GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation3?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/10/00 at 02:40
Regular
Did you hear that Sony, makers of the new playstation2 is working on the new system that may or may not be coming. It will be called the Playstation3. If you ask me I would wait until the PS3 has more
information.
Mon 23/10/00 at 13:14
No. Not for a long, long time. The PlayStation was EXTREMELY sucsessful, I mean look, even with the PS2 being shipped in they are still making PSX games.
The new PS2 will have a long and promising life.
Sat 21/10/00 at 21:59
> Sorry Babylonian, slight misunderstanding. I too am a PS2 fan and
> my smoking reference was to the person saying stuff about it
> interfering with radars (new to this forum lark).

Ah, I see - now the smoke has cleared! My apologies.

By the way, Venger... does the name imply you are a Vengaboys or Arsenal fan? Sorry if that's a silly question... :-)
Sat 21/10/00 at 21:14
As japanese companies such as shimano(the bike mech people) release products on a schedule maybee Ps3,4,5&6 are in running development programs or finished. Shimano have (alegedly) products designed in the sixties not yet released and the just update them to modern materials standards. If the console makers do this then it is probably best to concentrate on whats here now, after all when does big business listen to the individual( ie: us)
Sat 21/10/00 at 19:50
Babylonian wrote:
> Me? No. My preferred console is PS2, but I'm mature enough to
> realise that the other machines have their place in the market.
>
> As amazing as some of us think the PS2 is, the fact remains that
> not *everyone* feels that way - and that is their right.
>
> What is the point in getting into countless "mine's better
> than yours" discussions? I know what I want, and I believe
> that Sony's machines best fits those needs at the moment. X-Box
> and GameCube may prove to be better machines, but they're not
> available yet. I admit to being a fan of Sony's (I have lots of
> their equipment besides PlayStation 1 & 2 - TV, video, DVD,
> camcorder,hi-fi, etc...), but I'm not narrow-minded enough to
> totally restrict myself when it comes to the games machines.
>
> IF X-Box and GameCube prove to be good enough when they're
> released (demos are fine, but can be misleading), and IF they have
> enough of the games I want to play, then I will consider buying
> them, but to use AS WELL AS my PS2, and NOT to replace it.
>
> X-Box is based on PC technology; if it only churns out games that
> are also available on PC, then I will stick with my PC.
>
> Similarly, if GameCube only carries flashier versions of the Mario
> and Donkey Kong games etc., I won't bother with that either.
>
> Both machines will have to offer something that I can't do on
> either my PC or PS2.

Sorry Babylonian, slight misunderstanding. I too am a PS2 fan and my smoking reference was to the person saying stuff about it interfering with radars (new to this forum lark).
Sat 21/10/00 at 13:15
Regular
Although to us, err, mature gamers, the design of the Gamecube doesn't matter, but to other less fortuante in the head department people, the "kiddy" machine may not be a good platform to release your latest game on.
So not really people buying the console being childish, but the actual game developers shunning it.
Sat 21/10/00 at 11:41
I have to agree with you there. I only got a playstation after I was a pc gamer because it offered me a greater range of gaming possibilities. I could have and still could get all the consoles and therefore any game I liked I could play, but I don't think I'd find time for this to be realistic.
Sat 21/10/00 at 10:39
Me? No. My preferred console is PS2, but I'm mature enough to realise that the other machines have their place in the market.

As amazing as some of us think the PS2 is, the fact remains that not *everyone* feels that way - and that is their right.

What is the point in getting into countless "mine's better than yours" discussions? I know what I want, and I believe that Sony's machines best fits those needs at the moment. X-Box and GameCube may prove to be better machines, but they're not available yet. I admit to being a fan of Sony's (I have lots of their equipment besides PlayStation 1 & 2 - TV, video, DVD, camcorder,hi-fi, etc...), but I'm not narrow-minded enough to totally restrict myself when it comes to the games machines.

IF X-Box and GameCube prove to be good enough when they're released (demos are fine, but can be misleading), and IF they have enough of the games I want to play, then I will consider buying them, but to use AS WELL AS my PS2, and NOT to replace it.

X-Box is based on PC technology; if it only churns out games that are also available on PC, then I will stick with my PC.

Similarly, if GameCube only carries flashier versions of the Mario and Donkey Kong games etc., I won't bother with that either.

Both machines will have to offer something that I can't do on either my PC or PS2.
Sat 21/10/00 at 04:43
Mate, have you been smoking something?
Sat 21/10/00 at 00:21
> Ps2 is the only one that will survive.
>
> Humm. Although most of his writing was filled with explenatives,
> he may have a point.
>
> Sega, although I am dreading it, seem doomed. Although this will
> not stop me from buying a Dreamcast for Christmas, I am already
> predicting that Sega are going to dig a hole, and forget how to
> get out.

I think they did that with the 32X and Saturn.

I'd like to see Dreamcast be a success for them, despite having 'gone off of them' recently.

Let's face it, without their contributions, consoles wouldn't be where they are today.

> Nintendo, unfortuntly again, have made a purple cube. Already
> critised as a "kiddy" machine (But consoles ARE toys!)
> its unlikely that the console will sell as many as it should do.

It does look like a Fisher Price toy, but that doesn't matter at all. It's what's inside that counts. My only doubt, as stated elsewhere in these forums, is the - errmmm - 'original' media format they've chosen. (For original, read 'potentially, expensive to the point of exclusion' !!!)

> So that leaves Microsoft and Sony, who both have enough money to
> bail themselves out of anything.
>
> Its a shame really, but it may happen.

It would indeed be a shame.
Fri 20/10/00 at 22:23
I heard the Ps3 has a built in Harley wayhayeeeeeeeeeeeee.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.