GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Deathrow Is Underated"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Deathrow'.
Mon 18/11/02 at 00:07
Regular
Please, play the demo again!

First time played, my brother and I thought "good concept, but the gameplays not very good, all you do is shot and fight". This couldn't be further from the truth.

I've played the demo now at least 20 times. Its so deep and rewarding when you grasp all the skills in the game.

Don't just think its all running about punching people and laughing when they swear, learn to evade tackles, charge up deathrow shots, change tactics to play defencivly, attacking or out and out fighting. I could go on for ages telling you how enjoyable Deathrow is once you master all the skills, and don't go by OXMs 5.something review. Its not like they say "making you feel out of the game", if they would have played it for 10 minutes they would descover pressing black changes character.

Agrh, play the demo again, a few times and I bet the game will grow on you. Theres nothing as satisfying as approching 3 defendeders, Deathrowing the first with the disk, rolling out of the way of the second's kick then just breaking the last mans back with a satisfying Matrix throw, followed by a jump shot straight into the goal. THEN sliding under the net for the disk, auto targeting the net again and letting rip another shot. 2 goals in about 15 seconds. It feels so good.

One last thing I will say, this game has so much potential. It would make the perfect game for XboxLive, I'm 100% sure of that. The clans, levels, skins etc all could be made by Live users. As I say, try it once more and you might just end up adding it to your Christmas List like me.

PS- anyone noticed not all the swearing is *bleeped* out? I've heard "pass it, ****** ******" a few times now. :P
Sat 23/11/02 at 20:25
gamezfreak wrote:
> Mantis wrote:
> Wanted to go an trade JSRF and Quantum Redshift to get this tonight,
>
> no,No,NO! Don't trade them excellent games in!

Quantum Redshift is poo!
Fri 22/11/02 at 18:18
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> Wanted to go an trade JSRF and Quantum Redshift to get this tonight,

no,No,NO! Don't trade them excellent games in!
Thu 21/11/02 at 21:34
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
That's it!

Every bloody time I look at this title I think it says:

Heathrow Is Underated

It's driving me maaaaaad!
Thu 21/11/02 at 21:30
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Wanted to go an trade JSRF and Quantum Redshift to get this tonight, but no-one would bother giving me a 10 minute lift to the shopping centre.

Played the demo even more- still lovin the gameplay. Noticed that when you get knocked Out, the character twiches an the sound gets muffled when you try to recover him. When he gets us, the croud chears and sound goes to normal. Lots of little touches in the game, obviously put together with a bit of effort and care.

Also thinking of enterin the demo challage. I can get 42000 credits in one match, not bad I think. Might try OXMs forums to see what the best get there.
Tue 19/11/02 at 13:57
I trust IGN, thats why I am an insider. So I will check it out on the demo disc tonight.
Tue 19/11/02 at 09:18
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I've got this game, it's excellent 2 player fun.
And the swearing aint bleeped on the main game.

It's like Speedball with bells on
Tue 19/11/02 at 00:03
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I just read IGNs review of Deathrow- 9.3!

The writer sees the game in the same eyes as me, the game has alot more to offer than swearing. This is another Xbox game not getting the attention it deserves. Alot of you are missing out on something great.
Mon 18/11/02 at 19:31
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Belldandy wrote:
> Sorry, but after playing the demo though 3 times it doesn't get any better,

Ohh, I'm mad now.

Yes it does! There are so many little skilsl to master to add to your enjoyment of the game. Untill last night I didn't even know you could perform "One Timer" moves!

Basically, when passing quickly pressing shoot before the reciving player gets the ball causes him to shoot fast shoot, and passing then pressing shot while jumping in midair(very tricky) does this cool slo mo one timer- showing in slow motion the player jumping, catching and throwing the disk into the net. Very satisfying, and is only achived through playing the game a few more times. It really does open up.

I played the DEMO again today for over an hour, trying to master the curves throw. When locked onto the goal, you can curve your throw before you release the disk.

There are so many more examples of little tactics waiting to be descovered.
Mon 18/11/02 at 08:58
Regular
I've not played it, but it's an "arena-based game" isn't it?
I don't like games which are limited to arenas, regardless of how good they are.
I like to "go places" in games. See what's around the next corner. Explore.
Mon 18/11/02 at 08:44
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Sorry, but after playing the demo though 3 times it doesn't get any better, with plenty of quality games coming in the next weeks I know Deathrow won't be leaving the shelf at my local Gamestation...

~~Belldandy~~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.