GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"First Person Shoot'em- ups explained"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/03/02 at 23:37
Regular
First person shoooters are great fun but often it is difficult to know which ones to buy. Here is my explaination of the FPS that I have played and the drawbacks and benefits of each one:

Return to castle Wolfenstein:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is set in Nazi Germany and follows a rather surreal story line involving the raising of the dead. It's single player is very lifelike and itense with great atmosphere and different settings ranging from Crypts to brilliant urban settings with a lively and atmospheric soundtrack. Wolfenstein is the classic blast'em up and follows a linear but very playable level layout however overall the one player mode is disappointingly short and not overly challenging on any of the difficulties to the experienced gamer. In terms of multiplayer gaming there is little support for network gamers but there is a large amount of online support and a large online gaming community to play against on many different levels.

Overall:Disappointingly short but worth buying especially if you are into online gaming.

Half-Life

Half life is the Daddy of the modern FPS. It has a long singleplayer which follows a gripping story line backed up by powerful and futuristic firepower. The gameplay is good although the blasting of aliens is arguably less enjoyable than bashing your way through legions of human foes. The multiplayer lacks the huge range of choices available to more recent games but this is more than made up for buy the constant updates and add ons made available to it due to its massive following online. Good on a large network but the absence of multiplayer bots can make network halflife less interesting.

Overall:The most popular online game by far ,vastly enjoyable definitely worth buying.

Unreal Tounament:

Unreal Tournament is a high speed action packed multiplayer fest. A rather poor offering of a singleplayer this is the best of the multiplayer aimed games. Plenty of options and choice of levels. Very playable with fast fluid action and Bots which can be set to a very wide and challenging range of abilities. Large on line following but excellent in practicemode or on a network this is the best of the multiplayer games by a long way. Also very good value as it has now been released In classic form and should only cost about a tenner or so.

Overall:Into multiplayer games:This is for you

Quake 3:

Quake 3 has the classic pc shootem up feel following in the footsteps of quake and doom. Personally i feel that this is a poor relation to unreal tounament. As it feels less real and requires less tactical movement. Atmospheric and likeable it maybe for you if you are into the old style shooters.

Overall:Not as good multiplayer as unreal but solid overall.

Medal Of Honour Allied Assault:

Medal of Honour is set during the Second World War. And moves over many different landscapes as you aid the allied cause. Traditional WW2 weaponary and interesting mission objectives make for intesive and exciting gaming. The sheer intesity of the single player is second to none. From the Beach landings on D-Day or The stealth attacks with the French resistance this game shows depth and quality. It is the best length of the modern shootersand there is no shortage of things to do. The Multiplayer is pretty good and the online community is expanding rapidly this is by far the best of the modern shooters.

Overall:This has a brilliant action packed single player and is definetly worth buying. Great value for Money

Project IGI:

Although not the first game people think of when talking about First peson shooters it should be considered as it is amongst the best single player games out there. The story line may not be enthralling but the action takes place over beautifully created and meticulously planned levels. Although there are some flaws in the game such as limited AI and regening guards this is easily compensated for by the smooth flowing gameplay and the long levels. This is not a game for those with short attention spans as there is no save feature with in each level but it is done on a "save at the end of a level" type save.

Overall: Cheap and addictive single player action

What Should I buy:

Overall best Multiplayer Game: Unreal tournament
Overall Best Singleplayer Game: Medal of Honour
Online Gaming: Half-Life
Best overall Combo: Medal of Honor/Unreal
Tue 26/03/02 at 23:37
Regular
First person shoooters are great fun but often it is difficult to know which ones to buy. Here is my explaination of the FPS that I have played and the drawbacks and benefits of each one:

Return to castle Wolfenstein:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is set in Nazi Germany and follows a rather surreal story line involving the raising of the dead. It's single player is very lifelike and itense with great atmosphere and different settings ranging from Crypts to brilliant urban settings with a lively and atmospheric soundtrack. Wolfenstein is the classic blast'em up and follows a linear but very playable level layout however overall the one player mode is disappointingly short and not overly challenging on any of the difficulties to the experienced gamer. In terms of multiplayer gaming there is little support for network gamers but there is a large amount of online support and a large online gaming community to play against on many different levels.

