GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The True Gamer"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/03/02 at 20:35
Regular
There's no such thing as a "true" gamer.

Anyone can play games, someone more knowledgeable like me has no more right than anyone who just plays for the fun of things.

There aren't many gamers that can afford all the consoles out there, me included, and that's how biased opinions start.

I myself would rather play all the consoles before making a fair desicion on what to buy. If I can't, I'll rely on the information I've read off numerous sites, and/or what I have already played.

I usually stick with Nintendo, only because I have thouroughly enjoyed playing on their systems in the past, and because not many other consoles have swayed me away at all.

This does not mean I don't think any other console has it's merits. The Playstation 2 is decent enough, having some great games, Tekken Tag Tournament and Grand Theft Auto III to name a couple. However, I dislike the console for the reasons that they have turned the gaming market into a fashion market, where only they will do otherwise you're not considered as cool. The Playstation 2's original price was too high for me anyway, as it the X-box price at the moment. My brother recently bought a Playstation 2 in the last few months mind. Has a combination of around ten Playstation and Playstation 2 games for it, but I have only gained a level of fun from a couple of them.

I also dislike the X-box, with it's high price, terribly designed controllers, and the not so exciting games I've played on it so far. I also know of someone who tried the X-box, only to have it crash on the loading screen, and on a seperate occasion there was a "Controller error" message where he couldn't reset the console as it was locked away in one of those pods.

Fair enough, there are those who do like those consoles and I respect that. However, what I don't respect is the way they then have the cheek to tell me my choice of console is crap, childish and isn't worth buying due to a lack of decent games arriving on the system. Bearing in mind, a lot of games on the current set of consoles are multiformat anyway, each one having it's own set of exclusive games to try and persuade you to ditch your current console and switch to theirs.

I am completely fed up of people telling me that I have no knowledge of gaming because I am a Nintendo fan, don't play Final Fantasy games, haven't got a Playstation, and because I like Pokémon. I have just as much knowledge as the next gamer, if not a little more, because I open my eyes, have a sense of reality, and aren't afraid to try any games with bright and colourful looks!

Does it mean that because I like Mario and Sonic games, I am an infant at primary school?

No.

Does it mean that because I haven't chosen a console with a DVD player with it, I will be wallowing in self pity for the rest of my life?

No.

Does it mean that because I dislike the Playstation 2 and X-box, I will never try any games on them?

No, as after trying my first proper go on a Dreamcast at my friends house, I instantly fell in love! I played Sonic Adventure 2, and I decided I wanted it, and last Christmas, my mum bought me a Dreamcast which I thouroughly enjoy! I used to dislike the console because of it's different shaped controller, it's different style of games, and because it was by Nintendo's then rival company Sega.

If I hadn't got a Dreamcast I would have deeply regretted it. Again, I couldn't afford one when it was released, but since it was lowered in price recently due to it's lack of production, and the lack of new releases, it was the perfect time for me to get one. Granted, the console isn't perfect, but is there such thing as a perfect console? One that never scratches, never skips tracks, never glitches, never breaks down at all? As Sony, Microsoft, Sega and even Nintendo know, it's not possible for that to happen.

If there was such thing as a perfect console, do you think we'd all be happy? Shops would be able to charge what they like for games and accessories, seeing as there'd be little or no competition, and the quality of the games themselves would be allowed to drop dramatically, thus rendering the console imperfect, and going back to square 1.

So I hope I have educated the majority of you, who think they are better than others because of what system they play, or what knowledge they feel they have, who think they are "True Gamers", that there is no such thing, as no one can or will be able to define a "True Gamer" other than as someone who enjoys playing games.
Thu 14/03/02 at 19:57
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Yea, like Mission Impossible on the N64 got a sub 80% review by most people but, I looked at some screenshots and I thought, "Yea, this could quite rock"

So, I bought it, and it should of been give at least 85% its such a cool game, just for the sheer enjoyment of spraying paint into guards instead of on the camera's!!

*Memories of the Old Skool8

Ahh the times..
Thu 14/03/02 at 12:39
Regular
NOM wasn't quite awful. Bits like their brilliant Perfect Dark cheat times walk through showed that they really knew their stuff well.

Only thing was the aimed their magazine at the stereotypical Ninty - a five year old.
They were a bit of an embarrasment really, especially with all the "gaystation poo" nonsense...
Wed 13/03/02 at 20:07
Regular
What can I say? I learnt from experience, NOM's a good magazine for news, but the magazine is worded for the younger of age and the reviews contain more pictures than words to describe what the games are about. (Slight exaggeration there)

I still read magazines, but only to boost my gaming knowledge. I never take reviews too seriously as I have found out from past experience that one person's judgement may be totally different to anothers.

I will basically try any game that takes my fancy at the time I've got the money and see it in the shops, even if a magazine has given it a bad score. I mean, I listened to all the magazines who said that Tomb Raider on the Game Boy Color is a "must have" title. Ok, I have it now, but have I played it in the last three or four months? No! It is a terrible game, in my opinion, just using the name to make a bit of money. The game is so slow, repetative, and is too much like "Pull switch, run to other side of level, pull switch, run back again..."

Ofcourse I will take note of magazine reviews, but usually only for the content of the game, not how good the magazine thinks it is.

