GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamescom 2014 - Summary and thoughts"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/08/14 at 11:19
"possibly impossible"
Gamescom is a sort of second-fiddle E3, but geared towards a more European audience and taking place in Germany.

This year Microsoft and Sony were first up on Day 1 of the event and EA and Ubisoft take to the stage today.

Microsoft
Ubisoft took the opportunity to show of Assassin's Creed Unity (well, they haven't got their own press conference this year, so why not?) before EA went all FIFA on the audience and brought up classic legends to talk about the Xbox exclusive Team Legends feature, which adds more famous footballers I've never heard of. There's a special FIFA Xbox One bundle out on 25th September for £349.99, but it's not the only bundle...

ID@Xbox - basically Indie games - gets it's own trailer, with Goat Simulator and Fruit Ninja Kinnect 2 among the titles on offer over the next few months.

Super Hot needs its own space away from the other Indie announcements because it actually looks pretty good (and isn't an old PC port).

The Escapist is basically taking Prison Architect and making it a game based on the prisoners instead. It's interesting but so near in look to Prison Architect that it surprises me.

Advance Warfare is standard COD fare, but in the future so they can copy a bit of Titanfall as well, adding jet packs, a falling bridge and Idris Elba, man of the moment. Again, it comes in a bundle at launch for £429,99 without Kinnect but with a 1TB hard drive instead of 500GB.

Evolve is certainly one of the more interesting games on Xbox, a 4 vs 1 multiplayer where one player is an all-powerful alien and the others are humans. The party has to have one of each class, too, so I can imagine lots of fighting.

The biggest news of the day? Tomb Raider is an Xbox Exclusive. yes, that's right, it's not coming to PC or Playstation. That will annoy as many people as it pleases (maybe even more). Certainly a huge scoop for Microsoft but I feel Square will be fielding off flames for many months for this.

Quantum Break next and it's back to trying to do a game about freezing or slowing time. It seems to work ok here, but the fact that you have little control over time is odd (and I wouldn't walk in front of bullets if you didn't know when time was going to go back to normal, but maybe that's just me!). Interesting note: The hero is called Jack Choice. I mean, really?

Fable Legends gets another short trailer, just so we remember it still exists, and then Screemride, pretty much like Coaster Crazy on Wii U, PC and mobile but slightly more adult looking.

More free cars for Forza 5; a Formula E car and a Rolls Royce Wraith (trying saying that fast three times), which leads neatly on to Forza Horizon 2, which looks better and better every time I see it.

Sunset Overdrive is up next, the game about people mutating after they've drunk a fizzy drink (I've seen that in real life, it's called alchopops). It's just another playthrough but the game still looks like it's bursting with adrenaline, like some sort of hyperactive child given too many E numbers. And, you guessed it, it comes in a bundle at launch for £349.99 with a white Xbox One.

Halo is the focus for the next big section and it's Halo Channel given the spotlight, giving you access to the content from the games and the TV series that comes with Halo Master Chief Collection, also with a Halo 5 Beta included.

Final wrap up with the news that you can now pre-download pre-ordered games on Xbox One, just in time for Forza Horizon 2, and a third Geometry Wars game.

Sony

Sony are quick to announce their success, with 10 million sales of PS4. But, apparently, they're not resting on their laurels.

First up for Q Games (makers of the rather excellent Pixeljunk Monsters, which you really need to download on Steam, PS3, Vita, PSP) is their first 3D game; The Tomorrow Children. It's very strange to say the least, 'intriguing' is the word, I think.

Some more odd games now, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, which looks spooky, and Volume, coming first to PS4 and Vita. Then Hollow Point.

PS4 is getting Day Z, so hopefully they iron out all the bugs before it's released, then. No sign if it's an exclusive, that wasn't mentioned.

New game from the makers of Heavenly Sword which I thought WAS a new Heavenly Sword at first. It's not, it's called Hellblade and there's not really any more info bar an intro scene. Looks like it could be good, though.

Rime gets another showing, nearest thing to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, considering we don't have any more news on The Last Guardian.

Indie Time! Lost of Indie games, most will be familiar to PC games already, including Papers, Please!

Destiny shown off again (Sony like Bungie now) with exclusive content for PS4.

Ubisoft are back for a Far Cry 4 showing and news of an exclusive PS4 feature that lets you share 10 copies of the multiplayer game to play with friends for 2 hours each. Nice idea. Game is looking really good and you can ride on elephants!

Hideo Kojima comes on stage and we hear all about MGS's new box features that takes the in-game joke perhaps a little too far. It's more hiding in boxes, but bigger. Ultimate Hiding In Boxes? It'll be on Channel 5 soon.

The biggest news is that Playstation Now is going to be arriving in Europe next year, with the UK getting its hands on the service first. The PS4 is also getting Share Play, which lets you pass your game on to a friend to carry on playing if you get stuck, or just for them to experience the game if they don't own it. It's a pretty cool idea but I can imagine you're going to need a good upload speed on your connection to use it well.

