GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[GAME] Nintendo Pocket Football Club (3DS)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/03/15 at 16:20
Regular
"And in last place.."
With all those monsters available for collection on the 3DS you may not have space in your pocket for a football club; fortunately my pockets had plenty of space.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club (NPFC) presents 3DS owners with the opportunity to experience the highs and lows of football management. Those expecting the layers of tactical depth and the mountain of stats that comes with Football Manager (FM) will be disappointed but those willing to give this game a chance may very well be presently surprised.

The first task in any football management game is create your management profile and get yourself a job. NPFC allows the fans to put a face to the manager name since you need to pick a Mii. The chosen Mii gets a nice suit jacket and a tie to create a professional look; my little Mii has never looked so smart. Getting a job is a little different to FM in that there is no pushing your way into the hotseat at your favourite club in one of Europe’s top leagues; here you’ll be starting off at the lowest tier and working your way up.

There only appears to be one vacancy but they are clearly glad to have you on board. The club coach and secretary welcome you and since there is no demanding board to satisfy you are instantly rewarded with almost King like powers. Before you have even looked at the team you’ll have changed the team name, changed the club crest and completely redesigned the strip. And there is nothing quite like rounding off this power trip by granting each and every one of your playing squad a new name. Your reign has started.

A quick look at the team shows a lack of depth. A quick look at the transfer funds shows a distinct lack of anything so you need to work with what you have for now. Not to worry, another round of name changing can also give the impression that there have been some new signings.

There are no FIFA style licenses here. All the team names are fictional, there are no real players and there are no real leagues or competitions. This will be a problem to some but it isn’t something that bothers me.

You have a few weeks before the season starts which gives you time to find your feet with the game and gives you a chance to shape your team before the real business begins. The pre-season involves playing a practice, friendly or competitive matches. The practice match lasts a single half whereas the friendly and competitive matches both last a full match; the difference between them is that the fans take into account the results of competitive matches. As in real football, the fans are your best friend when you are doing well but they can turn against you when things go pear shaped. It’s is best to start out with some friendlies and practice matches; there is plenty of time for them to be upset later.

The full FM experience isn’t best suited to a portable device; especially with screens this size. FM Handheld was a stripped down experience of the main FM game and NPFC is stripped down a little further. In comparison it may seem a little shallow but it does have a little trick or 2 up its sleeve. Formation selection is similar to any other football management game. The tactical mentality of the team is similar to FM handheld; balanced, attacking or defensive. You can define the zones the defence, midfield and attackers will operate in. A little look at the opposition team will allow you to identify up to 3 players for your team to pay particular attention to. In terms of your own team you can select free kick takes, corner kicks and penalty takers but there is no captaincy role. Once you have set your tactics and picked your starting 11 all there is left to do is let them loose on the football park.

You’ll be watching your stars in the making on match day. You are greeted with some chants from the fans and the odds given for each team’s success. If it is a home game then the first thing you may notice is the pitch. Your team’s lowest tier standing is clear with patches of the pitch missing grass. A few minutes of watching your headless chickens run around is an eye opener; for me the moment where my midfielder tried to pass to a team mate 2 metres in front of him and proceeded to whack him in the face with the ball had me wondering if I should go back to FM Handheld.

In game tactical changes are out. Yes you read that right, you cannot change the tactics on the fly. The only times you can change the tactics is with a substitution or at half time. It’s an interesting approach that FM veterans may struggle with but it just means you need to get your tactics right at the start. Another interesting restriction is the lack of player ratings. You are able to see their stamina levels but the game gives you no indication as to how they are playing. Of course, you don’t need that rating as you’ve been watching the action and can decide for yourself.

The cartoon visuals are a world away from the latest FIFA games and there is no motion captured action to enjoy of player likeness. Where it absolutely trumps FIFA is the charm and character on show; the despair the players show when getting a booking almost makes you feel sorry for them.

During a match your Mii will pop up (did I mention how smart he looks in a suit?) with his current thoughts on what the team need to work on. Certain words are highlighted in red and these are in reference to the training cards which are randomly awarded. Each match awards various training cards to be used, not surprisingly, in training. The cards are broken down into categories: tactical, physical, technical and support. You can apply up to 3 training cards to a player to boost their stats. Specific combinations of cards will create a special combo for an added bonus.

