GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Avast Internet Security 2014 - email issues"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 17/11/13 at 17:04
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I recently upgraded avast from free version to one of the paid versions - Internet Security, to try out the combined firewall, and also because I'vr had the free version for several years and it has served me well

OMG what a palaver! I've been having intermittent problems with my imap email, mainly sending emails, and have tried many, many suggested solutions in Avast.

I've ended up having to turn off both the email and spam active scans, which would be laughable if it wasn't a bit worrying, so now I have a less secure system than when I had a free antivirus.

Anyone got any good suggestions for the optimum solution on Windows 7 + Thunderbird : Ideally that incorporates a firewall so I don't have to run 2 seperate programs. Doesn't have to be free, I just don't want to spend the rest of my life faffing with security!

also, I am hope that the filesystem active scan will cover what I need for emails for the moment anyway, it should right? Anyone use this strategy and have any opinions on it?
Sun 17/11/13 at 17:58
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
thanks for the replies

@dl I had some issues with ZA a while back - it wasn't recognising private from public networks correctly - bit of a security hole, I felt! that was the paid version though - and these may be resolved by now.

anyway I am trying out ad-aware anti-virus and I think I will go with hmmm's idea of using the MS firewall - it's supposed to have improved massively, so let's see...

blimey I'll have to stop paying for software - it's like the kiss of death!
Sun 17/11/13 at 17:47
"Are you sure?"
My family have half a dozen Windows PCs and I just run the standard Windows firewall and use the free Microsoft Security Essentials for AV - I've never had a problem!

Just don't click dodgy links and keep up with Windows Updates :¬)

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Sun 17/11/13 at 17:40
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Both AVG and ZoneAlarm offer an 'Internet Security' suite.

I have used AVG Internet Security for a few years, the licensed version that is, and found it excellent ... but recent times have made it unaffordable.

So I now run ZoneAlarm Internet Security Free (Free Anti Virus + Firewall) ... it does the job and no problems, except for 'upgrades' which have to be manually started, which isn't a problem ;¬)
Sun 17/11/13 at 17:04
Regular
"a pint of plain..."
I recently upgraded avast from free version to one of the paid versions - Internet Security, to try out the combined firewall, and also because I'vr had the free version for several years and it has served me well

OMG what a palaver! I've been having intermittent problems with my imap email, mainly sending emails, and have tried many, many suggested solutions in Avast.

I've ended up having to turn off both the email and spam active scans, which would be laughable if it wasn't a bit worrying, so now I have a less secure system than when I had a free antivirus.

Anyone got any good suggestions for the optimum solution on Windows 7 + Thunderbird : Ideally that incorporates a firewall so I don't have to run 2 seperate programs. Doesn't have to be free, I just don't want to spend the rest of my life faffing with security!

also, I am hope that the filesystem active scan will cover what I need for emails for the moment anyway, it should right? Anyone use this strategy and have any opinions on it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.