GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XBox 2 specs press release"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/11/02 at 09:44
Regular
Sources have leaked the figures, but have made clear that this is not a look at final hardware, but merely a guideline to certain developers - such as Rare and Lionhead - for the construction of their next-generation Xbox games.

According to sources, Xbox 2 games about to go into development are looking at the following specs as a guide: 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 central processor, 512MB of RAM, NV30 graphics chip.

"People are very edgy about this due to some serious NDAs [Non-Disclosure Agreements - Ed]," said one insider under conditions of strict anonymity. "But you have to understand that this is simply Microsoft getting ready for the next round of development. These specs are pretty widely known in the development community right now."

---------------------------------

It's looking hefty, and more and more like a PC every update.

Slave
Wed 13/11/02 at 09:44
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Sources have leaked the figures, but have made clear that this is not a look at final hardware, but merely a guideline to certain developers - such as Rare and Lionhead - for the construction of their next-generation Xbox games.

According to sources, Xbox 2 games about to go into development are looking at the following specs as a guide: 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 central processor, 512MB of RAM, NV30 graphics chip.

"People are very edgy about this due to some serious NDAs [Non-Disclosure Agreements - Ed]," said one insider under conditions of strict anonymity. "But you have to understand that this is simply Microsoft getting ready for the next round of development. These specs are pretty widely known in the development community right now."

---------------------------------

It's looking hefty, and more and more like a PC every update.

Slave
Wed 13/11/02 at 09:47
2.8ghz won't be enough power for the next generation of consoles. Considering that they won't hit the shelves for another 3 years at least, by that time, PC gaming will be expecting average CPU speeds around 3.5Ghz, and 512MB RAM? No, try a gig and a half.
Wed 13/11/02 at 10:03
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
but then the ps2 was considerably lower than the pc spec of the time and is far lower now, yet still manages to impress...
Wed 13/11/02 at 10:04
doesn't impress me, never has. My PC is superior in every respect.
Wed 13/11/02 at 10:57
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Doesn't impress? How about the fact that a 2 year old machine running a 233MHz processor can produce graphics equal to the top spec machines of today?

* Slave leaves, not getting into a consoles vs PCs argument, as it is a waste of time. Horses for courses.
Wed 13/11/02 at 11:09
yes, yes, leave.

Nothing on the Playstation can match the grpahical prowess of even my outdated machine.

And I'm sure if someone wanted to run PC games in the p***-poor resolution that PS2 games are played in, then it could easilly be done.

Faith is such a blinding trait.
Wed 13/11/02 at 11:47
Regular
Now, I know you guys like these good old arguements, but the graphics of the PS2 are still samn impressive.

For the simple fact that many developers have used the power of the PS2 to pull off some blinding animation which has yet to be seen on other consoles. The character animation in Virtua Fighter 4 and Pro Evolution Soccer hasn't been matched on any other platform, but never mind, it will soon as the Xbox can do anything the PS2 can do, and better.

If any company actually makes a game utilising the vertex and pixel shaders, prepare to be amazed.
Wed 13/11/02 at 12:17
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Well, if you want to play PCs then that's fine. I have a PC of a reasonable spec (2.53GHz), but I still prefer the games on the PS2.

If you want to shield yourself off from the consoles, go ahead. If you wanna miss out on the best games available for the sake of nievety, be my guest.

Have fun with MS Train Sim, ratatata...
Wed 13/11/02 at 12:42
Regular
Well, for a start PS2 is 300Mhz (well 294 to be precise), certainly not 233Mhz which some 1 claimed earlier.

Right then, who things GT3 on PS2 looks rubbish?

What about FFX?

Even Burnout2 and NFS on PS2 look good.

How about the Getaway?

I have an older pc, and I have played a few demo's on it. Stuff like Operation Flashpoint. Is this supposed to impress me? Well it doesn't. Lack of power means the graphics have to be turned down, and even then the response of the characters and vehicles is rubbish. Like a 3sec delay between pressing the key and seeing a change on screen.
Wed 13/11/02 at 12:45
"Darkness, always"
Slaveunit wrote:
> Well, if you want to play PCs then that's fine. I have a PC of a
> reasonable spec (2.53GHz), but I still prefer the games on the PS2.
>
> If you want to shield yourself off from the consoles, go ahead. If you
> wanna miss out on the best games available for the sake of nievety, be
> my guest.
>
> Have fun with MS Train Sim, ratatata...

Oh look, another idiot.

Hello IDIOT. From this day forth, I shall refer to you only as idiot, and nothing else.

Know that you have earned this.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.