Overall:Disappointingly short but worth buying especially if you are into online gaming.

Half-Life

Half life is the Daddy of the modern FPS. It has a long singleplayer which follows a gripping story line backed up by powerful and futuristic firepower. The gameplay is good although the blasting of aliens is arguably less enjoyable than bashing your way through legions of human foes. The multiplayer lacks the huge range of choices available to more recent games but this is more than made up for buy the constant updates and add ons made available to it due to its massive following online. Good on a large network but the absence of multiplayer bots can make network halflife less interesting.

Overall:The most popular online game by far ,vastly enjoyable definitely worth buying.

Unreal Tounament:

Unreal Tournament is a high speed action packed multiplayer fest. A rather poor offering of a singleplayer this is the best of the multiplayer aimed games. Plenty of options and choice of levels. Very playable with fast fluid action and Bots which can be set to a very wide and challenging range of abilities. Large on line following but excellent in practicemode or on a network this is the best of the multiplayer games by a long way. Also very good value as it has now been released In classic form and should only cost about a tenner or so.

Overall:Into multiplayer games:This is for you

Quake 3:

Quake 3 has the classic pc shootem up feel following in the footsteps of quake and doom. Personally i feel that this is a poor relation to unreal tounament. As it feels less real and requires less tactical movement. Atmospheric and likeable it maybe for you if you are into the old style shooters.

Overall:Not as good multiplayer as unreal but solid overall.

Medal Of Honour Allied Assault:

Medal of Honour is set during the Second World War. And moves over many different landscapes as you aid the allied cause. Traditional WW2 weaponary and interesting mission objectives make for intesive and exciting gaming. The sheer intesity of the single player is second to none. From the Beach landings on D-Day or The stealth attacks with the French resistance this game shows depth and quality. It is the best length of the modern shootersand there is no shortage of things to do. The Multiplayer is pretty good and the online community is expanding rapidly this is by far the best of the modern shooters.

Overall:This has a brilliant action packed single player and is definetly worth buying. Great value for Money

Project IGI:

Although not the first game people think of when talking about First peson shooters it should be considered as it is amongst the best single player games out there. The story line may not be enthralling but the action takes place over beautifully created and meticulously planned levels. Although there are some flaws in the game such as limited AI and regening guards this is easily compensated for by the smooth flowing gameplay and the long levels. This is not a game for those with short attention spans as there is no save feature with in each level but it is done on a "save at the end of a level" type save.

Overall: Cheap and addictive single player action

What Should I buy:

Overall best Multiplayer Game: Unreal tournament
Overall Best Singleplayer Game: Medal of Honour
Online Gaming: Half-Life
Best overall Combo: Medal of Honor/Unreal
Thu 28/03/02 at 00:16
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I think you should buy Half-Life and Unreal Tournament then...if you havn't already, get broadband and download the rest :D
I'm still trying to geta copy of MOHAA looks really good.
Thing is, i've only juststarted geting into PC games, I never really thought they were any good, the reason being: my pc was crap, now it's upgraded things look so much better.
I'm currently playing:
-Max Payne! 3rd person, very, very good game, I would recommend you get it.
-Unreal Tournament, classy online games, it's an old game so with a new PC this game works really well, loads of peope are always playing online so your never short of a challenge, also Tactical-Ops (UT mod) is great, a real-life (as real as games get I guess) mod, seems a bit like Half-Life.
-Operation Flashpoint, i'm pretty sure this games the same thing as MOHAA just set in a different war, graphics...etc look the same, anyway, another great game, lading troops into battle, flying helicopters and driving tanks, great fun. Also played online, not quite as much as UT though :(

RTCW seems like the game to have at the moment, burning zombies will never be the same again, online gaming seems cool from the screenshots i've seen...

