pretty useful list!
Tue 08/09/15 at 20:09
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
ANDie knowing that ;¬)

I think NAT is a better name :¬)
Tue 08/09/15 at 11:00
Regular
"Why so srs?"
The answer to the question:

What is the name of the process completed by a host machine to determine the network portion of an IPv4 Address with a Subnet Mask?

Is:
ANDing

The ANDing process takes the IPv4 address, converts it to binary, takes the subnet mask, converts that to binary and then completes logical ANDing.

So, IP 192.168.1.1 would be represented in binary as

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 would be represented in binary as:

If we use the logical AND operator to compare these two values we get:

This shows that the first three groups (octets) represent the network portion of the address and the final octet represents the host portion of the address.

This process is then used by devices to determine whether to send network traffic locally using a Layer 2 device (switch) or to send it to a Layer 3 device (router) most commonly the default gateway.

Another question is on its way.
Mon 07/09/15 at 20:27
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Eccles wrote:
DL wrote:
[i]

I think SNMP works with TCP

Experimental only I believe and probably not advisable due to the nature of SNMP.[/i]

I realise the error of my ways Eccles, old age and associated factors ... it's UDP :¬)
Mon 07/09/15 at 19:45
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
DL wrote:

Experimental only I believe and probably not advisable due to the nature of SNMP.
Mon 07/09/15 at 13:01
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Not sure about this one ... but

Show Spoiler

Mon 07/09/15 at 10:46
Regular
"Why so srs?"
And so, the answers are:

Show Spoiler

You did well on that one DL, so here's another.

Thu 03/09/15 at 13:28
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Here we go ...
Show Spoiler

:¬)
Thu 03/09/15 at 11:55
Regular
"Why so srs?"
Hey there forum goers,

I figured that we all like a bit of a continuous quiz and so I thought I'd put out a few questions for your entertainment. Let me know what you think and obviously give your answers.

First off, applications to protocols.

Below is a list of commonly used applications. These will mainly use either TCP or UDP as their connection protocol. Your job is to produce two lists detailing the correct grouping.

Applications:
HTTP
VoIP
DHCP
DNS
FTP
SNMP
Telnet
SMTP
TFTP

There are some trick applications above, let's see who catches on!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.