GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Expansion- have Nintendo aways had it on their mind?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/03/02 at 19:01
Regular
I was playing on my NES last night, and I decided to take a look underneath it. I was surpried to see what looked like a plastic box covering a port. I then started to wonder. Have Nintendo always wanted to expand their consoles?

We first really thought about expansions when the 64DD came out for the N64. It was a good idea, but never got released in the U.K. We already know that the GC has an expansion port on its underside, and I hope it gets used. That brings me to a question.

What will it be used for?
It could contain a DVD port (highly unlikely because of the Q cube) that will allow us U.K gamers to play DVD's on our GC. This is normally the point where people say, "The gamecube is for playing games. etc" I KNOW! The other thing it could have is an MP3 player, that would be used when we download music from the internet using the GC's modem. It would be interesting to put our own choice of music into games. That way, the cruddy music (SA2 anyone?) would be replaced by music that is enjoyable, yet suits the game.

Any ideas on the expansion bay accessories?
Thanks

Microchips
Fri 15/03/02 at 20:00
Regular
On the Nes the port thing was used as kind of an early internet and network thing but i think it was only used in Japan.
Fri 15/03/02 at 18:01
Regular
It depends on how you use a cheat cart.

A more appropriate name for one could be a Game Enhancer as Action Replay carts can do more than just cheat in games.
Fri 15/03/02 at 17:58
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I don't like your idea of a new Cheat Cart slot Indian Dude. Cheating's bad! And I won GAD a few months back for a post on how there'll be more 'fair play' in the 'next-generation'.
Thu 14/03/02 at 17:58
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
There are so many uses for the port on the GC, lets just hope Nintendo use it to its full.
Thu 14/03/02 at 17:15
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
i think it could be used as :

A cheat cartridge slot , instead of using the cd's and the memory card things , one of those ports could be used to plug in a cheat cartridge.

Expasion pack : like the n64 , it could be used to add more ram.

Humungous memory card : Instead of buying loads of memory cards , you could plug in just one (shaped like a port) that has the equivalent to 100 memory cards.

Link cable ; link gamecubes from one of the ports , probably the high speed port.

the possibilitiesare endless !!!!
Wed 13/03/02 at 19:22
Regular
Microchips wrote:
> Yeah. Nintendo really need a class idea for the port on the GC, and it needs to
> be released over here to be in competetion with the likes of microsoft. Another
> thing the port could be used for is a GB advance cartridge holder. That way,
> you could play GB, advance and GC games all on a big screen.

That's a more likely idea than the MP3 one. Nintendo didn't include any extra features like DVD plaabilities, or MP3 playabilities because they wanted to make a games machine. Nothing more, nothing less.
Wed 13/03/02 at 18:27
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Yeah. Nintendo really need a class idea for the port on the GC, and it needs to be released over here to be in competetion with the likes of microsoft. Another thing the port could be used for is a GB advance cartridge holder. That way, you could play GB, advance and GC games all on a big screen.
Wed 13/03/02 at 18:20
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Well, whatever's available for that port on the Cube, we probably won't get it over here! :(

And I think an MP3 system, where you could download music is a good idea! You can also do that with the X-box, and put MP3's in some games!
Tue 12/03/02 at 19:27
Regular
On the NES, the expansion port was used for a Floppy Disk Drive in Japan (and probably the states). It was used for game modifications made by Nintendo as far as I'm aware.

On the SNES, the expansion port WAS going to be used for the N-CD which we all know was later named the Sony Playstation, which Sony decided to use for themselves.

And you know of the Double-D in Japan.

So, if things go as they have done in the past, I doubt we'll see anything in the UK which this port can use.
Tue 12/03/02 at 19:23
Regular
probably have, they were just palying it safe

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.