GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Thing - Opinions?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 12/10/02 at 12:07
Regular
I wrote a review for SR this morning and here's my opinion on this great game:

"Not often it is that we see games based on popular films capturing the magic of the film (and incidentally ending up a pale imitation of its silver-screen counterpart), but there are exceptions, and fortunately, I am able to report that The Thing is one of these. For once in a game, the cinematic tie is put to good use. Any fan will know that the game is based on John Carpenter's 1980s film The Thing (although its origin roots far further back than that) and sees you investigating a deserted Antarctic base. As quite a nice touch, it continues where the film left off, and some recordings from Kurt Russel tie in nicely. As with the film, it soon becomes mayhem with extra-terrestrials running all over the place, and even a man-made conspiracy that you will learn about in the later stages of the game.

The suspense element really is there, as your set of teammates are fully interactive, as an engineer will open doors for you, a medic will heal you, but best of all is the emotion engine impletemented here. This has to be the most impressive feature in my opinion. Never has a game relied on such a realistic approach. By this, I mean that the others will suspect you of being the Thing, they will become numb from the cold and eventually die (as will you) and the sight of a corpse will lower their morale. This adds a new level of realism, as if you don't find shelter, you will die, no doubts about it. The great thing is (no pun intended) that you don't know who to trust and who not to, but there are methods to find out how (such as the true-to-film blood test). If your teammates bickering isn't enough for you, wait until you are led astray and a pack of monsters attack you and your crew - it makes some pretty hairy moments!

Obviously there is a fair ammount of dueling in the game with enemies in different sizes, and it's quite shocking just how deadly they can be. If trapped in a tight space with a Walker, and a Flamethrower being the only way to kill them, you will surely burn yourself in the process. I wouldn't really call it AI, but the enemies are no easy feat. A big gripe for me was the aiming system - it is pretty terrible. Only when you see an enemy running about 10 feet from you can you lock on, in which time some enemies (epsecially the Walkers) would have depleted vital health. This is especially problematic for the Flamethrower, which is a very difficult weapon to use already, but the aiming system only adds to this.

The graphics are some of the best I am yet to see in a game. Even on my GeForce 2 MX 400, it runs like a dream (and runs exactly the same on a GeForce 3, funnily enough) and it is truly a pleasure to look at. The in-game cinematics are amazing, with a slick presentation and relevant plot set-pieces in the mix. The audio feature is also astounding, treating us to crisp speech, which seems to be a rarity in PC games (Half Life anyone?) and the theme music is genuinely scary (especially the heartbeats as you approach an enemy or unexplored area). The sound effects are pretty similar, relevant sounds which when mixed with the graphics, make for one of the slickest games I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

The Thing is a incredibly immersive game, one of the most I've ever played and it is incredibly enjoyable. The presentation is top-notch and there really are feelings of desperation and (lack of) trust. The squad-based element only adds to an already corker-of-a-game and the way that they react to certain scenes and elements is a step forth in the gaming fight with realism. The only aspect of the game that I can really touch on is the inaccurate aiming system, which is just a minor niggle compared to the hours that you'll get out of this game. You will play this game and really enjoy it, if you have just the tiniest bit of The Thing in you."

One thing I didn't have space to add was the actual length of the game - it's not a particularly long one. Hell, I've got 2/5 of the way through the game in a casual hour. I just hope that the later levels are longer and more involving, although it is still a great game, longevity out of the way.

Anyone 'pleted it yet?
Flux.

PS. Feel free to post your opinions too! :)
Tue 26/11/02 at 17:23
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
I managed to pick up a copy of this gane on Sunday at a local computer fair - still sealed, official UK copy - price £5.00

What a bargain
Tue 26/11/02 at 16:34
i dont know hajir_2005 but Flux might but he always uses the cheat thing he downloaded with it :)
Mon 11/11/02 at 15:42
Hi
I have a problem
in the thing i have a big problem to kill BOSS 2
i give him red but i cant kill him
can you help me to how can i kill that big thing????
i shoot in down head of that bodey but it wouldn't die
thanks a lot
if you can please answer my question in my email address at:
[email protected]
bye
Sat 09/11/02 at 09:11
FLUX!!!!!! i am no longer resi fans i am now auron and otacon and only you and a few others no why.

*punches Flux*

*Flux cries like the wiener he is*
Thu 07/11/02 at 13:40
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Never played the game but I am a massive fan of the film.
I'll get hold of it once I get the cash together.

Meanwhile, heres a piccie of my dog being daft that managed to remind me of one of the high points of the film ;)

http://
users.whsmithnet.co.uk/
666pandemonium/
files/
doggieThing.jpg

(paste lines together in to one, the board wouldn't let me post the full link)
Thu 07/11/02 at 10:48
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Little Hobbo wrote:
> and to get my views across to Cookie
> Monster who disagrees with my opinion of it.

AND DONT YOU FORGET IT!

;¬)
Thu 07/11/02 at 08:36
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
Little Hobbo wrote:
> It is actually a good review by the way. But I noticed that you have
> only been at SR for a few days, yet you post a review of this quality
> on your first attempt? I suspect that you are some recently banned SR
> member, watch out!!
>
> But if you are innocent and that is REALLY your first review then well
> done, it is very good. :-)

Thank you.

*Runs*

*Returns to grab Resi Fan*

*Runs*
Sat 02/11/02 at 19:16
Tribute wrote:
> Why? TYo get your word count up? You could have just linked it and
> people who felt the urge could've gone and read the thing. I
> personally didn't give you the satisfaction of reading your post
> because I felt it insignifacant. MWAH!

I totally agree with you Tribute he writes endless topics and it just dosent interest anyone. If you read his other topics they are endless he even posted his english project the fool.

Jess's panties Flux :p
Mon 14/10/02 at 12:48
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
It is actually a good review by the way. But I noticed that you have only been at SR for a few days, yet you post a review of this quality on your first attempt? I suspect that you are some recently banned SR member, watch out!!

But if you are innocent and that is REALLY your first review then well done, it is very good. :-)
Mon 14/10/02 at 12:44
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
No criticism to your review but it does seem just a little boastful posting your review as a thread. Many people enter their reviews each day so if we want to read them we go to the reviews section of SR.
I actually did post my review of UT 2003 on a recent topic but that was only in reply to a thread, and to get my views across to Cookie Monster who disagrees with my opinion of it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.