GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Rivalary- Mario and Sonic!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/10/02 at 22:18
Regular
The two daddies of computing possibly, but they started out foes and ended buddies, but who is the King of the two?

The two started off evenly, everone enjoyed the very early mario games, well i know i did but then i also enjoyed the early sonic games, the speed and the graphics were better so did Sonic have the slight edge on mario in the early stage?
Mario was a liked crtoon and so was Sonic, i loved both of them but game wise in the early stages i would say my loyalty was with Mario as i have owned every Nintendo games system, not having a mega drive until later and only having Sonic 2 and 3 i don't know f i can recall the very first sonic game, but on a whole i prefered Sonic, i used to have some of the annuals, and i can still picure it, Sonic i think was a much more loved character but in the games department he didn't have the edge in my opinion.

Mario 64, possibly the best platform game ever, i loved every bit and couldn't wait for the next one but i was saddned not to get it until years later! Sonic was on the DC and the game was a big leap as Sonic had not been heard of for some time and it looked like Mario had won but the game on the D was a succes, people liked it but i think Mario 64 was a lot more popular, i know i would have an N64 again if i had never completed it!

Sonic on the GBA and mario on the GBA, well the first mario game was a bit pants really, compared to sonic, everyone prefered sonic i am sure, the chao raising bit keeps you on it for ages, i would argue i would rather keep my sonic than get the second mario game on the GBA, but the Yoshi's island is a tricky on, i doneit before but i loved it and i think i couldn't choose one, so at that point the hedgehog and the fat italiean man are equal in my view!
With Sonic 2 coming out on the GBA i think our blue friend will be the handheld champ, as i know i will have it but i have never owned a Mario game on the GBA or the GB so Sonic is my fav on the road!

Now onto the latest and greatest piece of technology, the GC, both making relativley early appearences, Sonic coming first, i think he beat mario's brother but then along he came with THE best platform game ever, all agree? i think we do. Mario Sunshine is so great and i think most people with a bit of money and sense own it! Sonic is a fun game and was ym first GC game, i still have it as i love the Chao and the levels, camera can be annoying but then it is also a slight problem with Mario Sunshine.
Mario wins in the GC part i think, i think we will all agree if we look at it fairly, they both have good points but Mario has more, and you get to ride Yoshi in paradise, it doens't get much better than that does it?

So Sonic the handheld champ and Mario the GC champ, both equal in early stages possibly, so it is really up to you to decide but i know i will be geting both the games with these two charcters in for a long time ot come, the new GC Sonic game will be mine and if there is another Mario game
*PRAYS to God, despite not believeing*
then i will have it so who is the King, i don't know but i do know thye both make one hell of a game and is definitley worth the money that is spent. Even worth buying Nintendo consoles for, that is the beauty of it. We have Sonic and Mario, the best platformers!
YAH!

Sir Auron
Wed 16/10/02 at 22:34
Regular
instead of pitting them against one another in the games market now, why don't they put them both in the same game such as MarioKart GC (i think they are) or in F-Zero GC (since sega are developing it) mario and sonic could be secret characters - Mario riding around on yoshi, and sonic running along the track - cutscenes could include sonic getting run over on the road just like a normal brown hedgehog :)
Better yet, a 2 player/player switch adventure which has you switching characters around to complete levels (isn't there an x-box game like that), mario would be better for fights and tricky situations while sonic can be used for chases and long jumps or something like that

great fun on 1 website - http://members.lycos.co.uk/maddmunfun
Wed 16/10/02 at 21:52
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Mario is far more fun in its free-roaming ideals. However, I think Sonic had the edge in 2-D, because it was so fast! But I still prefer/rred Mario!
Wed 16/10/02 at 21:24
Regular
"French the Fries!"
how do u unlock green hill zone?
Wed 16/10/02 at 20:05
Regular
"$hit happens"
Sonic is well hard, well not to semi omplete but to get all 180 emblems, i doubt anybody on here as them.
Mario is not really too challenging but then nor is Sonic to semi complete, but to fully complete both is hard.
Tue 15/10/02 at 19:43
"The Will of D."
I think Mario becuase I find Mario games more challenging take Mario 64 or SuperMazza Sunshine for example.
It was a bit annoying at times in sonic adventure 2 battle but it was all over and done with too fast for me to appreciate it better.
Tue 15/10/02 at 17:57
Regular
"Festivus!"
I honestly prefer Mario games as they require a lot more though - Sonic games tend to be about how fast you can race through levels without having to think.

Sonic on 2d was fantastic multiplayer though, and that is what I think kept many people hooked. I myself loved a 2 player scramble on it, but lack of friends killed my liking of it.

Sonic never really made that transition into 3D like Mario did. Running around courses, not knowing what the hell you are doing isn't exactly ideal for 3 dimensions and that is why Mazza has Sonic as a Buddy now.
Mon 14/10/02 at 22:18
Regular
"$hit happens"
The two daddies of computing possibly, but they started out foes and ended buddies, but who is the King of the two?

The two started off evenly, everone enjoyed the very early mario games, well i know i did but then i also enjoyed the early sonic games, the speed and the graphics were better so did Sonic have the slight edge on mario in the early stage?
Mario was a liked crtoon and so was Sonic, i loved both of them but game wise in the early stages i would say my loyalty was with Mario as i have owned every Nintendo games system, not having a mega drive until later and only having Sonic 2 and 3 i don't know f i can recall the very first sonic game, but on a whole i prefered Sonic, i used to have some of the annuals, and i can still picure it, Sonic i think was a much more loved character but in the games department he didn't have the edge in my opinion.

Mario 64, possibly the best platform game ever, i loved every bit and couldn't wait for the next one but i was saddned not to get it until years later! Sonic was on the DC and the game was a big leap as Sonic had not been heard of for some time and it looked like Mario had won but the game on the D was a succes, people liked it but i think Mario 64 was a lot more popular, i know i would have an N64 again if i had never completed it!

Sonic on the GBA and mario on the GBA, well the first mario game was a bit pants really, compared to sonic, everyone prefered sonic i am sure, the chao raising bit keeps you on it for ages, i would argue i would rather keep my sonic than get the second mario game on the GBA, but the Yoshi's island is a tricky on, i doneit before but i loved it and i think i couldn't choose one, so at that point the hedgehog and the fat italiean man are equal in my view!
With Sonic 2 coming out on the GBA i think our blue friend will be the handheld champ, as i know i will have it but i have never owned a Mario game on the GBA or the GB so Sonic is my fav on the road!

Now onto the latest and greatest piece of technology, the GC, both making relativley early appearences, Sonic coming first, i think he beat mario's brother but then along he came with THE best platform game ever, all agree? i think we do. Mario Sunshine is so great and i think most people with a bit of money and sense own it! Sonic is a fun game and was ym first GC game, i still have it as i love the Chao and the levels, camera can be annoying but then it is also a slight problem with Mario Sunshine.
Mario wins in the GC part i think, i think we will all agree if we look at it fairly, they both have good points but Mario has more, and you get to ride Yoshi in paradise, it doens't get much better than that does it?

So Sonic the handheld champ and Mario the GC champ, both equal in early stages possibly, so it is really up to you to decide but i know i will be geting both the games with these two charcters in for a long time ot come, the new GC Sonic game will be mine and if there is another Mario game
*PRAYS to God, despite not believeing*
then i will have it so who is the King, i don't know but i do know thye both make one hell of a game and is definitley worth the money that is spent. Even worth buying Nintendo consoles for, that is the beauty of it. We have Sonic and Mario, the best platformers!
YAH!

Sir Auron

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.