GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game] NES Remix 2 (Nintendo eShop)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/10/14 at 23:53
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
The original NES Remix ended up being a pleasant early Christmas surprise for Wii U owners last year – it’s quick fire, challenge based approach to some NES favourites making for the sort of experiment you’d not normally associate with the publisher. Sure it had its shortcomings, but it was a game that definitely showed potential should a series end up taking shape. And would you know it just four months later here we are with a sequel taking twelve all new NES titles and giving them the same treatment.

When looking at NES Remix 2’s contents it’s hard not to be pleased with its selection of classics this time around. While the original had its memorable experiences like the original Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda, it also housed its share of throwaways. NES Remix 2 features classics all will recognise such as Super Mario Bros 2 and 3, The Lost Levels, Metroid, Kirby’s Adventure and Punch Out to name a few, most of which control pretty decent. Of course there is the odd red flag here and there primarily in the form of Wario’s Woods – an awful little puzzle game that is about as much fun to play as it is to control. Still one or two duds is a decent hit rate overall.

As was the case with the original NES Remix, each game is split into a number of smaller challenges that aim to both introduce you to its gameplay and then later polish off those skills. The opening missions for Super Mario Bros 2 for example see you simply uprooting and throwing vegetables while later on it may ask you to launch them at enemies before ending with several boss battles against Birdo. Sure if you’re new to these NES classics then the early almost tutorial-esque missions will ease you into things rather well. If however like me you’ve played through the original games many times over you may find yourself a little bored of all the fairly mundane tasks you’re presented with. There are even a handful of challenges that first simply task you with watching a tutorial video – something that quickly irritates should you want to replay for a better score.

You’re awarded one, two or three stars based on your performance in each challenge which as you gather more will unlock Remix stages. Unlike the standard mission types, these alter the games in a number of quirky and fun ways. One Super Mario Bros 3 stage for example saw me making my way across the game’s infamous airship stage. The catch here however is the foreground disappears every few seconds making things significantly tougher. Another instance had me collecting coins in one of the Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels bonus stages playing as Link, Kirby or even Samus. It’s these stages where the game has the chance to surprise by taking these familiar and beloved classics and twisting them in ways that make them feel fresh and exciting again. It’s just a real shame there aren’t more of them to be found though.

Replays of your best times and others online for individual challenges are new this time around although leaderboards are once again absent – a real strange omission and one that is sorely felt. Stamps also return for use in the Miiverse.

When it comes to the main campaign of the game the general feeling given off was one of restraint. All I could think was how the game could have taken a few pages from WarioWare’s book in offering a more fast paced, more exciting version of itself. The Remix stages are proof the series has so much to offer but with too few of them on display and far too many pedestrian missions the game never gets its chance to soar high.

Two extra modes help bulk out the package a little, the first being Super Luigi Bros, a reversed take on the original Super Mario Bros that sees you playing the entirety of the game as Luigi running from right to left. It’s certainly weird going against your instincts of heading right but an addition sure to please long term Nintendo fans. Nintendo World Championships Remix meanwhile in a nod to the competition the company held back in the 1990’s scores you on three different challenges (one from Super Mario Bros, one from Super Mario Bros 3 and the last from Dr. Mario). An online leaderboard then shows how you compare with the rest of the world. This is an excellent idea and one that could have truly extended the life of the game had these challenges been rotated over time. As it stands however it appears as if the three on offer here is and always will be it. A real missed opportunity.

Visually, NES Remix 2 is what you’d expect from a compilation of old NES games right down to the slowdown. Some remixed attempts do offer a little touches like a change in background or shadows on sprites but overall it’s all kept very much in line with the original versions which I guess is what you’d want really. Sound wise again features the exact same tunes and sound effects with the odd exception here and there including one pretty nice Christmas themed version of the original Super Mario Bros music.

Overall NES Remix 2 feels like a slight step above its predecessor. While the selection of classics on offer is easily the better of the two titles, like the original, the game still struggles to reach what I feel is its full potential thanks to an annoyingly slow start and some at times pretty dull challenges. While the game is still good fun, it still feels like Nintendo is holding back in terms of wackiness and surprises. Here’s hoping future additions to the series take a little more risk.

