GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has Xbox got the better hardware?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 16/10/02 at 19:20
Regular
I would like to go over the Hardware confusion.

The Xbox processor, is an IMB processor, It clocks out at 733Mhz within the Xbox, this is hardware. The Gamecube runs on an IBM processor called The Gekko. The gekko contains around 400Mhz, not as much as the Xbox, but does that mean that the Xbox has better hardware? The answer is no. The Gamecube actually has a better processor. The technology of the chip is better, it's much faster.

"The Xbox has better hardware"
True, If you look at the Xboxs hardware at face value, you will be very impressed but anyone who has a slight background In Pc's whether building them, programming them, or doing graphics art on one he/she can tell you quite a bit about all three systems.

* Megahertz means almost nothing when you are talking about CPU speed, In truth the Gamecube Gekko PPC CPU is faster than the Pentium 3, For Starts the Cache system of the Gamecube is far larger, The L1 being 32bit and the L2 being 256 2way, The Pentium 3 has an L1 cache of 16bit and the L2 cache is 256Kb half the speed. So if you were going to take processing power and the amount of Data able to be shoved through a processor, The Gekko can Compute twice as much.

* Next the Ram, The Ram system of the Xbox is based on a flawed Idea from the early 1980's, It's GPU and CPU share 64 Mb of SDram. Though It can designate what part needs more Ram the GPU and CPU, this creates a bottleneck and eats up clock cycles. So the true Polygon processing for the GPU of the Xbox is only around 20 - 30 million polygons in games, The flipper GPU for the Gamecube has better rendering capabilities and the quality of the graphics outmatches the Xbox, The ram in the Gamecube is 27Mb of 1T-Sram the most advanced Ram on the marke. This stops the Gamecube from having a bottleneck, In addition, 3Mb of the Ram go's straight to the GPU and the rest Is used as needed. This Ram is actually around 4-5 times fater than the SDram, In addition the Gamecube also has 16Mb of SDram to be used as needed.

* Hard Drive: Well, next year a card hard drive will be Released for the Gamecube ( or so rumors say ) also unlike the Xbox's ceramic hard drive, the Card Hard drive by IBM will not die after quite a bit of use anyway. A ceramic Hard Drive will.

* Load Times from the Processor are as follows
Gamecube : 4 - 8 Second loading time.
Xbox : 14 - 20 Seconds
PS2 : 30 - 60 Seconds on average
The Gamecube has a lower Loading times than Any other system ever because of a less disk area and a different laser frequency for reading.

So there it is, The Xbox seems to have the better hardware, but It hasn't.
Facts found from sources.
Fri 18/10/02 at 17:36
"You love us!"
Sure is my son! Got it in 1 and a ½!

Your leaving soon aren't you.

Dude, SR without Mr Moore just won't be the same.

**thinks for a minute**

It'll prolly be a fair bit sarcastic I should imagine. ;-)

When you leave Steve?
Fri 18/10/02 at 16:48
Is that you Ninty?
Fri 18/10/02 at 15:36
"You love us!"
Yes I agree, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

However, what i said about the xbox RAM set up was NOT MY OPINION! It is fact. It is what's inside every single Xbox in the world. The RAM configuration of an Xbox is not subject to opinion, It is what it is. And that isn’t what you said it was.

On this issue there is no such thing as an opinion. How can you have an opinion on a true fact. It is simply a case of right and wrong. Your facts are wrong. I don't mean that in a condescending way, but what you said is FACTUALLY incorrect.

As I said, I don't mean to have a go at you, but when you post a topic like the one you did, which tries to base its argument on facts, you HAVE to get the facts right. You, sadly, did not.

End of story.

On another topic,

Oh come Mr Moore, you must remember me? It wasn't that long ago. All i did was change my name! :-p
Fri 18/10/02 at 14:56
Regular
"waiting 4 Matrix 3"
I still disagree but, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
Fri 18/10/02 at 14:42
But that is the point - PS2 is nearly always first to the punch with the latest titles. GameCube has a distinct lack of quality titles with only Mario, Rogue Leader and Monkey Ball (and maybe a couple of others) being exclusive. Nintendo have even seen fit to let Microsoft have Rare!

Oh, and Burnout 2 is not going to be multi format - it's a PS2 exclusive.

