GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Consoles/Handhelds"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/11/07 at 22:15
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Ok, Im buying a Christmas present for an 11 year old that has never owned any computer gamey stuff before and so doesnt have any preferences as to type of games etc. But Ive no idea which to buy! TV or handheld, doesnt really matter either way.

Which one would you buy and what games with it up to max of 3 games?
Fri 16/11/07 at 22:15
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
Ok, Im buying a Christmas present for an 11 year old that has never owned any computer gamey stuff before and so doesnt have any preferences as to type of games etc. But Ive no idea which to buy! TV or handheld, doesnt really matter either way.

Which one would you buy and what games with it up to max of 3 games?
Fri 16/11/07 at 22:52
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Do you have a budget in mind? Also how conscious about mature content/game ratings do you want to be?
Fri 16/11/07 at 23:00
Regular
"Monochromatic"
What i'd do is buy one of those plugin controllers that has 20-40 games programmed into them. I think they'd be a good introduction and a hell of a lot cheaper then 1 machine 3 games.
Sat 17/11/07 at 16:14
Regular
"Monochromatic"
If you didnt want to go with my suggestion below, i'd go with the Nintendo DS, Animal Crossing, Bomberman and Mario Kart. Throw in a Final Fantasy game as well if you're feeling generous. We need a new generation for our army.
Sat 17/11/07 at 17:37
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
no budget Garin, as for ratings, yeah i tend to stick to them. theyre there for a reason
Sat 17/11/07 at 17:54
Regular
For the fun-factor, the Wii is great. And places like ASDA are doing a deal on some of the lesser popular games at the moment...

However, I remember being more interested in Game Boy than SNES when I was 11, so DS may be the better choice.
Sun 18/11/07 at 09:25
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
trish wrote:
> Which one would you buy and what games with it up to max of 3
> games?

I'd ask them what consoles their friends have then get the same so they'd have something in common.

If it's any help at the age of 11 my nephew had a Gamecube and a PS2 but mainly stuck the the Gamecube because of games like Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Now he's 13 and it's hard to pull him of the PC which he uses to play Guild Wars whenever he gets the chance and this Christmas he's hoping for an XBox 360 and the goriest games possible, the more decapitation and dismemberment the better.

My neice started on PSOne with Barbie Race and Ride when she was about 10, then at 12 migrated to PS2 with games like Sing Star Pop, Karaoke Revolution and Dance Dance Revolution. Now at 14 she has migrated to her i-Pod Nano and boys and wants her own laptop for Christmas.

So at age 11 I'd recommend Nintendo Gamecube or Nintendo Wii for boy (Nintendo is a huge craze for boys that age) and PS2 for girl (PS2 offers more social/music type games, handy for sleepovers) and much simpler to use at that age than a PS3, but set aside a couple of grand for a few years time at which stage they'll both want to be hooked up online with powerful PCs and going on killing sprees in game with their mates (boys) or downloading viruses via MSN Chat, plonking all their personal information into social networking sites and talkin lik dis cuz itz gr8 (girls).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.