GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Printers???"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 26/03/15 at 19:49
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I don't profess to being any 'expert' with printers! I use them, you all use them ... they're just there!

My present printer, Kodak ESP C110 has been a stalwart for the last few years. I don't 'print' as much as I used to do but recently its capabilities to scan and copy have been excellent, especially during the last 4 months of dealing with my dad's estate.

Today I did need to print a letter. Black ink 80%, Colour 20%. First print ... every second line was unreadable! Cleaned printheads ... 2nd, 3rd & 4th attempts produced poorer quality results.

Looked at black print cartridge and it seemed empty, but was showing as 80% full. Changed black cartridge for a new one ... 100% showing now. First print of letter ... no text whatsoever!

Gave up and changed the letter font to Dark Blue ... guess what ... first print ... perfect result!

So, question ... print heads ... if my printer prints a document in dark blue with only a 20% cartridge, why won't it print it in black and white with a 100% cartridge!

Are there two separate 'printheads' or just one? And why is this happening?

Any suggestions?
Fri 27/03/15 at 18:09
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Thanks for that Eccles ... sorry I'm late in replying but new PC and Mrs DL's new laptop arrived this morning ... had to set hers up first ;¬)

I'll give your suggestion a go but somehow I think I went down those routes a few weeks ago and got no joy except a 'possible printhead' problem!

Strange how a letter produced in Word 2002 won't print in B&W but will print if the font colour is changed and the black cartridge is at 100% but a copied item will print everything ... black and colour?
Fri 27/03/15 at 12:16
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Start here and try the printhead clean and re-calibration. If there is no improvement then it's time for this.
Thu 26/03/15 at 22:39
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Eccles wrote:
I don't buy inkjet printers any more as you can get a networked colour laser printer for under £100 and these don't suffer from infrequent use. I have a Dell, which is an LED based printer and a full set of aftermarket toners are £28.

Please tell me more Eccles, as I suspected this 'printhead' malarky a few weeks ago.

This never happened with HP or Canon printers I've had in the past.

Thu 26/03/15 at 20:20
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Seems that you have been lucky with that printer until now, lots of reports of the same problem. One thing you can try is go through the print head replacement procedure, remove the installed print head, leave it out for a minute, reinstall it and then run through a print head clean using the Kodak printer driver software. Otherwise it's new print head time.
I don't buy inkjet printers any more as you can get a networked colour laser printer for under £100 and these don't suffer from infrequent use. I have a Dell, which is an LED based printer and a full set of aftermarket toners are £28.
Thu 26/03/15 at 19:49
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I don't profess to being any 'expert' with printers! I use them, you all use them ... they're just there!

My present printer, Kodak ESP C110 has been a stalwart for the last few years. I don't 'print' as much as I used to do but recently its capabilities to scan and copy have been excellent, especially during the last 4 months of dealing with my dad's estate.

Today I did need to print a letter. Black ink 80%, Colour 20%. First print ... every second line was unreadable! Cleaned printheads ... 2nd, 3rd & 4th attempts produced poorer quality results.

Looked at black print cartridge and it seemed empty, but was showing as 80% full. Changed black cartridge for a new one ... 100% showing now. First print of letter ... no text whatsoever!

Gave up and changed the letter font to Dark Blue ... guess what ... first print ... perfect result!

So, question ... print heads ... if my printer prints a document in dark blue with only a 20% cartridge, why won't it print it in black and white with a 100% cartridge!

Are there two separate 'printheads' or just one? And why is this happening?

Any suggestions?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.