GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Movies you keep buying and those that you can't part with"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 12/02/14 at 11:36
"possibly impossible"
As formats change over the years, are there any movies that you've bought over on a new format?

I've bought Ghostbusters on VHS, then DVD and lastly on Bluray and digitally on iTunes. The last was because my youngest lives it so much I was worried that the Bluray would break and now she can watch on the iPad.

Star Wars is another one I've had on various formats, including several different VHS versions. I even had Gremlins on Betamax, though I've not got it on Bluray yet as the kids will want to watch it and there's one part where they talk about Santa.

TV-wise I've been happily replacing Star Trek and Doctor Who videos with DVD and Bluray copies as Christmases and Birthdays have brought me some of these.

But there are even a few VHS tapes I've kept. Shada is one because the video comes with the script.
Sat 15/02/14 at 14:41
"possibly impossible"
Sounds like a challenge, there!
Sat 15/02/14 at 09:48
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
srs_wubwub wrote:
So many to even list!

As the gentlemen in the office will confirm; there are very few films that I haven't seen. I can honestly quote major and minor scenes from pretty much every film conceivable.

The above statement is entirely true with exceptions for the lies.

Let's edit this for truth's sake...

As the blokes in the office will confirm, there are very few films he has seen. He can quote almost no scenes from any film. Ever. Even Bond films, which are on at least 20 times a year.
Sat 15/02/14 at 09:44
Regular
"Why so srs?"
So many to even list!

As the gentlemen in the office will confirm; there are very few films that I haven't seen. I can honestly quote major and minor scenes from pretty much every film conceivable.

The above statement is entirely true with exceptions for the lies.
Fri 14/02/14 at 09:03
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
DL wrote:
I must surely be missing something here, maybe 'a will to live' ;¬)

But, if you've watched a film once ... why watch it again or even buy it 'to watch again on a different viewing format'?

My memory is going but for goodness sake ...

My memory ain't that great either... I've forgotten how many times I've watched Blade Runner...

Or Avatar...

Clash of the Titans...

Young Frankenstein...

And many more. A good film is always entertaining, whether you've seen it before or not, just as a good game is always worth playing, or a good piece of music is always worth listening to.

I also read books multiple times if I really enjoy them. Don't think I'm that unusual (although some in the office might disagree!).
Wed 12/02/14 at 22:57
"possibly impossible"
If you really enjoy a film then it's certainly worth watching again. Some films require multiple viewings as well to get the most out of them or even understand them.

Put it this way, there are certainly millions of DVDs and Blurays sold in the UK alone, which means it's not just a few people.
Wed 12/02/14 at 22:07
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
I must surely be missing something here, maybe 'a will to live' ;¬)

But, if you've watched a film once ... why watch it again or even buy it 'to watch again on a different viewing format'?

My memory is going but for goodness sake ...
Wed 12/02/14 at 13:23
Regular
"Tip The Scales"
I haven't really replaced much - possibly some VHSs have been replaced with DVDs for simplicity of use (stuff like Ace Ventura) but I was always a bit too young to make proper collections back then, and for the most part I can't really see much benefit from upgrading to Blu-Ray from DVD. I mean, I usually get stuff on Blu-Ray now when buying things but to trade up something I already have seems a little bit wasteful, but that's just me.
Wed 12/02/14 at 13:01
"possibly impossible"
I imported the Blade a Runner box set from the US on Bluray for similar reasons, it had the main 5 versions on it in HD including the latest workprint one.
Wed 12/02/14 at 12:36
Staff Moderator
"Meh..."
I have 8 different versions of Blade Runner. One on Blu Ray, one on VHS and the rest on DVD.

They are all distinctly different though, so I kind of have an excuse.
Wed 12/02/14 at 11:36
"possibly impossible"
As formats change over the years, are there any movies that you've bought over on a new format?

I've bought Ghostbusters on VHS, then DVD and lastly on Bluray and digitally on iTunes. The last was because my youngest lives it so much I was worried that the Bluray would break and now she can watch on the iPad.

Star Wars is another one I've had on various formats, including several different VHS versions. I even had Gremlins on Betamax, though I've not got it on Bluray yet as the kids will want to watch it and there's one part where they talk about Santa.

TV-wise I've been happily replacing Star Trek and Doctor Who videos with DVD and Bluray copies as Christmases and Birthdays have brought me some of these.

But there are even a few VHS tapes I've kept. Shada is one because the video comes with the script.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.