GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Instant Pro questions"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/01/15 at 15:04
"possibly impossible"
Yeah, I know there are tutorials but....

What I'm trying to do is to get a home page that has the latest updates from my various blog pages on a single page automatically pulled into it.

ie:

HOME

News item 1

News item 2

Review item 1

every time a new blog (in this case, News and Reviews in 2 separate blogs) is written.

It's pretty much a feature of many sites now so I assume it would be possible.
Sun 18/01/15 at 22:17
"Are you sure?"
pb wrote:
To be fair, if I knew about the one-click install Wordpress then that would have been a lot easier and Freeola does have a very good simple process for that.

Glad I could help pb.
Shows the benefit of a forum.
[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 18/01/15 at 19:04
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hang on in there pb ... if you need any 'raw coding' help ... then let us know :¬)
Sun 18/01/15 at 18:57
"possibly impossible"
Still experimenting with the InstantPro, I'm using it to set up a site to host my youtube videos and provide blog-like updates for them. I may keep it for that purpose using the free Freeola website.

My VIP+ site is currently having Wordpress installed and I'm going to have to book out some time to get up to speed on it in order to create the site I want. I'm hoping that by building up the content from previous content I have and then running it for a few weeks I might be able to get advertising to help pay for it then move away from my other site hosted by someone else (who has full control of the site and maintenance of it).

It's all fairly new to me but I'm happy to share my experiences here. My first comment is that while Freeola is pretty good value for money, the range of options is initially confusing and I wish there was just an easy 'if you want to build this, press this button' option. To be fair, if I knew about the one-click install Wordpress then that would have been a lot easier and Freeola does have a very good simple process for that.

I'm pretty excited about the future, though...
Sun 18/01/15 at 10:11
"possibly impossible"
chasfh wrote:
pb wrote:
[i]It's more from my own site's content, so I've set out a home page and several blog pages which I will continue to update. I may have to resort to getting better with Wordpress and using that to create my site instead, I was hoping that as Instant Pro was a paid product, it would be a little more flexible.

InstantPro on the whole is as flexible as it can be without getting overly complex (it is, after all, intended to be an "easy website builder"). Making it simple to use does result in some lesser- used, more complicated set ups being "missing" from the editor.

Having said that, the more you know about html coding and web site construction, the more "flexible" InstantPro becomes. Lots of additional features can be added with code snippets or plug ins, many of which are free and easily found via a quick Google search. A little trial and error will generally result in your finding a way to do most things.

What you CAN'T do is alter or edit the way the styling is formatted, so directly adding scrolling banners is a no-no for example (although there is nothing to stop you creating your "banner" and nav by hand as a separate page and then using the "combine page" function to add this to the top of your "content" pages; see what I mean when I say a little coding knowledge helps?).

More functions do get added to InstantPro as the demand climbs for particular things, providing we can find a fairly fool-proof and robust way of adding it without breaking the existing easy to use system (this is always going to be priority).

And as Hmmm... quite rightly pointed out, for those of you who feel InstantPro doesn't fit your needs, we do now offer one-click installs on VIP Hosting for things like Wordpress, Joomla etc. if you fancy taking the plunge with one of those...[/i]

Thanks Chas and Hmmm..., that helps me decide. InstantPro is certainly very easy to set up for a basic site, but I think my needs may be better suited by Wordpress. I've already bought the domain/web hosting and Instant Pro but I may have to make use of the money back guarantee on Instant Pro.

Thanks for your help.
Sat 17/01/15 at 13:38
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
pb wrote:
It's more from my own site's content, so I've set out a home page and several blog pages which I will continue to update. I may have to resort to getting better with Wordpress and using that to create my site instead, I was hoping that as Instant Pro was a paid product, it would be a little more flexible.

InstantPro on the whole is as flexible as it can be without getting overly complex (it is, after all, intended to be an "easy website builder"). Making it simple to use does result in some lesser- used, more complicated set ups being "missing" from the editor.

Having said that, the more you know about html coding and web site construction, the more "flexible" InstantPro becomes. Lots of additional features can be added with code snippets or plug ins, many of which are free and easily found via a quick Google search. A little trial and error will generally result in your finding a way to do most things.

What you CAN'T do is alter or edit the way the styling is formatted, so directly adding scrolling banners is a no-no for example (although there is nothing to stop you creating your "banner" and nav by hand as a separate page and then using the "combine page" function to add this to the top of your "content" pages; see what I mean when I say a little coding knowledge helps?).

More functions do get added to InstantPro as the demand climbs for particular things, providing we can find a fairly fool-proof and robust way of adding it without breaking the existing easy to use system (this is always going to be priority).

And as Hmmm... quite rightly pointed out, for those of you who feel InstantPro doesn't fit your needs, we do now offer one-click installs on VIP Hosting for things like Wordpress, Joomla etc. if you fancy taking the plunge with one of those...
Sat 17/01/15 at 11:46
"Are you sure?"
You can change lots of things but you may find you can't use some 'carousel' type scripts as they are often powered by JavaScript.

I see there's a 30 day money back offer so you could try InstantPro and see how you get on.

Have you seen Freeola now also offer numerous other CMS packages with a One Click Install which may suit you?

[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola InstantPro Site
Sat 17/01/15 at 09:36
"possibly impossible"
Another question.

Are you stuck with the layout that it gives you or can you add things like rotating banners with the latest stories on under your title banner?
Fri 16/01/15 at 22:59
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Now there by hangs a tale ... ;¬)
Fri 16/01/15 at 18:36
"possibly impossible"
It's more from my own site's content, so I've set out a home page and several blog pages which I will continue to update. I may have to resort to getting better with Wordpress and using that to create my site instead, I was hoping that as Instant Pro was a paid product, it would be a little more flexible.
Fri 16/01/15 at 16:20
"Are you sure?"
Hi pb,
This might not be as straight forward as you think!
Dr. Garin or Eccles might have some better advice for you if they see this...

Often sites will be making use of an API, Widget or RSS feed to display data. Or some sites will 'scrape' the content (this can have issues such as copyright and DOS if done wrong!).

You've mentioned using InstantPro - the above methods may need functionality you can't use with an IP site.

Off the top of my head you could use Twitter as you can embed these feeds using Twitter's API on InstantPro, or perhaps make use of an iFrame?

I'll be interested in what others say myself :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola InstantPro Site

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.