have fun.
Thu 28/03/02 at 11:06
Regular
max payne is the shortest of the lot. V. disappointing would be even shorter if it did have thousands of storyboards. You must nearly have finished it foggy....oh no that's the same as just starting it it's so short.
Thu 28/03/02 at 13:28
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Half-Life: Counterstrike is the best on-line FPS around, and I know loads of people at school who do play it themselves. I don't play it though, as I don't even have Half-Life! But if I was to get one game to play on-line, it would have to be Half-Life!
I've also heard Unreal Tournament is quite good too, but not quite 'Half-Life'.

And I definitley reccomend Medal of Honour: Allied Assault!
No, I haven't played that game either! But it's got brilliant feedback and reactions from people who have it.

And maybe look out for 'Mafia: City of Lost Heaven' next month. If only I had a better PC i'd get these games!
Fri 29/03/02 at 11:52
Regular
isn't it a bit stupid offering your opinions on something you have never experienced. Its kind of like me saying I know that wrestling is great because some people like it. i think its rubbish but it is my personal experience i'm offering not secondary infomation which can be misleading
Fri 29/03/02 at 12:48
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Thats a good point, but he can make an opinion of the game by talking to people about it, hence SR Forums.
I downloaded Max Payne, only to find out that it won't let me go onto Chapter 5 : level 1! *cries* I love this game, but the glitch has made me fall in love with 'The Sims' building your own house from scratch and getting jobs might seem like a lame idea, but it works.

Also, onto killing: I need to gt a copy of half-Life seems more people play it than UT so it must be good, it's only £10 (any game that price is worth having) and because it's that price it will no doubt work well on my PC *dances*
Thing is about UT and half-Life, i'm not sure they have any good solo mission, I know UT hasn't it's just the same as online gaming, but with simulants.
Whereas: MOHAA, Operation Flashpoint (get this game) are mainly solo mission games, so get both.
Then...play Max Payne again.
Thu 04/04/02 at 11:46
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Although everyone says get Jedi Knight 2 (Which I definatly will some time) I am really looking forward to Soldier of Fortune 2 which I have on pre-order. We seem to be stuck with choice for great FPS this year.
Sun 07/04/02 at 15:59
Interesting but there's one massive omission from this list - the simply divine Deus Ex by Ion Storm/Eidos.

This takes the simple FPS structure and moves it way beyond the simple "run around and shoot things" structure which remains central to most games in this genre - Return to Castle Wolfenstein, for example. Deus Ex is a strongly narrative-driven game resting upon character interaction as much as completion of missions.

It also boasts a breadth of non-linearity matched by no other game. Certain missions can be completely overlooked, and your relative success (defined in more sophisticated terms than whether you live or not) affects your progress later in the game. Your negligence can cost the lives of your allies, for example.

Indeed Deus Ex takes a structuce essentially the form of one long narrative - even when you've completed your main onjective your still have to return to base (in the early missions) for debriefing and carry out the sort of tasks that in inferior games might only be glimpsed in a brief FMV cut-scene - like stocking up on munitions from the quartermaster.

But the element that unifies the game is its exquisitely-crafted plot, bringing you in contact with a range of characters and leaving it at the players' discretion who he fights alongside. Deus Ex asks question of your moral sense and intelligence, challenging you to find an alternative means of completing the mission without just charging in, guns blazing.

All this takes for granted the detailed and moody graphics, and the clever use of spot sound effects and dramatic music when the enemy spots you.

Deus Ex belongs at the top of any list of great single-player FPS games. It's already available on PC CD-ROM and will soon be out on PS2. I would be surprised if an XBox conversion wasn't around the corner. The sequel is due early next year.
Sun 07/04/02 at 20:58
Regular
ashley = idiot

i meant to post in this on deus ex and forgot it is complete quality. the best story line of any shooter by a million miles. some people don't like the feel of it but the atmosphere in it is amazing. this needs to be bought and its only a tenner

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.