Until Dawn, the horror game first shown off for PS3 and Move, is coming to PS4 instead. It's looking good, but will depend on exactly how much interaction you actually get in the game.

Driveclub, now going up against Forza Horizon 2, is up and it's looking lovely. The free copy if you're a PS+ member should be enough to convince many people to play it at least once, but then you can always buy the full version and keep your save, too.

Tearaway, the surprise hit on Vita last year, is getting a PS4 version which makes use of the PS4's functions and is a completely new story. I'm buying that, then.

Aliennation, sequel to Dead Nation, is coming to PS4 but I think a lot of people are a bit fed up of these top down shooters now.

Wild is the big surprise game of the show, not really much detail but a lovely trailer full of humans and animals working together. Gets a thumbs up for riding on a giant eagle. It also closes the show for Sony.

EA
EA's effort began with the usual showreel, but this was cut off by Andrew Wilson about 5 seconds in.

Dragon Age Inquisition was the first game on show, with Aaron Flynn giving an overview of the latest gameplay. It's certainly going for a mix of traditional Dragon Age RPGs and a Skyrim sense of scale.

Titanfall gets the next focus with the reveal for the next map pack but it's not really anything new.

NHL 15 was shown off with lots of crunching of bodies on ice. It looks like...well, an EA NHL game.

Peter Moore came on and managed a few lines in German before showing off Sims 4 with a live game to show off the all new gallery to share what you've made.

The new drag and drop home creation is a great idea for Sims fans and makes it easier to design and change your home. Then Peter Moore gets eaten by a cow plant (yes, really).

FIFA World on PC gets an update (and probably the first time many people have even heard of it).

FIFA 15 gets Match Day Live powered by Goal.com and all major leagues. You can now loan players in Ultimate Team as well. Ultimate Team Legends is only on Xbox so you can play as Gazza or Bobby Moore (probably in their prime rather than they are now).

Star Wars The Old Republic next and it finally gets what other MMOs had since launch, a home base. You can choose a planet and build a stronghold to share with friends and protect.

Bioware's new game next, which was heavily rumoured before Gamescom. Shadow Realms looks pretty interesting, dynamic RPG with 4x4 player and a choice of good or evil.

Finally, a return to Battlefield Hardline, where the single player looks...like a Battlefield game, despite what the developers say at the beginning of the video. In fact, the most interesting bit is that there will be a car chase online game and a 'capture the hostage' mode that gives you a single life per game.

And that was it for EA.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 13/08/14 at 11:19
"possibly impossible"
Gamescom is a sort of second-fiddle E3, but geared towards a more European audience and taking place in Germany.

This year Microsoft and Sony were first up on Day 1 of the event and EA and Ubisoft take to the stage today.

Microsoft
Ubisoft took the opportunity to show of Assassin's Creed Unity (well, they haven't got their own press conference this year, so why not?) before EA went all FIFA on the audience and brought up classic legends to talk about the Xbox exclusive Team Legends feature, which adds more famous footballers I've never heard of. There's a special FIFA Xbox One bundle out on 25th September for £349.99, but it's not the only bundle...

ID@Xbox - basically Indie games - gets it's own trailer, with Goat Simulator and Fruit Ninja Kinnect 2 among the titles on offer over the next few months.

Super Hot needs its own space away from the other Indie announcements because it actually looks pretty good (and isn't an old PC port).

The Escapist is basically taking Prison Architect and making it a game based on the prisoners instead. It's interesting but so near in look to Prison Architect that it surprises me.

Advance Warfare is standard COD fare, but in the future so they can copy a bit of Titanfall as well, adding jet packs, a falling bridge and Idris Elba, man of the moment. Again, it comes in a bundle at launch for £429,99 without Kinnect but with a 1TB hard drive instead of 500GB.

Evolve is certainly one of the more interesting games on Xbox, a 4 vs 1 multiplayer where one player is an all-powerful alien and the others are humans. The party has to have one of each class, too, so I can imagine lots of fighting.

The biggest news of the day? Tomb Raider is an Xbox Exclusive. yes, that's right, it's not coming to PC or Playstation. That will annoy as many people as it pleases (maybe even more). Certainly a huge scoop for Microsoft but I feel Square will be fielding off flames for many months for this.

Quantum Break next and it's back to trying to do a game about freezing or slowing time. It seems to work ok here, but the fact that you have little control over time is odd (and I wouldn't walk in front of bullets if you didn't know when time was going to go back to normal, but maybe that's just me!). Interesting note: The hero is called Jack Choice. I mean, really?

Fable Legends gets another short trailer, just so we remember it still exists, and then Screemride, pretty much like Coaster Crazy on Wii U, PC and mobile but slightly more adult looking.

More free cars for Forza 5; a Formula E car and a Rolls Royce Wraith (trying saying that fast three times), which leads neatly on to Forza Horizon 2, which looks better and better every time I see it.

