GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future of gaming? What does it hold?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/10/00 at 20:00
Regular
What does my BBC 1985 Computer, my Multimedia PC and my N64 have in common? Nothing we might say but that is not true. Behind every console and PC (or mac!) there is the incentive to make games to serve the ever wanting public. Some producers make games for money others to make people smile. Take Quake for example - how many office workers do you know that don't take stress relief tablets but take it out by blasting bots about 200 yards through the air? Or what about Zelda - I don't know anyone who hasn't enjoyed the sweet music made by pressing the keys when playing the Ocarina. The thing is, I would have never thought that when playing with my BBC that in a few years time the invention of 3D cards and better technology would change my view of games for ever. I still remember finding 'Blagger' , an old BBC game, extremly tricky but all that seems easy now compared to games with AI bots which learn as you play. I still compare my N64 to my BBC - looking how much they have improved the entire gaming experience.

Why do we need to play games? I play them because I enjoy blasting things miles away or making virtual cities and rescuing princesses. My school friends often say the same. We always discuss about new games and new PC specs and we always come to the part about the future. We all read in magazines what's comming out next year or even next month but none of us actually buy it when it comes round to it. We enjoy talking about Virtual Reality and holo-suites but will we ever get it? None of us can wait until it really does happen so we can leave all those fake 1st person games to real first person where you actually are inside the game.

I think that the future of gaming will come soon enough and every gamer will be breaking the doors of game shops just to get the amazing new Voodoo 100 and Quake 55. But for now I'm just gonna settle down and wait for Zelda 2 to come and for me to lock myself in my room for a few weeks!
Tue 03/10/00 at 20:00
What does my BBC 1985 Computer, my Multimedia PC and my N64 have in common? Nothing we might say but that is not true. Behind every console and PC (or mac!) there is the incentive to make games to serve the ever wanting public. Some producers make games for money others to make people smile. Take Quake for example - how many office workers do you know that don't take stress relief tablets but take it out by blasting bots about 200 yards through the air? Or what about Zelda - I don't know anyone who hasn't enjoyed the sweet music made by pressing the keys when playing the Ocarina. The thing is, I would have never thought that when playing with my BBC that in a few years time the invention of 3D cards and better technology would change my view of games for ever. I still remember finding 'Blagger' , an old BBC game, extremly tricky but all that seems easy now compared to games with AI bots which learn as you play. I still compare my N64 to my BBC - looking how much they have improved the entire gaming experience.

Why do we need to play games? I play them because I enjoy blasting things miles away or making virtual cities and rescuing princesses. My school friends often say the same. We always discuss about new games and new PC specs and we always come to the part about the future. We all read in magazines what's comming out next year or even next month but none of us actually buy it when it comes round to it. We enjoy talking about Virtual Reality and holo-suites but will we ever get it? None of us can wait until it really does happen so we can leave all those fake 1st person games to real first person where you actually are inside the game.

I think that the future of gaming will come soon enough and every gamer will be breaking the doors of game shops just to get the amazing new Voodoo 100 and Quake 55. But for now I'm just gonna settle down and wait for Zelda 2 to come and for me to lock myself in my room for a few weeks!
Tue 03/10/00 at 20:08
Regular
Cause of death: Zelda.

What a sad sad case...

By the way, I hope you won't feel too bad, but from the length and work used on this topic, and the fact that is more of a statement than a question, I guess this was made to win Game a day. Yes? (Yes.) Good. I hate to say this, but todays has already been chosen, so you can't win.
Nice post though...
Tue 03/10/00 at 20:09
And if you'd written this tomorrow you would've won a game (that's a compliment BTW)

I always enjoy playing older games as well, some of them are still addictive today. Actually, at the moment I'm trying to find some old Saturn games that I got rid of to get a Dreamcast. I always seem to trade stuff in and then want it again afterwards, but it helps me to get new consoles I guess. Gaming can be relaxing, or addictive and fun. I've found myself coming back to a game again and again trying to finish a level, becoming annoyed when I have to go off and do something else (or is that me just being lazy?!)
As to playing games in games, I love the Sonic Adventure Chaos part and come back to that quite often and play the driving bit a lot too.
Tue 03/10/00 at 20:14
Regular
They've made a working Dreamcast emulator now, how times are advancing...
(How does this relate to this you ask? You said that you enjoy playing old games you no longer have, and this is what emulation enables you to do, if it is actually illegal...)

What is Sonic Adventure like by the way?
Tue 03/10/00 at 20:55
Sonic Adventure is excellent in my opinion. Although the main game does not convince you to play through it again, at least you can play all the action levels separately and there are some nice bonus games and a lovely chao game for your VMS (like a tamagochi thing)
Emulators, mmm, I love them but I don't really have that many, or the time to play them.
Tue 03/10/00 at 21:54
Regular
The future eh?
In the near future Rare won't have to squeeze their master pieces onto small 30MB cartriges. They now have a huge 1500MB to play around with!
Not only that but a superfast broadband adaptor for high speed internet play and Perfect Dark to play on it!
I can't wait!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.