Each player has associated stats similar to FM but there are only 7 categories; far less in depth than FM but for my tastes, much more manageable. The categories are kicking, speed, will power, strength, jumping and technical. The ratings range from A to E with A being top of the class. You won’t be seeing any A’s in your team’s initial stats but with time they will get there. The categories a training card will boost are shown which allows you to focus the correct cards on the appropriate players and allow you to tune the players to way you’d like. Each player has a potential rating and those with a higher potential will respond better to the training. You won’t have enough cards to train all your players in each session so consideration is needed in picking those whose stats you wish to boost each session. Each player also has a type which can be fine-tuned or changed via the training; your defender can become a stopper and your striker can become a sprinter. There is plenty of room to improve the players and sculpt the type of team you want.

It doesn’t take long before the player stats start to show some promise and this shows on the park. Subtle changes with the play will start to creep in and you will start to notice players growing in confidence and your team starts to ping some passes about rather than assaulting each other with the ball. Your strikers will actually start to show some awareness of where the goal is and may even attempt an audacious lob from the half way line. I was gobsmacked the moment that one of my strikers volleyed a spectacular goal; when we started out he acted as if he had never seen a football before. Being able to see the difference in the performances is a great touch and adds a lot of meaning to the training. You will start to notice some creative freedom appearing if your team are doing well.

The leagues are much smaller than anything in real life; even smaller than the SPL but there is a league structure to work your way up and cups to take part in. Smaller leagues does means a short season but with plenty of opportuning to practice inbetween matches since league games don’t take place each week. Even with the small leagues, the game surprisingly eats up many hours.

There is a transfer market meaning you can bring in other players but the real focus is on improving what you have in the early days. This is certainly more rewarding than just buying your way to success but with a very different model to real football, you won’t be seeing any team in the same league have significantly more resources.

In terms of football managements sims on the 3DS this game has no competition. It lacks a lot of the depth of FM and is more likely to be something FM Handheld players would enjoy. It is however, full of charm, does things a little differently and is all the better for it. Above all else, it is no less addictive than any other football manager game and whilst it does lack depth, it isn’t quite as shallow as it first appears. Home win.

There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Mon 09/03/15 at 16:20
Regular
"And in last place.."
With all those monsters available for collection on the 3DS you may not have space in your pocket for a football club; fortunately my pockets had plenty of space.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club (NPFC) presents 3DS owners with the opportunity to experience the highs and lows of football management. Those expecting the layers of tactical depth and the mountain of stats that comes with Football Manager (FM) will be disappointed but those willing to give this game a chance may very well be presently surprised.

The first task in any football management game is create your management profile and get yourself a job. NPFC allows the fans to put a face to the manager name since you need to pick a Mii. The chosen Mii gets a nice suit jacket and a tie to create a professional look; my little Mii has never looked so smart. Getting a job is a little different to FM in that there is no pushing your way into the hotseat at your favourite club in one of Europe’s top leagues; here you’ll be starting off at the lowest tier and working your way up.

There only appears to be one vacancy but they are clearly glad to have you on board. The club coach and secretary welcome you and since there is no demanding board to satisfy you are instantly rewarded with almost King like powers. Before you have even looked at the team you’ll have changed the team name, changed the club crest and completely redesigned the strip. And there is nothing quite like rounding off this power trip by granting each and every one of your playing squad a new name. Your reign has started.

A quick look at the team shows a lack of depth. A quick look at the transfer funds shows a distinct lack of anything so you need to work with what you have for now. Not to worry, another round of name changing can also give the impression that there have been some new signings.

There are no FIFA style licenses here. All the team names are fictional, there are no real players and there are no real leagues or competitions. This will be a problem to some but it isn’t something that bothers me.

You have a few weeks before the season starts which gives you time to find your feet with the game and gives you a chance to shape your team before the real business begins. The pre-season involves playing a practice, friendly or competitive matches. The practice match lasts a single half whereas the friendly and competitive matches both last a full match; the difference between them is that the fans take into account the results of competitive matches. As in real football, the fans are your best friend when you are doing well but they can turn against you when things go pear shaped. It’s is best to start out with some friendlies and practice matches; there is plenty of time for them to be upset later.