Sunset Overdrive is up next, the game about people mutating after they've drunk a fizzy drink (I've seen that in real life, it's called alchopops). It's just another playthrough but the game still looks like it's bursting with adrenaline, like some sort of hyperactive child given too many E numbers. And, you guessed it, it comes in a bundle at launch for £349.99 with a white Xbox One.

Halo is the focus for the next big section and it's Halo Channel given the spotlight, giving you access to the content from the games and the TV series that comes with Halo Master Chief Collection, also with a Halo 5 Beta included.

Final wrap up with the news that you can now pre-download pre-ordered games on Xbox One, just in time for Forza Horizon 2, and a third Geometry Wars game.

Sony

Sony are quick to announce their success, with 10 million sales of PS4. But, apparently, they're not resting on their laurels.

First up for Q Games (makers of the rather excellent Pixeljunk Monsters, which you really need to download on Steam, PS3, Vita, PSP) is their first 3D game; The Tomorrow Children. It's very strange to say the least, 'intriguing' is the word, I think.

Some more odd games now, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, which looks spooky, and Volume, coming first to PS4 and Vita. Then Hollow Point.

PS4 is getting Day Z, so hopefully they iron out all the bugs before it's released, then. No sign if it's an exclusive, that wasn't mentioned.

New game from the makers of Heavenly Sword which I thought WAS a new Heavenly Sword at first. It's not, it's called Hellblade and there's not really any more info bar an intro scene. Looks like it could be good, though.

Rime gets another showing, nearest thing to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, considering we don't have any more news on The Last Guardian.

Indie Time! Lost of Indie games, most will be familiar to PC games already, including Papers, Please!

Destiny shown off again (Sony like Bungie now) with exclusive content for PS4.

Ubisoft are back for a Far Cry 4 showing and news of an exclusive PS4 feature that lets you share 10 copies of the multiplayer game to play with friends for 2 hours each. Nice idea. Game is looking really good and you can ride on elephants!

Hideo Kojima comes on stage and we hear all about MGS's new box features that takes the in-game joke perhaps a little too far. It's more hiding in boxes, but bigger. Ultimate Hiding In Boxes? It'll be on Channel 5 soon.

The biggest news is that Playstation Now is going to be arriving in Europe next year, with the UK getting its hands on the service first. The PS4 is also getting Share Play, which lets you pass your game on to a friend to carry on playing if you get stuck, or just for them to experience the game if they don't own it. It's a pretty cool idea but I can imagine you're going to need a good upload speed on your connection to use it well.

Until Dawn, the horror game first shown off for PS3 and Move, is coming to PS4 instead. It's looking good, but will depend on exactly how much interaction you actually get in the game.

Driveclub, now going up against Forza Horizon 2, is up and it's looking lovely. The free copy if you're a PS+ member should be enough to convince many people to play it at least once, but then you can always buy the full version and keep your save, too.

Tearaway, the surprise hit on Vita last year, is getting a PS4 version which makes use of the PS4's functions and is a completely new story. I'm buying that, then.

Aliennation, sequel to Dead Nation, is coming to PS4 but I think a lot of people are a bit fed up of these top down shooters now.

Wild is the big surprise game of the show, not really much detail but a lovely trailer full of humans and animals working together. Gets a thumbs up for riding on a giant eagle. It also closes the show for Sony.

EA
EA's effort began with the usual showreel, but this was cut off by Andrew Wilson about 5 seconds in.

Dragon Age Inquisition was the first game on show, with Aaron Flynn giving an overview of the latest gameplay. It's certainly going for a mix of traditional Dragon Age RPGs and a Skyrim sense of scale.

Titanfall gets the next focus with the reveal for the next map pack but it's not really anything new.

NHL 15 was shown off with lots of crunching of bodies on ice. It looks like...well, an EA NHL game.

Peter Moore came on and managed a few lines in German before showing off Sims 4 with a live game to show off the all new gallery to share what you've made.

The new drag and drop home creation is a great idea for Sims fans and makes it easier to design and change your home. Then Peter Moore gets eaten by a cow plant (yes, really).

FIFA World on PC gets an update (and probably the first time many people have even heard of it).

FIFA 15 gets Match Day Live powered by Goal.com and all major leagues. You can now loan players in Ultimate Team as well. Ultimate Team Legends is only on Xbox so you can play as Gazza or Bobby Moore (probably in their prime rather than they are now).

Star Wars The Old Republic next and it finally gets what other MMOs had since launch, a home base. You can choose a planet and build a stronghold to share with friends and protect.

Bioware's new game next, which was heavily rumoured before Gamescom. Shadow Realms looks pretty interesting, dynamic RPG with 4x4 player and a choice of good or evil.

Finally, a return to Battlefield Hardline, where the single player looks...like a Battlefield game, despite what the developers say at the beginning of the video. In fact, the most interesting bit is that there will be a car chase online game and a 'capture the hostage' mode that gives you a single life per game.

And that was it for EA.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.