GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What is everybody going to get as their first game?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/10/00 at 12:11
Regular
Not really sure what to get as my first ps2 game, I will probably end up getting tekken tag. What is everybody else going to get?
Sat 14/10/00 at 16:10
hehe
i think weve all been there
Fri 13/10/00 at 15:20
Benno,

Thanks for the prompt and very informative answers. I usually buy games on the basis that I will play them in one player for 90% of the time as my friends either live so far away I only see them every couple of months or they are not into games anyway.

I do tend to be over competitive as well and have in the past almost ended up in fisticuffs with friends whilst playing Street Fighter 2. That was a long time ago however so hopefully I am more mature now. (I once ripped the Sonic the Hedgehog cartridge from my Megadrive/Genesis whilst it was switched on and slung it across the room as I was so annoyed with it BUT miraculously it survived intact). Bit irrelevant that bit, and I am not proud of it, just confessing my sins.
Fri 13/10/00 at 15:07
hi matt

the controls on doa2 are very basic but i wouldnt say it was a button bashing fest. You may have one button for each thing ie, punch kick throw and counter but different kicks etc are controlled by the amount of times you tap the button and it what direction you press the controller. I think its quite a good way of doing it.
I think you maybe served best by tekken if you want it to last longer in one player because of the more play modes, and of course namco have uped the eye candy on the jap rls. however in 2 player i think doa2 cant be beaten, its
great when you smash your mate trough a wall or off a platform and it gives us great satisfaction.
I think fifa is better not only because of the slick presentation and great gfx but is also more fun to play than konamis iss game. Both games could have done with a few months longer in development but it is easy to see that the konami game has been rushed and this has been confirmed with the rls of the new iss game in a couple of months. hopefully this one was will be a lot better. I was really looking forward to photographing and pasting mine and my mates faces into the new iss game but the high price of the ps2 digi camera has put off. I too have played fifa on a lot of formats including the pc and i have too been largely dissapointed, however dont get me wrong im not saying fifa is a brilliant game its just better at what it does than the konami iss game which was obviously rushed. Id still rather play sensi on my amiga than either of these games on my ps2.

Asking me questions is not a problem (ask away :P) i just hope my answers provide you with what ou want to know.
Fri 13/10/00 at 14:22
Benno,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I have a question about TTT. I have never played any of the Tekken's for very long as I did not have a PSX (I played them round my friend's a couple of times). As a result I wont be dissapointed by it being to similar as the Tekken games are supposed to be great anyway I hear that TTT offers more depth in gameplay than DOA2.

My question is whether DOA2 is just a button bashing fest. I have heard that most of the moves just require button bashing rather than the Quarter turn forward etc type moves. I want a beat-em-up that can offer long term value in one player mode and most reviewers have said that DOA2 losses out to TTT in this respect. What is your opinion??

Also (okay so I have more than one question) why do you like Fifa more than ISS?? I have Fifa on the PC and I am fed up with the fact that it is so easy to go runs and score and also it is nigh on impossible to defend corners. I hear that ISS is more realistic than Fifa and has a better control method. What is your opinion??

Sorry for all the questions but as I have not played any of the games yet you are a good source of information and opinions.
Thu 12/10/00 at 19:57
hi matt