The full FM experience isn’t best suited to a portable device; especially with screens this size. FM Handheld was a stripped down experience of the main FM game and NPFC is stripped down a little further. In comparison it may seem a little shallow but it does have a little trick or 2 up its sleeve. Formation selection is similar to any other football management game. The tactical mentality of the team is similar to FM handheld; balanced, attacking or defensive. You can define the zones the defence, midfield and attackers will operate in. A little look at the opposition team will allow you to identify up to 3 players for your team to pay particular attention to. In terms of your own team you can select free kick takes, corner kicks and penalty takers but there is no captaincy role. Once you have set your tactics and picked your starting 11 all there is left to do is let them loose on the football park.

You’ll be watching your stars in the making on match day. You are greeted with some chants from the fans and the odds given for each team’s success. If it is a home game then the first thing you may notice is the pitch. Your team’s lowest tier standing is clear with patches of the pitch missing grass. A few minutes of watching your headless chickens run around is an eye opener; for me the moment where my midfielder tried to pass to a team mate 2 metres in front of him and proceeded to whack him in the face with the ball had me wondering if I should go back to FM Handheld.

In game tactical changes are out. Yes you read that right, you cannot change the tactics on the fly. The only times you can change the tactics is with a substitution or at half time. It’s an interesting approach that FM veterans may struggle with but it just means you need to get your tactics right at the start. Another interesting restriction is the lack of player ratings. You are able to see their stamina levels but the game gives you no indication as to how they are playing. Of course, you don’t need that rating as you’ve been watching the action and can decide for yourself.

The cartoon visuals are a world away from the latest FIFA games and there is no motion captured action to enjoy of player likeness. Where it absolutely trumps FIFA is the charm and character on show; the despair the players show when getting a booking almost makes you feel sorry for them.

During a match your Mii will pop up (did I mention how smart he looks in a suit?) with his current thoughts on what the team need to work on. Certain words are highlighted in red and these are in reference to the training cards which are randomly awarded. Each match awards various training cards to be used, not surprisingly, in training. The cards are broken down into categories: tactical, physical, technical and support. You can apply up to 3 training cards to a player to boost their stats. Specific combinations of cards will create a special combo for an added bonus.

Each player has associated stats similar to FM but there are only 7 categories; far less in depth than FM but for my tastes, much more manageable. The categories are kicking, speed, will power, strength, jumping and technical. The ratings range from A to E with A being top of the class. You won’t be seeing any A’s in your team’s initial stats but with time they will get there. The categories a training card will boost are shown which allows you to focus the correct cards on the appropriate players and allow you to tune the players to way you’d like. Each player has a potential rating and those with a higher potential will respond better to the training. You won’t have enough cards to train all your players in each session so consideration is needed in picking those whose stats you wish to boost each session. Each player also has a type which can be fine-tuned or changed via the training; your defender can become a stopper and your striker can become a sprinter. There is plenty of room to improve the players and sculpt the type of team you want.

It doesn’t take long before the player stats start to show some promise and this shows on the park. Subtle changes with the play will start to creep in and you will start to notice players growing in confidence and your team starts to ping some passes about rather than assaulting each other with the ball. Your strikers will actually start to show some awareness of where the goal is and may even attempt an audacious lob from the half way line. I was gobsmacked the moment that one of my strikers volleyed a spectacular goal; when we started out he acted as if he had never seen a football before. Being able to see the difference in the performances is a great touch and adds a lot of meaning to the training. You will start to notice some creative freedom appearing if your team are doing well.

The leagues are much smaller than anything in real life; even smaller than the SPL but there is a league structure to work your way up and cups to take part in. Smaller leagues does means a short season but with plenty of opportuning to practice inbetween matches since league games don’t take place each week. Even with the small leagues, the game surprisingly eats up many hours.

There is a transfer market meaning you can bring in other players but the real focus is on improving what you have in the early days. This is certainly more rewarding than just buying your way to success but with a very different model to real football, you won’t be seeing any team in the same league have significantly more resources.

In terms of football managements sims on the 3DS this game has no competition. It lacks a lot of the depth of FM and is more likely to be something FM Handheld players would enjoy. It is however, full of charm, does things a little differently and is all the better for it. Above all else, it is no less addictive than any other football manager game and whilst it does lack depth, it isn’t quite as shallow as it first appears. Home win.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.