Reading a specific console magazine is like talking to a friend. Of course you agree on one thing in principle, otherwise why did you get the magazine? However, you may not feel exactly the same way about things.

So trust your instinct, not that of a magazine, internet, ceefax, or even a friends review of a game. You never know, you might suprise yourself!
Wed 13/03/02 at 10:58
Regular
I remember on Digitiser how letters coming in from MS fans saying that the Gamecube was for kids and True Gamers would splash out for the proper stuff.

Wouldn't the True Gamer be the one who liked great games for what they are, not because they look all "adult", "realistic" and "cool".

True Gamers like Pokémon because the RPG's are top.
True Gamers don't moan at Zelda's Cell Shading and whine "its not reelistic enuff and im not a little kiddie anymore".

I think you could call yourself a true gamer Edgy, even if you did used to swear by NOM! ;-)
Tue 12/03/02 at 20:51
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Edgy, your a wise man aint ya?

I have the same views, just because I own an N64, doesn't mean that I worship Mario does it? Its because I liked Goldeneye really badly, I had to have it.

I personally don't like the X-Box because of its crappy designed controls and its vrey expensive, but probably it will turn out to be the most sucsessful console in the world or something silly.

Like, the PS2, I like it, but there not enough there to convince me to choose it over the GC, so I have chosen GC. But, It doesn't mean I hate Sony and everything to do with them. If someone offered me a PS2 at a knockdown price I know I couldn't say no!

I kinda wondered off into my own little world there, but hey, nice topic.
Tue 12/03/02 at 20:47
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I agree. I don't form opinions until I have enough knowledge that will convince me that I like/hate it.
Tue 12/03/02 at 20:35
Regular
There's no such thing as a "true" gamer.

Anyone can play games, someone more knowledgeable like me has no more right than anyone who just plays for the fun of things.

There aren't many gamers that can afford all the consoles out there, me included, and that's how biased opinions start.

I myself would rather play all the consoles before making a fair desicion on what to buy. If I can't, I'll rely on the information I've read off numerous sites, and/or what I have already played.

I usually stick with Nintendo, only because I have thouroughly enjoyed playing on their systems in the past, and because not many other consoles have swayed me away at all.

This does not mean I don't think any other console has it's merits. The Playstation 2 is decent enough, having some great games, Tekken Tag Tournament and Grand Theft Auto III to name a couple. However, I dislike the console for the reasons that they have turned the gaming market into a fashion market, where only they will do otherwise you're not considered as cool. The Playstation 2's original price was too high for me anyway, as it the X-box price at the moment. My brother recently bought a Playstation 2 in the last few months mind. Has a combination of around ten Playstation and Playstation 2 games for it, but I have only gained a level of fun from a couple of them.

I also dislike the X-box, with it's high price, terribly designed controllers, and the not so exciting games I've played on it so far. I also know of someone who tried the X-box, only to have it crash on the loading screen, and on a seperate occasion there was a "Controller error" message where he couldn't reset the console as it was locked away in one of those pods.

Fair enough, there are those who do like those consoles and I respect that. However, what I don't respect is the way they then have the cheek to tell me my choice of console is crap, childish and isn't worth buying due to a lack of decent games arriving on the system. Bearing in mind, a lot of games on the current set of consoles are multiformat anyway, each one having it's own set of exclusive games to try and persuade you to ditch your current console and switch to theirs.

I am completely fed up of people telling me that I have no knowledge of gaming because I am a Nintendo fan, don't play Final Fantasy games, haven't got a Playstation, and because I like Pokémon. I have just as much knowledge as the next gamer, if not a little more, because I open my eyes, have a sense of reality, and aren't afraid to try any games with bright and colourful looks!

Does it mean that because I like Mario and Sonic games, I am an infant at primary school?

No.

Does it mean that because I haven't chosen a console with a DVD player with it, I will be wallowing in self pity for the rest of my life?

No.

Does it mean that because I dislike the Playstation 2 and X-box, I will never try any games on them?

No, as after trying my first proper go on a Dreamcast at my friends house, I instantly fell in love! I played Sonic Adventure 2, and I decided I wanted it, and last Christmas, my mum bought me a Dreamcast which I thouroughly enjoy! I used to dislike the console because of it's different shaped controller, it's different style of games, and because it was by Nintendo's then rival company Sega.

If I hadn't got a Dreamcast I would have deeply regretted it. Again, I couldn't afford one when it was released, but since it was lowered in price recently due to it's lack of production, and the lack of new releases, it was the perfect time for me to get one. Granted, the console isn't perfect, but is there such thing as a perfect console? One that never scratches, never skips tracks, never glitches, never breaks down at all? As Sony, Microsoft, Sega and even Nintendo know, it's not possible for that to happen.

If there was such thing as a perfect console, do you think we'd all be happy? Shops would be able to charge what they like for games and accessories, seeing as there'd be little or no competition, and the quality of the games themselves would be allowed to drop dramatically, thus rendering the console imperfect, and going back to square 1.

So I hope I have educated the majority of you, who think they are better than others because of what system they play, or what knowledge they feel they have, who think they are "True Gamers", that there is no such thing, as no one can or will be able to define a "True Gamer" other than as someone who enjoys playing games.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.