I guess the test will be Timesplitters 2. At least it's out on GC, PS2 and Xbox so if you put all three side by side you could see which was best

This year I will mostly be playing PS2
Fri 18/10/02 at 14:34
Regular
"waiting 4 Matrix 3"
I still disagree Gamecube is the Best (Legend of Zelda, Metroid Prime,Die Hard Vendetta,Super Mario Sunshine, F-Zero)
No Competition
Anyway GTA:vice City will be on PC next year, Burnout 2 is multiformat, and Pro Evolution Soccer will be on Cube Next year.
Fri 18/10/02 at 14:24
Somebody knows who I am! Now that's a first. Reveal yourself Kalisto

Yes I know they are all games machines, perhaps I should have quantified the statement.

Surely the fact that the PS2 is the platform of choice for most of the killer games this Xmas (GTA 3, Pro Evo 2, Burnout 2 etc) makes it the best console at the moment.

Plus, it can play DVD movies (as a bonus)

Time will tell
Fri 18/10/02 at 14:14
"You love us!"
Hmmm, not sure were you got some of those 'facts' from Welsh boy, but come on. Are you living on a different planet....

WelshMiyamoto wrote:
> I would like to go over the Hardware confusion.
>
> The Xbox processor, is an IMB processor, .

Hmmm, and there was me thinking it was based on an INTEL Pentium III chip. Unless Intel and IBA have merged, and the world failed to notice, this 'fact' is utter bull shlt!

> * Next the Ram, The Ram system of the Xbox is based on a flawed Idea
> from the early 1980's, It's GPU and CPU share 64 Mb of SDram. Though
> It can designate what part needs more Ram the GPU and CPU, this
> creates a bottleneck and eats up clock cycles. >

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT! The RAM system of the Xbox means that the GPU and CPU share the same RAM! You say you found this from another source, but to be honest you must be a stupid as the original author to re-type it. The CPU has the main RAM - that's it, this RAM is used for CPU, sound and other such processes. The GPU, which is just a fancy name (from those punks at nVidia) for the chip on the graphics card of the machine, and this has its own RAM. The Xbox video card is based on a high end GeForce III (read: Ti4600) and the equivalent PC card carries 64MB of RAM. This is for the Graphics card (the GPU) only, it is used for textures and the like.
Can you imagine what the Xbox (and any PC for that matter) would be like if the video card and CPU shared 64MB of RAM - LOL! You must be thinking of PC systems that have no video card. in this instance the main RAM of the computer is used for both CPU calculations and video textures, thus making it very slow.

Do you really think that an Xbox could do some of the graphic tricks if the video card of the machine didn't have its own RAM - and do you think nVidia would ever supply MS with a card for the Xbox that didn't carry its own RAM! LOL. and there was me thinking that Anna Robinson was wrong about Welsh people LOL

Oh and for the record, I agree with Joe King (for prolly the first time ever, eh Steve!!) it doesn't matter how fast or powerful a machine is, it's all about games. After all it's a games machine. Funny that, hey!
Fri 18/10/02 at 13:38
Regular
"waiting 4 Matrix 3"
Joe King wrote:
my experience has taughtme that only one
> factor in this argument matters:
>
> How good the games are.
>
> It's not about hardware specs, design, aesthetics, popularity or
> brand. The best console will always be the one with the best games.
Never said It weren't I am just replying to all the Xboxers who say that their console is the most powerful.

>
> Look at the quality of PS2 games compared to the initial titles that
> were released on launch. As programmers get to grips with the
> hardware the games get better hence the console looks more impressive.
>
>
>
> I am just glad there is a choice - the future looks rosy for gamers
Indeed there is a great choice of consoles, but I disagree with PS2 is the best,people only say that because It has been out 2 years more and has more games available.
Fri 18/10/02 at 12:49
Having worked in this industry since the days of the Sega Master System (yep, that long) my experience has taughtme that only one factor in this argument matters:

How good the games are.

It's not about hardware specs, design, aesthetics, popularity or brand. The best console will always be the one with the best games.

When buying a new console ask yourself this: What type of games do I like playing? Then go for the machine that has those types of games in abundance.

Look at the quality of PS2 games compared to the initial titles that were released on launch. As programmers get to grips with the hardware the games get better hence the console looks more impressive.

That's why PS2 is the consoleof choice at the moment. Xbox is good technically and GameCube is impressive (plus it's Nintendo - the only long standing games machine producerout of all three so they must be doing something right)

I am just glad there is a choice - the future looks rosy for gamers

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.