GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"E3 Review Part 2 - PC"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/06/15 at 09:41
"possibly impossible"
Yes, it's so big it needs 2 posts!

So with the big 3 out of the way, this part of the review covers the new PC show.

PC GamingShow
Yes, this is really the first time there has been a dedicated PC show at E3. Though many developers and publishers have held their own areas for their PC games, the fact that there is a dedicated show, put on by PC Gamer Magazine, shows just how prolific PC gaming is at the moment.

The show started well with a jab at those who think PC gaming is Minesweeper by actually featuring Minesweeper. Hey, that and Solitare kept me from boredom on many a temping job! Plenty of classics on the trailer, Wing Commander, Prince of Persia. So. Many. Memories. No Apogee games, though. How could they?

The setup seems to be very much chatshow orientated, a desk and a couch. All very cosy.

Killing Floor 2 gets the first proper show time and it looks...bloody. Also very nice, it's got to be running on something pretty high end, though. Then Rising Storm 2, which is another franchise going to Vietnam, followed by 'how we do motion capture' part 302 (honestly, if you've seen one motion capture explanation then you've seen them all).

Hardware! Radeon guy that looks a bit like Agent 47's dad talks about why you should by AMD because, you know, DX12.

Deus Ex sequel getting a showing. Looks pretty much as you'd imagine. They're explaining the new graphical features like Global Illumination, but it can all be summed up by 'it looks more pretty'.

Total War looks nice but I've never been in to the series. Mind you, that pretty much goes for all the MMO/RPG stuff throughout the show.

Phil Spencer has defected...no, he's popped over from Xbox to talk about Xbox on Windows. So that's Forza, Gears of War...Halo.....er...no, Fable actually and, um, Killer Instinct.

At least the next game is bright and colourful. Gigantic looks pretty fun, actually and no blood or dark brooding heroes, yey! And there's a Beta in August too. Also we have Gears of War remaster and Sea of Thieves (RARE's return to proper gaming, hopefully).

Away from Xbox, there's the return of PC gaming stable Simulators with American Truck Simulator. It looks...thrilling. Yes, I admit to playing Euro Truck and it was interesting, but, still...

Oh, now here's something I can get behind, Eve Valkyrie. Looks another nice space shooter. Then Strafe, which is like going back in time to old Doom style shooters but with more polygon blood.

David Braben of Elite turns up but talks about some new Roller Coaster game. Like we need another one. Planet Coaster. Do we care?

Breezing past Guild Wars 2 and Hitman, we get more hardware (is this show sponsored by Radeon?) which seems to go on forever and then a new add on for Arma III, everyone's favourite war sim.

Beyond Eyes looks good and a little different, taking the idea of blindness into gaming (though not the first game to do that). Very pretty graphics, is that ironic?

Dirty Bomb is another new shooter (can you have too many? probably!) and you can play it right now. Soma looks ok, Day Z bragging about how many people playing it (and it still has bugs) then Take On Mars, which is like Aha's Take On Me but with less Morten Harket and more Total Recall.

Enter the Gungeon, the gunfight dungeon crawler, gets more modes and content. It looks cute. Some more add-on content for other games and then, boom, No Man's Sky.

Honestly, if No Man's Sky isn't as good as promised then I'll be very disappointed.

It's a good note to end on, though and there goes the first PC show of E3.
Mon 22/06/15 at 09:41
"possibly impossible"
Yes, it's so big it needs 2 posts!

So with the big 3 out of the way, this part of the review covers the new PC show.

PC GamingShow
Yes, this is really the first time there has been a dedicated PC show at E3. Though many developers and publishers have held their own areas for their PC games, the fact that there is a dedicated show, put on by PC Gamer Magazine, shows just how prolific PC gaming is at the moment.

The show started well with a jab at those who think PC gaming is Minesweeper by actually featuring Minesweeper. Hey, that and Solitare kept me from boredom on many a temping job! Plenty of classics on the trailer, Wing Commander, Prince of Persia. So. Many. Memories. No Apogee games, though. How could they?

The setup seems to be very much chatshow orientated, a desk and a couch. All very cosy.

Killing Floor 2 gets the first proper show time and it looks...bloody. Also very nice, it's got to be running on something pretty high end, though. Then Rising Storm 2, which is another franchise going to Vietnam, followed by 'how we do motion capture' part 302 (honestly, if you've seen one motion capture explanation then you've seen them all).

Hardware! Radeon guy that looks a bit like Agent 47's dad talks about why you should by AMD because, you know, DX12.

Deus Ex sequel getting a showing. Looks pretty much as you'd imagine. They're explaining the new graphical features like Global Illumination, but it can all be summed up by 'it looks more pretty'.

Total War looks nice but I've never been in to the series. Mind you, that pretty much goes for all the MMO/RPG stuff throughout the show.

Phil Spencer has defected...no, he's popped over from Xbox to talk about Xbox on Windows. So that's Forza, Gears of War...Halo.....er...no, Fable actually and, um, Killer Instinct.

At least the next game is bright and colourful. Gigantic looks pretty fun, actually and no blood or dark brooding heroes, yey! And there's a Beta in August too. Also we have Gears of War remaster and Sea of Thieves (RARE's return to proper gaming, hopefully).

Away from Xbox, there's the return of PC gaming stable Simulators with American Truck Simulator. It looks...thrilling. Yes, I admit to playing Euro Truck and it was interesting, but, still...

Oh, now here's something I can get behind, Eve Valkyrie. Looks another nice space shooter. Then Strafe, which is like going back in time to old Doom style shooters but with more polygon blood.

David Braben of Elite turns up but talks about some new Roller Coaster game. Like we need another one. Planet Coaster. Do we care?

Breezing past Guild Wars 2 and Hitman, we get more hardware (is this show sponsored by Radeon?) which seems to go on forever and then a new add on for Arma III, everyone's favourite war sim.

Beyond Eyes looks good and a little different, taking the idea of blindness into gaming (though not the first game to do that). Very pretty graphics, is that ironic?

Dirty Bomb is another new shooter (can you have too many? probably!) and you can play it right now. Soma looks ok, Day Z bragging about how many people playing it (and it still has bugs) then Take On Mars, which is like Aha's Take On Me but with less Morten Harket and more Total Recall.

Enter the Gungeon, the gunfight dungeon crawler, gets more modes and content. It looks cute. Some more add-on content for other games and then, boom, No Man's Sky.

Honestly, if No Man's Sky isn't as good as promised then I'll be very disappointed.

It's a good note to end on, though and there goes the first PC show of E3.
Mon 22/06/15 at 10:57
Regular
"And in last place.."
I have a concern that No Man's Sky is being over-hyped. Sure it looks nice but there doesn't seem to be a great deal happening. Unless they are holding a lot back, I think I'll get bored of it rather quickly.
Tue 23/06/15 at 08:44
"possibly impossible"
I share your concern but I live in hope that it's a cool game. Mind you, I think I'd be happy just wondering around finding different planets and getting involved in space battles.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.