GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"God - The Games Creator"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/11/02 at 13:12
Regular
Many believe that a 'GOD' created the world we live in ? creating attributes like sorrow, happiness, love, hate and forgiveness to life.

However, us humans want more than this normal life, we want to be apart of a utopian world, that can only be seen in visions and dreams, we want to be apart of a 'different' world that can only exist in tales and fantasies, some of us would love to touted as a hero or villain

But we can...

How you ask?

--- We?ll its happening through gaming all the time

Come to think of it, the games developer has very similar attributes to God because they too create very different 'make-believe' worlds that many of us thrive on, they 'make' the characters that will be living in that specific world and all the objects in that world that will affect the characters in one way or another. They give the characters the ability to speak, move, touch, sense, smell but not only that, they also provide them with other 'special' features/powers like the ability to fly, fight, use magic spells, pick up objects that normally requires a crane! Etc. This leads us from the realms of reality and the 'norm' into another dimension.

Aliens! I hear you cry

No No..

This unique world looks like something that is amazing allowing a plot to take place that can be controlled simply through a games machine, the features of the world looking similar to ours but with the unexpected - some plots in games allows us to do things that we couldn't in real life, observe:

A) Go on an adventure as a super hero to defeat the almighty villain, and rescuing the beautiful princess (so that she can come back and make you lunch :)

B) Control your favourite football team and drive them on to winning trophies, leagues, make multi-million pound transfers and making yourself a name in world football.. (and yes Sheffield Wednesday too..:)

C) Make easy money and a collection of sports cars by working for gangs and surviving on the mean streets, whilst avoiding the police.

D) Drive on off road conditions, crashing cars, doing stunts and even in high speed chases.

But where am I going with all of this?

Yes this is all very well and good, we know that gaming allows us to get away from it all when we come home from the stresses in life, that a good old round on the games console will cure any problems on the mind (well for a few hours anyway..)

But is 'gaming' something that we just relay on to get away from the norm or is it affecting our inner deepest darkest feelings?

Games developers have to find a way of making their games 'unique' from rivals, therefore need to know what will most affect the gamer and currently - a great way of doing this is to develop a product that has the ability to interfere with an individual's deepest desires and dreams to merge fantasy with reality with the use of characters, adventures and new exciting worlds.

Some examples:

Metal Gear Sold 2: Sons of Liberty is a game that always comes to mind as a good example. Playing this game made me feel the game, I was excited and nervous about what was going to happen next, my heartbeat got faster, when I was spotted by guards and as I advanced through levels it was like advancing through life itself.

I felt like I was there with the action, that I was Raiden/Snake and I was going on this journey..when the game came to an end, so did my world that the games developer had created so generously for the likes of me, but then taken it away in an instance.

Another fine example being Pro Evolution Soccer, a fans favourite that has always been a step in front of the rest when it came to football -- picture the moment ? it's the 85th minute of the game stuck in a 0-0 draw and a win is required to get through the next round?I know what ever I'll do to try and score it won't happen (maybe its because im rubbish..) but it was meant to be and the game is designed to match the realties of life as well as giving you the control of a whole new ball game (no pun intended honest!) but once your out of that all important championship, you have to start again and a lot of the time that hurts, all your hard work and achievement down the drain, you feel tired and switch off your games machine - cursing yourself, sound familiar?

Only a GOD can take away a world, a life and re-incarnate it ? and that's what a games developer does, but the ability to touch the deepest desires of a person is very difficult indeed and if achieved..?

Amen.

-----------------------

Thanks for reading,

Neo.
Fri 08/11/02 at 11:40
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
AbsoluT Neó wrote:
> I met god today he said thou shall not be deprived from havin Vice
> City,

e me at [email protected].
Fri 08/11/02 at 11:34
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Give this man some sedatives.
Fri 08/11/02 at 10:47
Regular
"  "
Ah, so you dont have it yet?
Fri 08/11/02 at 01:07
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I met god today he said thou shall not be deprived from havin Vice City,

Unfortunatly thats when I woke up...
Thu 07/11/02 at 13:19
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Give this man a GAD for his Englsh..

;-)
Thu 07/11/02 at 13:14
Regular
"  "
Shouldn't that have been,

"Glad we cleared that one up"

:P
Thu 07/11/02 at 12:43
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
Glad we cleared up that one...

:D
Thu 07/11/02 at 11:57
Regular
"  "
Ah, I see your point. So yes, developers are like God, creating the world in which we play in. :)
Thu 07/11/02 at 11:25
Regular
"Ar-gen-tina!"
I agree its it's nice to be in control of something you do, we are in control of what we do an dont really have any restrictications on life, yet we didn't create the world, but people can destroy it -- for example GTA 3 not many rules you can basically do what you want and feel in control and can destroy the city if you wish, yet we didn't make that city it was made by someone who knows the wants and needs of the gamer with imaginary and an escape to a world that can allows us to physcally do things which we cannot in real life and we feel apart of the action.
Thu 07/11/02 at 11:21
Regular
"Bounty housewife..."
A well written piece of work from Neo - well done matey...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.