GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Error establishing a database connection"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 11/05/14 at 14:49
Regular
I've set up a MYSQL database as i eventually want to change my domain to a wordpress site. I want to try the wordpress site in a sub-directory, i.e. www.domain.com/blog. Im getting an error 'Error establishing a database connection' after i uploaded the wordpress folder and contents and went to www.domain.com/blog/wp-admin/login.php. I checked the wp-config file and it seems to be setup correctly, but perhaps i've done it wrong, is it different when on Freeola? I tried localhost and mysql.freeola.net, neither works. Whats gone wrong?

// ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
define('DB_NAME', 'g146_rspca_brig');

/** MySQL database username */
define('DB_USER', 'g146_rspca_brig');

/** MySQL database password */
define('DB_PASSWORD', ‘xxxxxxxxx’);

/** MySQL hostname */
define('DB_HOST', 'mysql.freeola.net');

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');

/** The Database Collate type. Don't change this if in doubt. */
define('DB_COLLATE', '');
Mon 19/05/14 at 11:29
Regular
I've experienced exactly the same issues over a frustrating half a day trying various things including reading this forum.

I finally resolved the ERROR message and failure to install Wordpress issues by going back to the Freeola "How To" and foliowing it EXACTLY as written rather than trying to install it by change the wp-configure-sample in a text editor route.

I think that method really is for those who actually understand PHP.
Sun 11/05/14 at 22:37
Regular
It still doesn't work. Its set to localhost, i used a newly downloaded wordpress file/folder, re-uploaded. Still the same problem. What else could it be?
Sun 11/05/14 at 17:26
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
Your database username shows you are using our VIP hosting. On this service the MySQL is local to the server so change the hostname from mysql.freeola.net to localhost or 127.0.0.1 and it should then be fine. mysql.freeola.net is our standalone MySQL service mainly used by customers on our free hosting.
Sun 11/05/14 at 15:32
"Are you sure?"
Hi and welcome to the forums!

I've just had a quick look while I'm having a quick cuppa/rest from other things :¬)

My config file shows:

/** MySQL hostname */

I've just updated to 3.9.1. from 3.5.2 - and edited a page and everything seems to be fine.

I would re-check things or start again from scratch which can work better if you can't see the error.

When I installed WordPress the first time I followed Freeola's installation guide. This worked flawlessly for me and was my first MySQL project.

NB. I'm using standard Hosting/MySQL.

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 11/05/14 at 14:49
Regular
I've set up a MYSQL database as i eventually want to change my domain to a wordpress site. I want to try the wordpress site in a sub-directory, i.e. www.domain.com/blog. Im getting an error 'Error establishing a database connection' after i uploaded the wordpress folder and contents and went to www.domain.com/blog/wp-admin/login.php. I checked the wp-config file and it seems to be setup correctly, but perhaps i've done it wrong, is it different when on Freeola? I tried localhost and mysql.freeola.net, neither works. Whats gone wrong?

// ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
define('DB_NAME', 'g146_rspca_brig');

/** MySQL database username */
define('DB_USER', 'g146_rspca_brig');

/** MySQL database password */
define('DB_PASSWORD', ‘xxxxxxxxx’);

/** MySQL hostname */

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');

/** The Database Collate type. Don't change this if in doubt. */
define('DB_COLLATE', '');

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.