GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Sales Figures"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/04/02 at 13:50
Regular
Is it me or is PS2 still outselling the GC in Japan? Theres probably a great explanation for this but for the PS2 to be selling over twice as many consoles as the GC then it does look a bit dodgy...

http://www.cube-europe.com/fullnews.cgi?newsid1018006019,46490,
Sat 06/04/02 at 22:49
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
but Edgy's brain can't work fast enough for him to know what word to type... so his hands guess ;)
Sat 06/04/02 at 22:31
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Slow down? Don't you usually miss out keys when typing fast? I don't tend to add letters to change the meaning of words when I type faster because that is just stupider...
Sat 06/04/02 at 21:38
Regular
Whoops, I should slow down when typing. :)
Sat 06/04/02 at 21:17
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Edgy wrote:
> I knew they used to be called "Service Games" and I would usually type
> SEGA in capitals, but I automatically use lower case for the "ega"
> because I've just gotten used to typing it that way.

Still, I never knew they
> used to be an American company. I've learnt something knew today :)

For your second lesson, it's "new" not "knew". The former is an adjective, describing something not experienced before, the latter is a verb- inf. to know.

;)
Sat 06/04/02 at 18:43
Regular
I knew they used to be called "Service Games" and I would usually type SEGA in capitals, but I automatically use lower case for the "ega" because I've just gotten used to typing it that way.

Still, I never knew they used to be an American company. I've learnt something knew today :)
Sat 06/04/02 at 18:32
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
If you wonder why I have often said SEGA rather than Sega, it is not because I have to make a point of shouting their name in triumph! It's because Sega stands for Service Games- a company set up to supply pinball machines to American military bases in Japan.

After a while the American's sold it to some Japanese investors, and here we are!
Sat 06/04/02 at 18:28
Regular
I didn't realise Sega used to be American! Never mind, if you continue going east, you'll eventually reach the United States :)
Sat 06/04/02 at 18:14
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Although weekly GC sales may catch up, the number of GCs won't ever outnumber PS2s....

Oh, and I like the wording there Edgy:
"The only company to make such an impact on Japan whilst based in the western world..."

After all, Sega used to be American! Damn you with your forsight!
Sat 06/04/02 at 13:20
Regular
Before people all go and think that Sony have won the console wars in terms of sales just because of those sales figures, just remember, that those figures are for one week!

Anyway, Sony have had their console out on the shelves for a much longer period of time, so they've had a longer chance to advertise, let people test and release more games for the Japanese to get their hands on whilst the GameCube and X-box have only just (in comparison) been released!

I never expected the X-box to do well in Japan anyway, being it an American console competing against two long standing Japanese companies. It's more likely the Japanese are being loyal to their country's economy, than a hate of the X-box itself. The only company to make such an impact on Japan whilst based in the western world was Sinclair who made the ZX Spectrum series. Sinclair ust about created console gaming, and brought the concept over to Japan and the United States, yet now Japan's very own companies: Sega, Sony and Nintendo have been making their own consoles, it comes to no suprise that they're setting the standards whilst the American giants Microsoft are struggling to compete.

I predict that the GameCube will catch up, if not beat the Playstation 2's weekly sales by the end of 2003, as the Playstation 2 is already in many people's homes in Japan and it's very unlikely they'll need to buy another one unless to replace a faulty machine or they're that desperate to use the Multitap.

What amazes me by those figures is how many sales the Wonder Swan Colour has had in comparison to the X-box! Roughly 50% of the X-box, and the WSC isn't even an international handheld yet!
Sat 06/04/02 at 01:52
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Gc has sold 1.5 million in Japan - PS2 onl 4.5, and that is for two years longer - The GC is getting there, and in recent figures is selling very well - The XBox is doing very badly! (he he)

Cube Europe is great!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.