GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Find me and RPG"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 15/11/07 at 16:32
Regular
"THFC"
Basically i have been desperate for a great RPG for sometime. I love the genre and i love losing 40 hours of my life to what most people would call a waste lol

I am hoping some of you will be able to help me out with games i might have missed or i can expect to be coming out

I have a Wii and a Ps3 & PC

The RPG's i have played and loved the most are the following:

Final Fantasy 7,9,10,12 (8 was fun)
Suikoden 1 + 2 (4 was fairly good, 5 didnt cut it for me)
I have enchanted arms but i aint really getting into it.
Dragonquest 8 (ps2)

I am having a bit of a mental block at the Moment but those are some i have enjoyed / loved. I really like MMORPG aswell, Warcraft never appealed to me, just paying for it and i assume its way too indepth.

But if you have any suggestions i would be really thankful

Like i said, any games coming out would also be a big help

Thanks
Thu 15/11/07 at 16:32
Regular
"THFC"
Basically i have been desperate for a great RPG for sometime. I love the genre and i love losing 40 hours of my life to what most people would call a waste lol

I am hoping some of you will be able to help me out with games i might have missed or i can expect to be coming out

I have a Wii and a Ps3 & PC

The RPG's i have played and loved the most are the following:

Final Fantasy 7,9,10,12 (8 was fun)
Suikoden 1 + 2 (4 was fairly good, 5 didnt cut it for me)
I have enchanted arms but i aint really getting into it.
Dragonquest 8 (ps2)

I am having a bit of a mental block at the Moment but those are some i have enjoyed / loved. I really like MMORPG aswell, Warcraft never appealed to me, just paying for it and i assume its way too indepth.

But if you have any suggestions i would be really thankful

Like i said, any games coming out would also be a big help

Thanks
Thu 15/11/07 at 17:35
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Final Fantasy XI
I've had it for months but havent started playing it yet.
Fri 16/11/07 at 08:37
Regular
"THFC"
I always looked at that but then i never had a good enough PC to play it, i do now but i thought there wouldnt be any people on it
Fri 16/11/07 at 09:54
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Emmie87 wrote:
> I always looked at that but then i never had a good enough PC to
> play it, i do now but i thought there wouldnt be any people on
> it

Roughly 500,000 people play it. Doesn't sound like much compared to the millions that play WoW but half a million makes it the 3rd or 4th most popular mmorpg in existence. It also has a new expansion coming out on November 22nd so still going strong, probably another 5-7 years left minimum.

It's also multi-platform, you can play on PS2/3, XBox 360 or PC and everyone plays on the same servers.

I've been playing 4+ years now, if you think chewing up 40 hours in an RPG is a good thing then you'll probably love it, it's a veritable life-sapper. Alternativlely if you don't like being dependannt on other players to get 90% of the content done, get World of Warcraft which is a fantastic game all the way up into the 60s, mainly because you're not dependant on anyone to level up. If they brought it out on the 360 I'd still be playing it. (My last PC died and I'm tired of upgrading so stick to consoles).

Alternatively you can hold out for Square Enix's next mmorpg that's rumoured to be in development.

For offline RPGs I've played all of the ones on your list, but switched to the 360 last year. Blue Dragon comes highly recommended but I don't know if it'll arrive on your platforms, however, get Oblivion, you can easily chew up a couple of hundred hours in that one and it's gorgeous.

Kwada will tell you to get Disgaea for the PS2, also a life-sapper, and much more tactical than Enchanted Arms but less shiny in the graphics department.

Might be worth you picking up a 2nd hand XBox just to get your mitts on Fable which is still a good blast even in this next-gen era, and if you're really, really dedicated import a U.S. PS2 replete with network adaptor and hard drive and grab yourself a copy of EverQuest Online Adventures on the PS2. I think that's my favourite all-time mmorpg and I still think about importing just so I can play it again since they shut down the European servers.
Fri 16/11/07 at 12:07
Regular
Oh, and Dark Cloud and its sequel Dark Chronicles on the PS2, similar in style to Dragon Quest 8 (cel-shaded, run around killing stuff) but an awful lot of depth, including fish races, spheda (dungeon golf), weapon upgrading, synthesis, town building etc.

The dungeons get a lot of stick from gamers for their repetitiveness, but I didn't mind and spent a lot of time in them farming materials for upgrades, playing golf and fishing.

These were the first titles I'd ever played that were developed by Level-5, now I'm a huge fan of all Level-5's output and keep a close watch on all the stuff they've got in development.
Fri 16/11/07 at 14:06
Regular
"THFC"
Thanks for all your help, i had stumbled across dark Chronicles, i liked it but i have a bad habit of getting out of a game too quick because my wallet shouts, use me!
Fri 16/11/07 at 23:09
Regular
Speaking of crap games, I've been playing that Disgaea on psp recently. It's only redeeming factors are the penguins that plague the title. Penguins are sexy.
Sat 17/11/07 at 15:18
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
*yawnnnnnnn*

ahem, anyway Dark Chronicles is a good little game, one of the few action RPG's i've kept playing through til the end. Dark Cloud however i didn't like, dungeons were far too repetitive and the whole thing was just too bland.

Don't know when, or even if, it's coming out in Europe but look out for Soul Nomad and The World Eaters if it does make an appearance, a blend of Disgaea and Tactics Ogre, it's very good.
Mon 19/11/07 at 17:44
Regular
Oh, and grab a 360 just for Mass Effect which is...

"...one of my favorite RPGs I have ever played -- and I've played a lot of RPGs" - Hilary Goldstein, IGN.com

"...one of the finest video game experiences I've ever had" - Wesley Yin-Poole, Videogamer.com

"...one of the greatest role-playing games ever made." - Gerald Villoria, Gamespy.com

"...a spellbinding, cinematic experience." - Jonathan Marx, Cheat Code Central

"...simply another one of those titles that you have to own" - Amadeo Plaza, Gamer 2.0

"...easily the most enthralling space adventure that’s ever been created for a video game platform" - Mike Flacy, Video Game Talk

...rather good, by many accounts.
Tue 27/11/07 at 16:56
Regular
runescape is an ausome site my name on it is bendo26

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.