GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Making Games Rant - copied from Chat"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/10/02 at 17:24
Regular
Don't you hate it when you get hyped up about a game and it's nothing like you expect? Don't you just hate it when your imagination goes over what these people churn out because they're trying to meet the Christmas deadline?

I'm sorry, but there's more to this than what's being shown. The perfect game will not come about because people just cannot be bothered. It's easy, very easy to just rely on the princible, instead of actually making the game fun.

If you don't get any satisfaction from pulling a trigger of a gun, what's the fun in it? If you don't get any satisfaction from winning a race, what's the point in starting it?

That's the idea in fun. Satisfaction, some sort of reward, balance. A simple shooter when you ride a horse and shoot people is pointless. There needs to be a reason, there needs to be emotion in why you do it. Otherwise it's just a chore, and chore's are not fun.

Building emotion in games is the whole idea of fun. If you can make someone smile, it's fun, if you can make them terrified of what will come around the next corner, it's fun. If it affects you, it is fun.

That's why games aren't fun anymore to me. They just don't affect me emotionally. If I can't get emotionally caught in a game, then I don't really see the point in playing it.

Half-life. You were scared to go around the corner. Things killed you easily. The puzzles challenged you, they made you think.

Civilisation 2. You were deemed as a God. You were challenged. You fought, you won, and you would keep fighting all the way to the final race, the Space Race. That's why it was fun. You became powerful, you were affected emotionally.

You feel rewarded for doing well in dancing games. You feel important, scared, powerful in shoot 'em ups. The whole idea of games are creating emotions. To me, anyway.

That's the whole idea of all entertainment. But the thing today is, emotions are supposed to be canned and can be set off by obvious little details. Fear comes from making loud noises when you least expect it. Humour comes from people falling over.

And then, if you can make something that can affect someone over and over again... then you've got a fantastic piece of entertainment. Something that can be told to you again and again and it'll cheer you up. Not just because it scares you, and not just because it makes you laugh, but because it does everything.

Star Wars can make you laugh, it can make you smile, be worried, loads and loads of different emotions can come out of it. That's why it ruled. That's why it was fun. Balance.

It's getting that same balance again which will get you something decent. It's human. It's something you can fall in love with. You can never fall in love with a single part of a picture, you have to fall in love with the whole thing.

Be scared, be happy, be sad, be terrified. A good story will twist and turn. That's what makes a great game. Not the story, but the amount of different emotions you'll get from playing it.

And that's my whole princible. That's how I try and judge every big thing I do. Life needs balance, fun needs balance. If you can't be terrified one moment and relieved the next, it's not worth doing.
Sun 20/10/02 at 11:32
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Star Wars can make you laugh, it can make you smile

This star Wars rap'll make wou smile for sure
http://members.lycos.co.uk/maddmunfun/starwarz.htm
Fri 18/10/02 at 18:53
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Damnit.

Maybe I should copy my reply in here too then :)
Fri 18/10/02 at 17:30
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I hate the great ideas that turn into very poor games. Its a shame that other developers don't have a go at some ideas that fail the first time.

At the end of the day most games these days are made for the profits. Not the fun of it or because they like it which is a sad thing to see.
Fri 18/10/02 at 17:24
Regular
Don't you hate it when you get hyped up about a game and it's nothing like you expect? Don't you just hate it when your imagination goes over what these people churn out because they're trying to meet the Christmas deadline?

I'm sorry, but there's more to this than what's being shown. The perfect game will not come about because people just cannot be bothered. It's easy, very easy to just rely on the princible, instead of actually making the game fun.

If you don't get any satisfaction from pulling a trigger of a gun, what's the fun in it? If you don't get any satisfaction from winning a race, what's the point in starting it?

That's the idea in fun. Satisfaction, some sort of reward, balance. A simple shooter when you ride a horse and shoot people is pointless. There needs to be a reason, there needs to be emotion in why you do it. Otherwise it's just a chore, and chore's are not fun.

Building emotion in games is the whole idea of fun. If you can make someone smile, it's fun, if you can make them terrified of what will come around the next corner, it's fun. If it affects you, it is fun.

That's why games aren't fun anymore to me. They just don't affect me emotionally. If I can't get emotionally caught in a game, then I don't really see the point in playing it.

Half-life. You were scared to go around the corner. Things killed you easily. The puzzles challenged you, they made you think.

Civilisation 2. You were deemed as a God. You were challenged. You fought, you won, and you would keep fighting all the way to the final race, the Space Race. That's why it was fun. You became powerful, you were affected emotionally.

You feel rewarded for doing well in dancing games. You feel important, scared, powerful in shoot 'em ups. The whole idea of games are creating emotions. To me, anyway.

That's the whole idea of all entertainment. But the thing today is, emotions are supposed to be canned and can be set off by obvious little details. Fear comes from making loud noises when you least expect it. Humour comes from people falling over.

And then, if you can make something that can affect someone over and over again... then you've got a fantastic piece of entertainment. Something that can be told to you again and again and it'll cheer you up. Not just because it scares you, and not just because it makes you laugh, but because it does everything.

Star Wars can make you laugh, it can make you smile, be worried, loads and loads of different emotions can come out of it. That's why it ruled. That's why it was fun. Balance.

It's getting that same balance again which will get you something decent. It's human. It's something you can fall in love with. You can never fall in love with a single part of a picture, you have to fall in love with the whole thing.

Be scared, be happy, be sad, be terrified. A good story will twist and turn. That's what makes a great game. Not the story, but the amount of different emotions you'll get from playing it.

And that's my whole princible. That's how I try and judge every big thing I do. Life needs balance, fun needs balance. If you can't be terrified one moment and relieved the next, it's not worth doing.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.