GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Game Review] Lego Marvel Super Heroes - 360/PS3/WII U/PS4/XBox One/PC"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'LEGO Marvel Super Heroes'.
Sat 18/01/14 at 20:25
Regular
"Braaains"
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No... it's an entirely different comics franchise. Fresh from making the highly acclaimed Lego Batman 2, Traveller's Tales have returned with Lego Marvel Super Heroes which features all sorts of Lego related shenanigans, this time in the Marvel universe. Sadly no Marvel Zombies, but you can't have everything.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes - let's just call it LMSH - takes its storyline from a variety of sources. Rather than having just one villain or hero, you get to play as a range of characters and come up against plenty of different villains. So one level you can be fighting against Doctor Doom, the other you can be fighting against Mike From Neighbours, or whatever the name of the bad guy in Iron Man 3 was. There aren't any famous voices present, except for Clark Gregg who reprises his role as Agent Coulson. Which is a surprise, since I thought he'd was too busy carrying Agents of Shield by being the only interesting or likeable character on the show.

Like Lego Batman 2, LMSH features a rather cool open world hub, letting you roam freely about Manhattan, either on foot, in the air on in a car. Yes, you can steal cars - it's mildly amusing to have Captain America carjack someone. You can also get a second player involved, and you can both play as one of a wide range of variety of characters including heroes and villains. Some of the characters are unlocked by completing the game's missions, others only become available when you've completed race challenges or so forth.

The open world hub is only unlocked after you've finished a couple of missions, however. Which means you have to slog through the game's rather tedious location based levels. You see, the biggest problem with LMSH isn't that the flying and driving controls are a bit wonky - though they are. The problem is that actual single player levels are really dull. They take place in a variety of locations that have appeared in the comics or movies - though honestly none of them are that memorable. You typically walk in, bash a few bad guys, then put a few pieces of lego together to build a switch, flip the switch, then move on.

Granted, each character does have a special ability, so switching characters around is involved, but it quickly becomes a case of rinse and repeat. You can replay the levels with all the other characters you've unlocked, but they're so boring the first time through that there's no reason to do this. The game is also full of bugs. I had to quit the game several times because a character got stuck in the scenery, or in a death loop. I say 'death loop' but since each character has infinite lives, the character in question just fell and fell and fell until I quit.

So, buggy and boring.. not a good sign, right? Especially when the game is currently going for about twenty-five quid. It might be worth it when it drops to under a tenner, for the open world mode. And the graphics are cutsey and lego-y enough - though there's some slowdown at times on the 360 and PS3. But as a game in its own right, Lego Marvel Super Heroes leaves a lot to be desired. Not very super at all.

Score: 4 out 10

Pros: The open world section is kind of fun.

Cons:
The single player levels are terrible.
There are a fair few game breaking bugs.
There's significant slowdown on the 360 and PS3 vers.
Wed 22/01/14 at 17:57
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
No problems on the PS3 for me either, and I thought the flying and driving controls were pretty decent.

I'm not that far into the game, only just cleared the HYDRA base in NYC, but I've yet to find a "boring level", and the side-missions I have done have been fun.
Wed 22/01/14 at 12:38
"possibly impossible"
It's been fine for me on PS3 and Xbox One (and the small amount I've played on PC so far).

I thought the spooky prison level was great and I'm ok with the flying.

I guess I'll have to write a review, too, then!
Sat 18/01/14 at 20:25
Regular
"Braaains"
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No... it's an entirely different comics franchise. Fresh from making the highly acclaimed Lego Batman 2, Traveller's Tales have returned with Lego Marvel Super Heroes which features all sorts of Lego related shenanigans, this time in the Marvel universe. Sadly no Marvel Zombies, but you can't have everything.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes - let's just call it LMSH - takes its storyline from a variety of sources. Rather than having just one villain or hero, you get to play as a range of characters and come up against plenty of different villains. So one level you can be fighting against Doctor Doom, the other you can be fighting against Mike From Neighbours, or whatever the name of the bad guy in Iron Man 3 was. There aren't any famous voices present, except for Clark Gregg who reprises his role as Agent Coulson. Which is a surprise, since I thought he'd was too busy carrying Agents of Shield by being the only interesting or likeable character on the show.

Like Lego Batman 2, LMSH features a rather cool open world hub, letting you roam freely about Manhattan, either on foot, in the air on in a car. Yes, you can steal cars - it's mildly amusing to have Captain America carjack someone. You can also get a second player involved, and you can both play as one of a wide range of variety of characters including heroes and villains. Some of the characters are unlocked by completing the game's missions, others only become available when you've completed race challenges or so forth.

The open world hub is only unlocked after you've finished a couple of missions, however. Which means you have to slog through the game's rather tedious location based levels. You see, the biggest problem with LMSH isn't that the flying and driving controls are a bit wonky - though they are. The problem is that actual single player levels are really dull. They take place in a variety of locations that have appeared in the comics or movies - though honestly none of them are that memorable. You typically walk in, bash a few bad guys, then put a few pieces of lego together to build a switch, flip the switch, then move on.

Granted, each character does have a special ability, so switching characters around is involved, but it quickly becomes a case of rinse and repeat. You can replay the levels with all the other characters you've unlocked, but they're so boring the first time through that there's no reason to do this. The game is also full of bugs. I had to quit the game several times because a character got stuck in the scenery, or in a death loop. I say 'death loop' but since each character has infinite lives, the character in question just fell and fell and fell until I quit.

So, buggy and boring.. not a good sign, right? Especially when the game is currently going for about twenty-five quid. It might be worth it when it drops to under a tenner, for the open world mode. And the graphics are cutsey and lego-y enough - though there's some slowdown at times on the 360 and PS3. But as a game in its own right, Lego Marvel Super Heroes leaves a lot to be desired. Not very super at all.

Score: 4 out 10

Pros: The open world section is kind of fun.

Cons:
The single player levels are terrible.
There are a fair few game breaking bugs.
There's significant slowdown on the 360 and PS3 vers.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.