GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBox - the opinions"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/03/02 at 10:20
Regular
I knew this would happen,
People will stop dissing the XBox and realise that it is a good console and size doesnt mater.
Before it came out there was a lot of negative hype, killing it before it was born. But now as it's out people have realised how good the console is.
A few weeks ago these forums were full to the brim with comments like:
'It'll never fit in my room'

'It's too heavy to move'

'The XBox was designed to fit in only Bill Gates' House and nobdy else's'

However now it's nice to see people now have realised their wrongs and are coming out with reviews like YH and Wookie. It's nice to see some REAL reviews coming out now.

Thanks.
Thu 21/03/02 at 10:54
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
adrian wrote:
> FinalFantasyMeister wrote:
> XBox is just
> wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy to big

Not really. Compared to a PS2, its
> only abit bigger.

Its about the same length as PS2. Bit higher than PS2 and quite abit wider than PS2.

Actually having them side by side Xbox does seem quite abit bigger than PS2, but its not really a problem.
Thu 21/03/02 at 10:50
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
FinalFantasyMeister wrote:
> XBox is just wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy to big

Not really. Compared to a PS2, its only abit bigger.
Thu 21/03/02 at 08:45
I know that it was only in the spirit of humor, so I don't take it seriously, so ha-ha Meka :0)

Keep up the good work Sir!
Thu 21/03/02 at 08:44
Regular
"not dead"
$h@ne0 wrote:

> I know I posted this in another thread,

copying again, hey? ;-)

(Sorry, too easy, couldn't resist)
Thu 21/03/02 at 08:42
Finally, the people have seen the light and admitted that they like the X-Box! I agree, it's a tad on the expensive side, and me for one am waiting until they come down AT LEAST £100 to £200 (or I may buy a PS2, depending on the time around the price drops of both consoles), but hey, you pay more to get the console before everyone else, right? Anyway, bottom line: well done to all who bought an X-Box - may it give you many hours of gaming...'pleasure'. :0)

First we'll control SR, then blow this pop stand, and go for the Whitehouse! Muah!

I know I posted this in another thread, but I felt it relevant to the topic. I must say that a) I knew this was going to happen, and b) You biased lot! :0)
Thu 21/03/02 at 08:35
Regular
"I WON"
XBox is just wwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy to big
Thu 21/03/02 at 08:21
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
My only real quibble
> is that I think Xbox should be able to play DVD's out of the box using the
> controller, just as PS2 can. At least on PS2 the DVD remote is an option, not a
> requirement.

But then we would all be paying more for the Xbox. Because the Xbox is a game console they dont have to be charged taxes for each unit, for being a DVD player. If you have got a DVD player than spending £30 is better than spending £150 on a seperate DVD player.

With the PS2, you had the DVD built in. Sony had to pay DVD tax charges for each unit, therefore making the unit price higher to get to us.

Microsoft has the right idea I think, as there saying "if you want a DVD player get the remote. If you dont then your not paying for the taxes."

Sony included a DVD player built in and said "hey our new console can play DVD's, oh but it means we have to charge X-amount more because of the taxes we have to pay. Is that ok?"
Thu 21/03/02 at 00:33
xbox still a little out of my budget and any way i was'nt gonna get the hard drive or modem for the ps2 anyway. i still say the xbox is too big. LOL
Wed 20/03/02 at 23:01
Regular
"accidental superher"
originally i thought that the 300 pound price tag was quite steep but then i thought about it and realised that there was already a hard drive + broadband + network + 4 control ports...there isn't any need for upgrades apart from the need for the dvd thing....which i think is a very good thing...if the hard drive comes out for the ps2 that will be 100quid, the modem will be 40 quid. also as the xbox has already got all these upgrades developers will be able to concentrate on making PHAT online games and be able to use the hard drive efficiently as well...PS2 is somewhat limited by the fact that i can't really forsee THAT many people getting the upgrades
Wed 20/03/02 at 16:47
Regular
Wookiee, fair point about being able to play DVD's straight from the box.

However, I suspect MS are just trying to recoup some of th emoney they lose on the actual console itself.

Sony did this with the multi-tap.

If you want to play 4 player, you have to buy a multitap. Why didn't Sony just release USB pads? That way you could have 4 player without spending extra.

XBox is a games console first and foremost. I'd much rather spend £30 on a DVD kit than £150+ on a half decent dedicated DVD player...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.