GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Monthly Rant"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/11/02 at 20:30
Regular
I have lots of opinions on PS2, so much so that I feel like enlightening all of you with them. So, starting from today, I will voice my opinions on PS2 at the start of each month.
Well, firstly, I will admit that I am flicking through Play at the moment to pick some games to post my views on. So, if this post looks more like a Play contents page than a rant, go shoot yourself in the foot.

Well, firstly, Devil May Cry 2. I think this game is shaping up pretty nicely, and seeing I hate survival horror games this is rare talk from me. It just sounds so cool.. I haven't got the original, and to tell the truth I'm not massively enthusiastic about this, and probably won't get it, but will watch for reviews with interest.

As mentioned before, I'm not keen on survival horror so Silent Hill 3 is being blatantly ignored by me. The ideas don't yet seem good and it doesn't look at all fun. Okay, so it's more of an experience than a fun game, but I don't want to be playing through something because I 'have to', I want to enjoy it and SH3 doesn't look to give that to me.

GTA Vice City is going to rule. I claimed it for my GAD, and it's going to rule. I was slightly cautious seeing Rockstar may soon realise that they can do Fifa style updates and it will still sell millions, but after learning more about it I am really excited about it.

I've never really liked Tenchu games, but the multiplayer game of Tenchu 3 interests me. Maybe one for rental..?

I am extremely interested in XIII. I saw screenshots, and they are amazing. You just sit there staring, it's easy to get drawn into them. Anyway, sounds fun and the maximum interactivity with objects mean I'm definitely going to be looking out for this in the future.

I fail to get excited in any way about Mortal Kombat, because beat em ups are rubbish.

I was slightly disappointed in Red Faction 2's review score, which was a highly respectable 89%. However, seeing the first got 94% and that isn't all that amazing (although fun), I was hoping for at least 94% for this sequel. Maybe not one for me then.

I may someday try Formula One 2001 on platinum, but the 2002 edition doesn't look all that different. Maybe if I read the review my opinion will change, but for now the half-price younger edition looks better.

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 is great fun. I don't care what you say, it is. The handling is weird with the inability to face the wrong way, but I like the Matrix effects and maybe if I see this a bit cheaper I shall get it.

Gungrave looks like the most shallow game ever. However, the DVD footage did change my view slightly, however this does certainly not look like a game worth forty notes.

I thought LOTR looked fun, and the review score isn't too bad. However, the stereotypes surrounding Lord Of The Rings may be a factor which darws me away from this.

I am not in the least interested in Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer. It looks fairly fun, but surfing is so totally not my thing, dude.

I hate Madden games, because my lack of American upbringing leaves me running around clueless. I did, however, score once. When playing Multiplayer. On my own.

WWE Smackdown looks pretty normal - the same set of linked cut-scenes and unrealistic people damage (hitting someone with a ladder does not see them recovering in a second. Believe me, i've tried) However WWE fans should like this. And the name Brock Lesbar rules. (I saw it on a DVD)

UFC Throwdown fails to excite me at all, because it looks like a merge of Tekken and Smackdown, both of which I hate.

Rally Fusion looks pretty average, nothing more to say.

FIFA 2003. It is good. Believe me, I have it and it is better than any previous FIFA.

That Superman game is really not welcome seeing we have X-Men and Spiderman (and Batman) already. We don't need any more men in tights.

Shox looks fun, but then again there are too many of these shallow driving games around. Burnout 2 is good fun, but the rest look pretty much normal. However, you people tell me Shox is good, and the mag agrees. It's me Vs the world.

I hate rally games that are too boring and real, so Colin McRae Rally 3 is not going to be something I will consider, even though it is a good game and should be praised.

NHL Hitz rules. You can't deny it, it does. Balls to EA, this is THE NHL game to get.

Pro Evo 2 is class. But you knew that.

The more I see of Ratchet & Clank, the better it looks. I'm still not wholly convinced, as the gameplay does look slightly repetitive, but maybe I will get this one day.

Kingdom Hearts looks like a child's hallucination, however 90%.. I like RPGs, but the fact that a) it's real-time and b) people will think I'm sad if I buy it

TIF 2003 doesn't sound all too good, although I may consider the 2002 edition just for the chance to play as Blackburn.

The Import review of Socom Navy Seals was interesting, it got 84% and is the best 3rd person war game by Play's books. However, 84% means there must be a gap in the genre...

Minortiy Report could be good. Could.

LOTR Fellowship will be doing well to be good seeing it looks like a childish copy of the Two Towers.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon looks really, really boring. I never thought stealth worked effectively in 1st person anyway, and this is set to be the case here.

the new Spyro game looks set to join the bunch of just above average PS2 platformers.

As does Rayman 3.

Auto Modellista could be good, but then I think the graphics are all that separates this from basically being a Ridge Racer clone.

Well, that's it for this month folks. Please reply venting your anger on all the crap i've said.

Until next time. (If I can be bothered)
Mon 04/11/02 at 20:31
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
I'd rather not go into great detail. It was only a wee joke.
Mon 04/11/02 at 16:53
Regular
Blank wrote:
> Is this like Asher's equivalent to a period?

No, they generally involve the skin turning orange, a lot of shouting and weird screeching noises coming from my knees.
Sun 03/11/02 at 19:29
"TIF 2003 doesn't sound all too good, although I may consider the 2002 edition just for the chance to play as Blackburn."

Another Blackburn supporter. Wow, this must be my lucky week - I met another last Tuesday in college.
Sun 03/11/02 at 19:26
Regular
"  "
Shut Your Mouth I mean. :D
Sun 03/11/02 at 19:25
Regular
"  "
Yeah, THQ were showing off some MotoX game at a motorbike show I went to and they also had Smack Your Mouth.
Sun 03/11/02 at 14:42
Regular
You played the Smackdown: Shut your mouth, Nath?
Sun 03/11/02 at 10:49
Regular
"  "
Well, GTA Vice will be my last game before christmas. However, for christmas i'm looking at WRC II Extreme. Played both Rally games and this is better than McCrae 3. Its actually the first rally game that has proper bumpy roads. Others have slight little ruts, but nothing compares to being on the edge of a cliff with your car beingflung from side to side as it bobbles of all the ruts.
Its dead good fun.

Gungrave, looks dead short and dead boring.

LOTR- Whats the big amazement with LOTR's? The game looks like a hack and slash Tekken Force Style game. No thanks...

Kingdom Hearts. Looked Poo from the start but looking at the new footage on PSW it actually looks quite good. However, I wont be getting it.

Haven Cll of The King. Very Jak and Daxter like, but the controls aren't as good, neither are the graphics, and ther is no real structure to the game.

Smackdown. Fantastic. Not. Plays like a Snail in a pile of crap.

Rocky, Looks fun hitting people and making them bleed. Better alernative to Crapdown.

Ratchet and Clank. Funny, quite good fun, big, but as PSW quote, "Linear game hidden under a 'big playing world cloak'.

Grand Theft Auto London 2. Sorry, only joking.

The Getaway. Looks good, but London, although accurate, has a ghostly atmosphere on the game.
Sun 03/11/02 at 10:40
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Is this like Asher's equivalent to a period?
Sun 03/11/02 at 08:22
Regular
*cough*

It's Brock Lesnar.

:)
Sat 02/11/02 at 21:49
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I agree with what you say about Ghost Recon Asher, got it for the PC. It's a fun game, looks great, but has a real lack of A.I. which is a serious problem considering the realism the game presents. Obviously, having a realistic shoot em up with incredibly stupid A.I. doesn't make for a great gaming experience.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.