GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The futures in Avatars!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/10/00 at 18:33
Regular
As some of you will know, I went to the Millenium Dome recently, and in BT's talk zone I joined a que. As I got nearer to the front of the que I saw a TV screen and found out what I was queing up for. I was going to be make an Avatar.

So what's an Avatar? It's a 3D model of you. Yes, YOU!

The process was simple: go into a booth and stand facing a camera, when the picture has been taken turn 90 degrees to the right and wait for the photo etc.

Once it has taken pictures from all 4 sides of your body, the nice people and BT check the nose and chin stick out in the right place and your Avatar is made!

Now it's made, you can go home and download it of the internet (they give you a card telling you where to download it).

There's all sorts of things you can do with your Avatar.
Firstly you can download some demo's where you see your 3D model dancing or skateboarding.
You can also convert it into skins for games such as Quake 3 and the Sims (it gives a new meaning to "playing with yourself"!).
You can also download a special program so it reads out your mail to you or your recepient.

The possibilities are endless. I hope that it will work for the Gamecubes Perfect Dark and WWF games. Then I could personally kill everyone.

Now THATS something to look forward to!
Wed 11/10/00 at 20:07
No, anyway isn't an avatar someone who does the work for you? Surely this is miss-naming? Or could it be that they interpret it as being that your avatar does what you say... but shouldn't an avatar have a mind of his own? I thought that an avatar was basically a champion with a fancy name!
Hmm...
Tue 10/10/00 at 21:58
Regular
It's a bit more than face mapping, it scans the whole body.
Bjlangley, it might not have been there when you went to the dome. When I went, it was right next to the que for ET pictures.
I got both in the end!
Does any one think that it will revolutionise gaming?
Tue 10/10/00 at 17:34
Regular
That sounds a bit like Face Mapping, if it was made....
Tue 10/10/00 at 17:00
It is a good idea being able to control yourself, it is what most people dream of.
Tue 10/10/00 at 12:50
Regular
"not dead"
I guess I must have been in the wrong queue, I had my picture taken with E.T.!
As for avatars, I can't say that I'm that bothered by them. I imagine the novelty of seeing your own body on screen would soon wear off, and it doesn't make any difference to the gameplay whether I control a bunch of pixels that look like me, or something else.
Mon 09/10/00 at 13:08
Regular
Has anyone read this at all?
Sat 07/10/00 at 18:33
Regular
As some of you will know, I went to the Millenium Dome recently, and in BT's talk zone I joined a que. As I got nearer to the front of the que I saw a TV screen and found out what I was queing up for. I was going to be make an Avatar.

So what's an Avatar? It's a 3D model of you. Yes, YOU!

The process was simple: go into a booth and stand facing a camera, when the picture has been taken turn 90 degrees to the right and wait for the photo etc.

Once it has taken pictures from all 4 sides of your body, the nice people and BT check the nose and chin stick out in the right place and your Avatar is made!

Now it's made, you can go home and download it of the internet (they give you a card telling you where to download it).

There's all sorts of things you can do with your Avatar.
Firstly you can download some demo's where you see your 3D model dancing or skateboarding.
You can also convert it into skins for games such as Quake 3 and the Sims (it gives a new meaning to "playing with yourself"!).
You can also download a special program so it reads out your mail to you or your recepient.

The possibilities are endless. I hope that it will work for the Gamecubes Perfect Dark and WWF games. Then I could personally kill everyone.

Now THATS something to look forward to!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.