GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
".. like a hare dipped in rainbow paint."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 04/04/15 at 22:40
Regular
Seems to be a lack of offerings on your site regarding Fiber.

According to BT it's available on my Exchange
http://imgur.com/9QdWSuG

I would prefer to stay with Freeola, as the connection has been pretty good lately, but I'm looking at all the other sites, offering ten times the speed, and unlimited downloads, preferences be dammed.

Here I sit, going over my 40GB, getting charged, trying to stay up in the wee hours to download when it's free, speeds so slow in comparison that I have to actively manage my connection to be able to surf while my nexus 7 is updating, when I could be flying along like a hare dipped in rainbow paint.

So question - what's the word on FTTC....

Also, as an aside, how come its faster, I mean the last bit still goes over the old copper, so what's the protocol that manages the extra speed there??
Mon 06/04/15 at 12:56
Regular
Just one more comment, before I go,

Although I have now found 5 or so, suitable ISP's that will provide me with 80/20 & unlimited data, I would like to point out...the cost is a little more than getting 80/20 here would be on a nominal 40Gb plan.

If you are fine with doing your heavy lifting at night and on the weekends, and you can schedule your downloads in the applications you use. Then I'd recommend you just upgrade here, and carry on as normal, with better speeds.

However, lately I found there is a psychological and physiological cost associated with this type of data management for me, that although subtle is noticeable and as you get older is not worth the cost saving.

Having to organise your day, and time to be able to eg watch a video, gets really restrictive. Mostly using the internet at night instead of the day alters your lifestyle, even so far as getting less light and associated problems that causes.
To be able to just download the information or resources when you need them is really beneficial to a nice simple life.

As I said though if none of that bothers you, you're not that old ;) and you'll be fine doing your management and saving on costs.

Regards.
Mon 06/04/15 at 11:38
Regular
Fiber vs. Fibre

One makes you go faster

So pretty much no difference, just don't sprinkle bits on your breakfast
Sun 05/04/15 at 20:25
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
PS Fibre here in Blighty! ;¬)

;¬)
Sun 05/04/15 at 17:13
"Are you sure?"
Thanks for the update TT

I make use of a lot of Freeola's complimentary services so it makes sense and works well for me to pay the extra - but I'm also hoping that Freeola FTTC will become more competitively priced before too long.

Hope to see you back here one day.

PS Fibre here in Blighty! ;¬)
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 05/04/15 at 13:18
Regular
Nice Support Guy, gave me the details I asked for about prices, and speeds etc, and as that info is not on the site, I'd imagine they don't want it on the forum, so I wont repeat it.

As I don't use any web services or other offerings from freeola, the increased cost of fiber with the same data caps make it a rather silly upgrade for me.

There are several other top isp's that offer 80/20 Fiber Unlimited and for equivalent or lower cost.
While I appreciate the reliability of Freeola, times have moved on, and these caps are arbitrary and limiting at best.

MAC requested, hopefully I will be on Fiber within 2 weeks and uploading all my data and downloading resources much quicker, giving me much more free time..

All the best, and thanks for the previous service, will check back in 18months when my next contract runs out, just to see if caps or prices change.

Regards
Transmit This
Sun 05/04/15 at 01:36
Regular
Thanks, wondered what that acronym was.

So it seems I'll be retiring my old NG834Gv3 And I'll try to get AC wireless to match up with my other equipment.

Are there router/modems like the above for the fiber? or is it a case of 2 separate devices.... I guess more research is in order, After Dirt3 has download, they re-released it with all content, and no gfw live login, so get it if you had the old version.

Hrm, yes back on topic, LiveDrive, yes I thought that was great, but with upload speeds so low it was rather pointless previously.

That is a benefit of this ISP, that I noted, but I'm leaning towards Amazon Glacier, to store all my rarely used stuff. very cheap for archiving all that old data - and it will free up a 4TB clone drive, (instead of cloning the backup will be online, but I'll still have the original so best of both worlds)

Then I could do a backup of my SSD nightly online, so limits would be bad. Would be awesome to be able to have an online backup,

And all my music can be uploaded to Gmusic.... oh the possibilities.

Not to mention, I could upgrade my home security, and have live streaming security cams.

Even start a youtube or twitch stream, now uploads are no problem.

I'm so excited that FTTC is @ the Exchange. Even on the lower speed tiers, it will be 4 times as fast as now.

Think I best go lay down in a dark room, before my dribbling starts to make my keyboard soggy.
Sun 05/04/15 at 00:50
"Are you sure?"
The image you posted shows you are connected to 'cabinet 3'. EO (exchange only) lines can be a problem for some but you look fine and your speeds should be great.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]

You've previously mentioned using LiveDrive with Freeola, this works great on an FTTC connection!
Sun 05/04/15 at 00:34
Regular
Hrm, thanks, yes I did pop in a support ticket to ask, but thought I'd post here, in case there were things others thought I should know.

If the caps are still the same, I will probably choose another provider, as I hate keeping an eye on them, and downloading things at night, when I want to be actually surfing.

Nothing against freeola, but with Steam, and HD videos, and my recent foray into UE4 and the massive content library that kind of exploring uses, 40 GB is just not feasible.

I understand their need to charge more for other tiers, (despite the internet not being a bucket that will run out...) to keep funds coming in, but with so many others offering fiber unlimited for around 25-35pm inclusive the grass looks greener.

Still I'll wait for support and check out the prices before I request mac.

"Freeola who have answered many daft questions in the build up to my FTTC upgrade "

If you want to give me any random info about FTTC, please go ahead, save me thinking up the questions and then asking them :)

I'm not sure what a "Cabinate" is, I imagine in my case it's the Exchange itself and not one of those green box's. Luckly I'm only a about 150meters, straight, and 240 meters via roads from the Exchange Itself so speeds should be good.
Sun 05/04/15 at 00:02
"Are you sure?"
Here's my previous Freeola FTTC post. You still have to contact Freeola to move to fibre.

The allowances are still the same as the standard packages though - not the newly introduced unlimited one. I've had to move to the next tarrif to save me from monitoring usage so closely. But moving to FTTC/VDSL has been a great improvement for me.

With fibre coming all the way to the local cabinet it's faster as there's less attenuation (loss of signal) over the line. But the higher frequencies of VDSL don't work well over longer lengths of copper used in the 'last mile', so being close to you local cabinet with VDSL is as important as being close to your exchange is for ADSL.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sat 04/04/15 at 23:42
Regular
To answer my own, and your Q, I think it's down to length.

Both fiber and copper can carry 1Gbit/s but copper degrades faster over longer distances.

probably down to the electrons in the cable suffering entropy, etc, while the fiber at least some of it will be optical, and should bounce around those photons without much loss.

So, If I'm not pulling too much out of my donkey, it seems like, that even with the old copper, as long as you're not too far 300meters?? from the optical source you will get greater speeds.

Something to do with Interface Specification called DOCSIS and a new router to support such, and then i got bored doing research and made a cup of tea.
:)

EDIT
thanks pb, was already penning this missive when you posted, dam, if you had been quicker, you would have saved me all that work....

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.