GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Kazaar and Morpheus users..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 10/03/02 at 13:20
Regular
Just a warning, I got a virus off an MP3 track on Kazaar, it turned out the track was only 15k so as soon as I realised I deleted the thing and cancelled the download.

To be on the safe side I have completely removed Kazaar, and I'm not taking that risk again.

It was the ruddy "I love you" virus, though how it got onto an MP3 for Sonic the Hedgehog I don't know....

Just be careful and keep an eye out, and make sure you've got a decent antivirus program (thankfully I have) so that you can stop these viruses before they damage your system.
Mon 11/03/02 at 20:01
Regular
"relocated"
adrian wrote:

But Morpheus will have to be the same as all other sharing
> programs, or the same thing that happened to Napster will happen to
> Morpheus.

The difference is that Morpheus isn't run over a central server like Napster, so nothing is actually 'touched' by Morpheus. So unless the program itself is banned (which would be like making tape recorders or cd-writers illegal) then it can carry on being a free service dedicated to nicking stuff off record companies. Hurrah!
Mon 11/03/02 at 17:21
unknown kernel wrote:
> Bartlex wrote:
> Morpheus has gone offline for me :( "This xersion is
> outdated, please
> download the newer version!" and the new version
> isn't out yet, darn!

You can get the preview version from musiccity.com: it's
> pretty rough at the moment but that's because Kazaa changed their software so
> that morpheus users couldn't access their servers. The full version should be
> out in about two weeks. People who aren't worried by Kazaa's policies should be
> - it's the choice of the music industry, so if you want to keep on sharing
> music, rather than being coerced into a pay service, then stick with morpheus.

Thanks, i'll go check!
Mon 11/03/02 at 16:05
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
unknown kernel wrote:
People who aren't worried by Kazaa's policies should be
> - it's the choice of the music industry, so if you want to keep on sharing
> music, rather than being coerced into a pay service, then stick with morpheus.

But Morpheus will have to be the same as all other sharing programs, or the same thing that happened to Napster will happen to Morpheus.

I am actually abit concerned with the spyware on Kazaa, as I download alot of the movies that have only come out in the cinema. Also get all the new Friends episodes from there.
Mon 11/03/02 at 09:04
"slightlyshortertagl"
i find Morpheus works fine..
Mon 11/03/02 at 07:55
Regular
Good old Luke.
Mon 11/03/02 at 07:54
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I find AudioGalaxy very good, if a little awkward. The good thing is though I can run the satellite on Luke's machine, who's on ADSL, then download the file from him later with FTP at a much higher speed. It's extremely efficient.
Mon 11/03/02 at 00:35
Regular
"relocated"
Bartlex wrote:
> Morpheus has gone offline for me :( "This xersion is outdated, please
> download the newer version!" and the new version isn't out yet, darn!

You can get the preview version from musiccity.com: it's pretty rough at the moment but that's because Kazaa changed their software so that morpheus users couldn't access their servers. The full version should be out in about two weeks. People who aren't worried by Kazaa's policies should be - it's the choice of the music industry, so if you want to keep on sharing music, rather than being coerced into a pay service, then stick with morpheus.
Sun 10/03/02 at 16:59
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
The Morpheus preview version sucks, so i'm using KaZaR.

The things you have mentioned don't really concern me.
Sun 10/03/02 at 15:37
Morpheus has gone offline for me :( "This xersion is outdated, please download the newer version!" and the new version isn't out yet, darn!
Sun 10/03/02 at 15:31
Regular
"relocated"
Just a warning to people using Kazaa: it's full of spyware, even if you take the option NOT to install the stuff. In fact the program doesn't work without sending 'usage statistics' back to Kazaa. Everything you download and search for is recorded by them. And they sell that info on: to record companies, blackmailers (probably) and (paranoia alert) the CIA. Plus they reserve the right to charge for using the service at any time. And YOU will be liable for copywright infringement.

Use Morpheus instead: its committed to freedom of information, confidentiality and not-charging. So now you can download Westlife tracks without ANYONE finding out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.