GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jumping for Bungie"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/11/02 at 02:57
Regular
A bit of junk mail dropped through my letterbox the other day, from Comet, with a special offer on Xbox. Being an owner and huge fan of Xbox, I make it my business to keep in the know about any special offers going around - as far as I'm concerned all price cuts and special offers can only be a good thing for increasing a console's circulation and success. Boy am I glad I did, although the DVD was pretty weird (it's got a video of people growing extra ears and eyes, freaky), when I got to the final section I spotted the Coming Soon area and went to check it out. Not only did it have excellent previews of several games including Splinter Cell and Toe Jam & Earl III (both on my must have list), it also had the Halo 2 trailer.

For me, Halo redefined not only the FPS genre, but my expectations and horizons of gaming itself. The level of realism in every aspect of the game, the incredible attention to detail, the amazing freedom to choose the way you handle each situation, the blockbuster film-quality of the story, script and acting, the brilliant twists in the tale, the incredible orchestral sound track... I could go on, but I won't!

I've read about the Halo 2 trailer and downloaded it, but my PC didn't like the Microsoft player and the graphics stuttered so much that it was unwatchable. So I sat back and watched it on the big TV screen in DVD quality. Then I watched it again. Then I watched it again. Without wanting to spoil it for those of you that haven't seen it, the saying that less is more has never been truer - instead of seeing a collection of clips from the new game, we get a single sequence showing where Halo 2 begins. Master Chief is cooler than ever and the graphics, which I presume are demonstrative of the game engine, make the first Halo look plain. As the music builds to accentuate the incredible climax of the trailer, what I already knew is confirmed - Halo 2 is going to blow every other game away.

I have never trusted in a developer as much as I trust in Bungie and although it will have been 18 months since I heard of Halo 2 before I can play the game, I'm very happy about that. Bungie could have rolled out a sequel using their same very impressive graphics engine set on another Halo ring (from Guilty Spark 343's comments we know that the Halo of the first game is Installation 04 and that it is designed to activate other installations - yes, I know, I've played it too much!!) But they haven't. They're completely overhauling the graphics engine. They're taking us to places we never anticipated. They're developing the story in ways we never imagined. There will be new weapons, new vehicles, new alien races, new characters and plenty of new surprises. Who knows what online play components there will be. If Bungie had rush released a second Halo game for Christmas everyone would have bought it. But both Bungie and Microsoft had the sense to take the time they needed to make Halo 2 as truly special and unique as the first one. I predict that Halo 2 will break sales records around the world, win more awards than any other game in history and become a gaming milestone that will be remembered decades after its release. No pressure then, Bungie.
Fri 22/11/02 at 12:58
I hope you can just listen to your own music aswell thats what I missed in DOA3
Wed 20/11/02 at 21:41
Regular
Yeah, it seemed pretty stylish with the kung fu fighting music in the background, and the other the top japanese directer shouting the usual crap... Liets, Cam-a-ra, hAction!

Probably will give that a go sometime, any one know a rough release date??
Wed 20/11/02 at 17:43
Regular
up_in_$moke wrote:
> How much fun does that Kung Fu Chaos look. Kind of like power
> stone/mario party. It looks like it could go either way. (a very good
> enjoyable game .. or a very poor, unfinished game with alot of
> potential).

The game looks really fun! I read the preview in OXM a few months back. It takes the mick out of various movies, using them as fighting arenas. I see it as a cross between Super Smash Bros/Mario Party.
Wed 20/11/02 at 11:37
If its anything like power stone 1 or 2 I will be parting my pennies with that game :D
Tue 19/11/02 at 23:40
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
up in smoke wrote:
> Ninja Gaiden is looking to be a beast.

Sure is, reminded me of Devil May Cry- my Fave PS2 game!
Tue 19/11/02 at 23:31
Regular
The reason why i think that Halo was such a big success was because it was a 'pure' FPS. There wasnt a load of fancy extras, there wasnt hundreds of weapons, character models and vehicals. It stuck to Gameplay, Story and good graphics. I dont think that the graphics were amazing, I though that they suited the game perfectly. In other words, Halo did exactly what it said on the Tin. No gimmicks, no fuss, no skantily clad women perading about. Like i said, it was pure gaming.

I like the way that Halo 2 is looking. I dont think that they should change the winning formula too much. If it isnt broke,dont fix it. I wouldnt mind seeing a new engine as i believe that bungie will do a good job with it.

On a different note, Ninja Gaiden is looking to be a beast. It looks fast, cool, sharpe, stylish and fun. My perfect game.
How much fun does that Kung Fu Chaos look. Kind of like power stone/mario party. It looks like it could go either way. (a very good enjoyable game .. or a very poor, unfinished game with alot of potential).

Only time can tell with these maters though.
Tue 19/11/02 at 23:00
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I think it says something when recent efforts like Red Faction 2 havn't been able to hold a candle to Halo. Everythin halo did, it did right.

The DVD and Screenshots so far have been undbelievable, and id Bungie were to use the old engine again it would be a huge letdown and a bit of a con. Halo 2 online will be big.
Tue 19/11/02 at 19:24
Regular
"Unretired"
Finally some more people who have this Xbox DVD!

I love that DVD!

Anyway, I was looking at bunges site recently, and noticed they havnt exactly had a great history in gaming have they?
The only reasonable games they seem to have made are the Myth games.

I've just starting playing halo now since My xbox order and everything is sorted now, bloody amazing! I've only had quick goes before in virgin to be surrounded by hoards of spotty shufflers and have given up my go for one of them.
Tue 19/11/02 at 17:44
Regular
I have total faith in Bungie. They have made one excellent game, that stretches beyond the FPS borderline (G-Man pointed this out)

I got about 7 of the DVD's your on about at Stuff Live 2002, i've already sent a copy to garbe (or alaistar)
Tue 19/11/02 at 17:26
Regular
I wasn't aware that many of the developers left, however when watching interviews with some of the Bungie staff on the OXM Demo Disk 5 (which I presume are the ones who stayed or joined), their professional approach to games really came across. Getting a game to be technically impressive is in some ways easier than putting it together in a way that makes it truly entertaining. As long as they write a story that is as convincing and thorough as before, I don't see how they could go too far wrong.

It may be that they are still using the same basic game engine, I read that they are refining texturing techniques to get smoother outlines, even better bump mapping, reflections and lighting effects whilst using less polygons.

Either way, I don't think Microsoft or Bungie will let down the mass of Halo fans eagerly awaiting the sequel's release.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.