GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Windows 10; upgrades, problems, solutions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 01/08/15 at 09:30
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
Given that the new operating system from Microsoft seems to be quite a popular topic at the moment, it's probably worth sharing any knowledge we have as we all install and "road test".

So, tell us if you've been successful, what you think of it, or alternatively if you've encountered problems both installing and following the install.

If you have come across any fixes or workarounds, tell us about those too.
Fri 27/05/16 at 17:51
"Are you sure?"
BBC News have run 3 items on this since I posted: Microsoft accused of Windows 10 upgrade 'nasty trick'.

For some, this has been a bad move from Microsoft!
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Thu 19/05/16 at 09:43
"Are you sure?"
In February it was reported that Microsoft were changing the Windows 10 upgrade to a 'recommended update'. That means that people on default Windows Update settings would get offered the update rather than the previous GW10 (Get Windows 10) nags!

I've heard from two people this week - one this morning and one yesterday who have found their W7 PC has upgraded to W10 - even though they were planning on staying on Windows 7...

Looking at Twitter I can see this is hitting lots of people at the moment!

It doesn't seem a very nice move from MS. I believe if you read the small print you can still cancel the install but they've made it hard to find.

I read a comment that the wording and actions of Microsoft would put a scammer to shame...!

So if you aren't planning on upgrading to W10 now is the time to read up on this.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

EDIT:
*Another* W7 user contacted me and was struggling to stop the update! (I didn't realise I had so many clients) They use some bespoke s/w their developer says won't run on W10...

I went to help to stop the Windows 10 update...
The update notice 'stays on top' just like a virus! No minimise option etc.
Using the Hamburger Menu (3 lines, top left) > View Confirmation > Cancel Reservation and confirm.

Nice one Microsoft...
Thu 25/02/16 at 14:34
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I realise I'm a bit after the fact here...but if anyone is as nervoso as I was about upgrading (still smarting from previous burns etc) I managed to do the following to create a true dual boot of W7 / W10

(if you upgrade it keeps W7 but it's kind of a subset of your W10 install which I didn't like the idea of)

anyhow I partitioned my drive and install a copy of my W7 on the new partition and upgraded from that to allow my prev. W7 to remain COMPLETELY untouched

also I'm not the big gamer some people here are but I use OpenOffice / LibreOffice extensively and it was running like a dead dog on W7 - I couldn't figure out what was the prob. I have a 16gb i7 so it should have been really fast

guess what it runs like lightning on W10 so I can only guess it it using 64bit and memory resources much more efficiently

oh yes and Sketchup is another app I use that has massively improved
Thu 24/12/15 at 00:03
"Are you sure?"
No, WiFi Direct is also for Windows.
Look at the Project options and also the 'cast' option on media (right hand click menu).

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 23/12/15 at 21:53
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
If anyone has any tips with 'WiFi Direct' with a Samsung TV please feel free to let me know

Isn't WiFi Direct + Samsung TV just restricted to an android device ... not Windows?
Wed 23/12/15 at 19:09
"Are you sure?"
If anyone has any tips with 'WiFi Direct' with a Samsung TV please feel free to let me know!

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Wed 23/12/15 at 18:27
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
I tried Restarting it which ended up in a BSOD. This is the point you wish you hadn't bothered experimenting! Pleased to say it automatically Restarted and recovered from the BSOD.

Just updating the GPU driver as I type this...

The beauty of W10 and 'fiddlers' ... it'll recover almost immediately :¬)
The GPU driver will update frequently ... maybe the problem, but if it's Nvidia ... usually something that you don't have but the GPU/Nvidia think you should have...present upgrade is for VReality....now we all have that ;¬)
Wed 23/12/15 at 16:25
"Are you sure?"
I have my own Windows 10 PC at last - only had it a week so still playing :¬)

It's an i7 processor with an SSD hard drive - very impressed with how quickly it starts up!

It's native screen resolution is 1920x1080 so some text can appear quite small. The touch screen can pinch/zoom well but only when using certain apps and not on the Windows system dialogues.

I've tweaked this, not by changing the resolution but by up-scaling things.
Settings > System > Display > "Change the size of text, apps and other items" - this seems to work well. You can change the up-scaling percentage to make things more comfortable.

Looking around I can see this issue is affecting others - for the even higher 4k resolutions the issue will be worse.

My First Windows 10 BSOD
I've just been playing around with 'Wifi Direct' to 'cast' content to my Smart TV. The TV could see the PC and vice versa but things weren't quite there - lots of "That didn't work" messages at the crucial point after inputting PINs etc.
After much playing it looked as if the Wifi Direct connection was just about sorted when the PC started to go pear shaped. I tried Restarting it which ended up in a BSOD. This is the point you wish you hadn't bothered experimenting! Pleased to say it automatically Restarted and recovered from the BSOD.

Just updating the GPU driver as I type this...
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Mon 14/12/15 at 12:31
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
3 updates and an upgrade and W10 November version is installed ... 3.54GB!

Two and half hours and finally finished getting back what had disappeared or had been changed! So much for "your data and files will be the same".

Desktop background had also disappeared and those annoying shortcut arrows had re-appeared ... easy to rectify though.

So what's new ;¬)

Your 'choice' of accent colour will now appear as a top border to your 'windows'

Right click Windows Start and your options will be on a black background with white text ... I don't mind this:¬)

Not a lot else tbh, 'All Settings' window seems to have been 'squared up' but ... no doubt others will 'fill in' the missing bits in this Windows 10 upgrade...
Mon 14/12/15 at 10:14
"Are you sure?"
@DL Have you checked to see if your devices are running 'the November update'? See earlier info on version numbers.

I remember when W10 first came out you had a query over your broadband usage - at 3GB a time this automatic download over a number of devices is a decent amount if it happens during peak time. Basically a repeat of what you saw last time.

Microsoft's November Update page.

For most people this update should happen without any drama, as I mentioned I'm guessing I was unlucky.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.