yes you have guessed right i do have a jap ps2 ;P
i didnt get the machine on launch or a few days after cos of the huge import prices but i have had it a few months and did pay a bit too much for it hehe.
So far the quality of the games has not been exceptional but that is always to be expected when a new console hits the market despite the hype that greeted the ps2 launch in japan.
So far i think the games have been a very mixed bunch although i would say few have been truly exceptional. My favourite game to date has been dead or alive 2 and in my opinion i prefer it to tekken just because the multiple levels of play and the interactions with the environment make it a little different. TTT is very similar to tekken 3 and i think any seasoned tekken player once they look past the very polished gfx will ultimately be a tad disappointed. Although i think if anyone was thinking this game would be a massive overall was wrong to expect such a thing as this will surely come in tekken 4 (i hope :P)
ive got quite a few jap games so ill just do a little bit on a few i like.
Another game which i have really enjoyed playing is fantavision, this puzzler came out of nowhere and i think it is a superb game.
Also if you are into mech fighting armored core 2 is a top game with fantastic gfx and sound although the controls are a bit tricky at first. This genre has become a little swamped in the jap ps2 market but i think this is the best of the bunch.
i dont think rr5 is the game it could have been but namco were working to a very tight schedule and this shows. ie still signs of popup in one player and loads of fogging in 2 player. However i am a massive rr fan and i could nothelp but enjoy it.
driving emotion type s, now i dont think its really that bad but i love car games so im biased. you can roll the cars which is a big bonus but once again the controls are a but fiddly but can be mastered.
Of the 2 football games i prefer fifa but i dont thnk either of them are great, im still a massive fan of sensi on the amiga.
Of the games to avoid well even if you are a massive rpg fan and cant wait for dark cloud id find it hard to recomend eternal ring or evergrace, both look like dreamcast titles and are not great players either. also dynasty warriors 2 is awful and primal image and 0 story both basically involve watching japanese girls dancing around the screen.
if this is your thing fine but as both of these titles cost £60-70 on jap import id recommend a copy of mayfair (£2.50)
so far i have enjoyed owning my jap ps2 and i do not regret buying it, however i do have a pal ps2 preordered and have already planned to sell the jap machine to a mate.

I have several other games so if any wants to ask about a particualr game or aspect of the machine itself please post a msg. I have kept it brief cos im in a bit of a hurry ;P
Thu 12/10/00 at 14:42
Benno,

I am assuming you have a Jap PS2?? What games do you have or have you played??

Any tips on what to avoid or what is a must have in your opinion??
Thu 12/10/00 at 14:17
i have ttt (jap) and i must admit it is a great game, however if you are a seasoned tekken player dont expect too much knew except for the tagging of course and the inbuilt ten pin bowling game which is a great laugh.
I must agree with the above point on eternal ring but i also have evergrace which isnt that great a game either, although the speech which is streamed straight off the dvd is a nice touch.
Tue 10/10/00 at 10:03
I am not an RPG fan really but I must admit that even I have been tempted by The Summoner. The graphics are awesome and the storyline sounds interesting as it has elements of real myths and legends from around the world mixed in with a Tolkeinesque landscape.

I dont usually have the patience for RPG's but if the combat system is right then I can see this being a winner. Other than that your only other serious option at or around launch time is Evergrace whic is supposedly shaping up well.

Stay away from Eternal Ring at all costs!!

On the subject of release dates. No magazine can ever be 100% sure on the date as companies refuse to set their release dates in stone up until a week or two before release. This gives them the freedom to take various factors into consideration, the majority of which are usually external to the games development.

Once the date is set your local EB or Game will have it. Your best bet is to go in there and ask them to cheque the release date for you (they are supplied with a list by the companies, and this is updated every week).
Mon 09/10/00 at 23:58
It's not strictly official, but the latest issue of PSM2 has The Bouncer slated as a February 2001 release, along with Wipeout Fusion - another must-have game for me.
Mon 09/10/00 at 23:33
The only game that I really wanted to buy was The Bouncer as I kept on playing it on the video, with a catchy Sount Track and what looks like crystal clear motion, it looks like it can be a clear winner! I heard that the game was being delayed as they decided that they would release the game on DVD (What a surprise!) so it is coming out from Demember - March, I have heard reports of it coming out from every month then on. Is there any official Magazine that I could buy that would tell me it all through Official Channels???

I do not know what to buy. I was thinking of Theme Park World, but now I am not too sure. I will want to get a RPG as that is worth the money and something I can normally stick to. Does anyone know of any RPG's that will be coming out on Launch or before christmas that work like Squaresoft's games? (e.g. Final Fantasy)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.