GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Current Central?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/11/07 at 17:06
Regular
In the past there was a link that I could click on to discover my current central, I still had the link but its dead does any one know where they moved it to? my internet tonight is really slow struggling to get above 1MB download tonight - I have found the page about the centrals and going by this chart I think tonight I am on No1

Central 1 =
Expected performance 2.6Mbps

Central 2 =
Expected performance 7.1Mbps

Central 3 =
Expected performance 7.2Mbps

Central 4 =

Central 5 =

Central 6 =

Why is 1 so slow?

Kev
Fri 16/11/07 at 12:06
"Are you sure?"
Your results show you are more than likely on a 5500 IP Profile (5.5mbits) as you have just broken the 5000 mark.

So with your current line sync the profile still needs to recover a bit more (to 6500).

Most people would be more than happy with that speed!
It's only as you are so close to the exchange that you can expect better. If you don't drop your connection your profile will improve over the next few days.

NO two filters won't help!
A filter splits the signal on the line between voice and data.

As your profile (hence your speed) is already good, normal web surfing etc. should all be fine and you shouldn't notice any difference from your normal maximum speed.
Fri 16/11/07 at 11:35
Regular
Ok I have done several tests this morning with varied results.#

Download 4976, 4672, 4992, 5008, 5032, 5056.
Upload 343, 356, 347, 351, 348, 355.

How would it work if you put two ADSL filters in the phone socket? would that help? or even work for that matter?

Still no luck with BTs speed tester.

Kev
Fri 16/11/07 at 09:38
"Are you sure?"
Hi Digi,
Glad to hear your line is more stable.

On the face it your line is great! (I'm *jealous*)

With the attenuation so low it shows you are right on top of your exchange! Mine for example is 50db(down) which shows correctly that my line is a few miles long.

As you are so close to your exchange you sync or 'data rate' is the maximum you can get! Would have been 8128 before you had interleaving set on, 7616 is the correct maximum speed you can get.

Normally all you have to do now if wait for 'up to' 5 days but it's normally around 3 days in my experience for your IP Profile to recover.

You should end up with an IP Profile (also known as BRAS) of 6.5mbits. See table here: www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/adslmax

Also see the notes on this page: www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/speedtest/
You can do a 'cheap and cheerful' speedtest there if you can't get the official BT one to work. The notes explain how you can roughly workout your current profile.

Can you let us know what your download speed is reported as?
Thu 15/11/07 at 19:04
Regular
Hi Hmmm must have missed that profile bit, does this help? is that info in here?

BTSPEEDTESTER..... in a word no I tried several times but it does not appear to do any thing at all, but dont tell them or you will be charged £188.00 for them to check it out he he. Yeah Eccles did say that the speed thing might take a few days to settle he due to call me tomorrow (before 4pm if you can Eccles as am back to work tomorrow night) the loss of signal has not moved since tuesday night now :)

I have read and re read the post about understanding MAX ADSL Connection and Eccles posting about interleaving some makes sense other bits go right over my head

SNR Margin 10.8 25.0 dB
Line Attenuation 9.0 7.5 dB
Errored Seconds 3580 25
Loss of Signal 38 38
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 554 8
Data Rate 7616 448 kbps
Latency INTERLEAVED INTERLEAVED

Hmmm... wrote:
> Hi Digi,
> Over on TBB I asked you if you had checked your IP Profile - but
> you didn't answer.
>
> When you loose connection there is a good chance that BT's
> 'profiling system' reduced your speed. It can take 'up to' 5
> days to recover.
>
> Did you manage to complete the BT test? www.speedtester.bt.com
> It can take a few attempts!
>
> See my
> understanding
> ADSL thread
which tries to explain things.
>
>
> As for Central 1 - it's been running poorly all day and only
> just starting to recover. But you're not on Central 1 so that's
> not important ;¬p
>
> Search Freeola
> Chat
Thu 15/11/07 at 17:33
"Are you sure?"
Hi Digi,
Over on TBB I asked you if you had checked your IP Profile - but you didn't answer.

When you loose connection there is a good chance that BT's 'profiling system' reduced your speed. It can take 'up to' 5 days to recover.

Did you manage to complete the BT test? www.speedtester.bt.com
It can take a few attempts!

See my understanding ADSL thread which tries to explain things.

As for Central 1 - it's been running poorly all day and only just starting to recover. But you're not on Central 1 so that's not important ;¬p

Search Freeola Chat
Thu 15/11/07 at 17:26
Regular
thats the fella cheers darn am on number 4 that said speed is creeping up again 3.5mb just now.

Kev
Thu 15/11/07 at 17:23
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
I believe the link you are after is here.
Thu 15/11/07 at 17:06
Regular
In the past there was a link that I could click on to discover my current central, I still had the link but its dead does any one know where they moved it to? my internet tonight is really slow struggling to get above 1MB download tonight - I have found the page about the centrals and going by this chart I think tonight I am on No1

Central 1 =
Expected performance 2.6Mbps

Central 2 =

Central 3 =

Central 4 =

Central 5 =

Central 6 =

Why is 1 so slow?

Kev

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.