7/10
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Sun 26/10/14 at 23:53
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
The original NES Remix ended up being a pleasant early Christmas surprise for Wii U owners last year – it’s quick fire, challenge based approach to some NES favourites making for the sort of experiment you’d not normally associate with the publisher. Sure it had its shortcomings, but it was a game that definitely showed potential should a series end up taking shape. And would you know it just four months later here we are with a sequel taking twelve all new NES titles and giving them the same treatment.

When looking at NES Remix 2’s contents it’s hard not to be pleased with its selection of classics this time around. While the original had its memorable experiences like the original Super Mario Bros and Legend of Zelda, it also housed its share of throwaways. NES Remix 2 features classics all will recognise such as Super Mario Bros 2 and 3, The Lost Levels, Metroid, Kirby’s Adventure and Punch Out to name a few, most of which control pretty decent. Of course there is the odd red flag here and there primarily in the form of Wario’s Woods – an awful little puzzle game that is about as much fun to play as it is to control. Still one or two duds is a decent hit rate overall.

As was the case with the original NES Remix, each game is split into a number of smaller challenges that aim to both introduce you to its gameplay and then later polish off those skills. The opening missions for Super Mario Bros 2 for example see you simply uprooting and throwing vegetables while later on it may ask you to launch them at enemies before ending with several boss battles against Birdo. Sure if you’re new to these NES classics then the early almost tutorial-esque missions will ease you into things rather well. If however like me you’ve played through the original games many times over you may find yourself a little bored of all the fairly mundane tasks you’re presented with. There are even a handful of challenges that first simply task you with watching a tutorial video – something that quickly irritates should you want to replay for a better score.

You’re awarded one, two or three stars based on your performance in each challenge which as you gather more will unlock Remix stages. Unlike the standard mission types, these alter the games in a number of quirky and fun ways. One Super Mario Bros 3 stage for example saw me making my way across the game’s infamous airship stage. The catch here however is the foreground disappears every few seconds making things significantly tougher. Another instance had me collecting coins in one of the Super Mario Bros The Lost Levels bonus stages playing as Link, Kirby or even Samus. It’s these stages where the game has the chance to surprise by taking these familiar and beloved classics and twisting them in ways that make them feel fresh and exciting again. It’s just a real shame there aren’t more of them to be found though.

Replays of your best times and others online for individual challenges are new this time around although leaderboards are once again absent – a real strange omission and one that is sorely felt. Stamps also return for use in the Miiverse.

When it comes to the main campaign of the game the general feeling given off was one of restraint. All I could think was how the game could have taken a few pages from WarioWare’s book in offering a more fast paced, more exciting version of itself. The Remix stages are proof the series has so much to offer but with too few of them on display and far too many pedestrian missions the game never gets its chance to soar high.

Two extra modes help bulk out the package a little, the first being Super Luigi Bros, a reversed take on the original Super Mario Bros that sees you playing the entirety of the game as Luigi running from right to left. It’s certainly weird going against your instincts of heading right but an addition sure to please long term Nintendo fans. Nintendo World Championships Remix meanwhile in a nod to the competition the company held back in the 1990’s scores you on three different challenges (one from Super Mario Bros, one from Super Mario Bros 3 and the last from Dr. Mario). An online leaderboard then shows how you compare with the rest of the world. This is an excellent idea and one that could have truly extended the life of the game had these challenges been rotated over time. As it stands however it appears as if the three on offer here is and always will be it. A real missed opportunity.

Visually, NES Remix 2 is what you’d expect from a compilation of old NES games right down to the slowdown. Some remixed attempts do offer a little touches like a change in background or shadows on sprites but overall it’s all kept very much in line with the original versions which I guess is what you’d want really. Sound wise again features the exact same tunes and sound effects with the odd exception here and there including one pretty nice Christmas themed version of the original Super Mario Bros music.

Overall NES Remix 2 feels like a slight step above its predecessor. While the selection of classics on offer is easily the better of the two titles, like the original, the game still struggles to reach what I feel is its full potential thanks to an annoyingly slow start and some at times pretty dull challenges. While the game is still good fun, it still feels like Nintendo is holding back in terms of wackiness and surprises. Here’s hoping future additions to the series take a little more risk.

7/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.