GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Discussion - Does where you come from affect you?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 26/10/07 at 12:09
"possibly impossible"
I’ve lived in Devon for quite a while now, 14 years in fact, and I consider myself to be a resident there, which I am. But I lived 16 of my years in Somerset and 5 before that in High Wycombe. However, I feel as if I belong to neither of these places.

So I guess the question is; if you’ve lived somewhere for long enough, can you absorb their ‘culture’ (to use a wide-ranging phrase) and live as if you were born there or do you still feel that the place where you were born or grew up has too much of a significant part to play in the way you are?

I feel that I come from Devon now, but also have some Spanish influence due to my wife and that I spend longer and longer in Spain each year. I still feel that some influence comes from my birthplace, even if it’s just that I don’t really speak with a West Country accent.

I know that it’s easy, and perhaps not seen as correct these days, to label people based on where they come from, which includes giving them certain traits such as being ‘southern’ or not outward looking enough, or too impersonal, tight, hardened etc. So how does that fit if you’ve come from one place and lived in another for a certain length of time?

I don’t feel 100% from anywhere in particular and like to think I can adapt. Country-wise, perhaps I’m more traditionally ‘English’ in the old fashioned sense of the word, but I think given time I could pick up many traits from another country. Would that make me a different person or would I just be incorporating them within my own personality?
Sun 28/10/07 at 20:49
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Where i come from only really affects me when i'm not here or when i'm talking to someone from outside London. I spent 4 years living in the West Country and where i came from caused me nothing but trouble. Because i also have a fairly strong accent that i was completely unaware of up to that point, it was impossible to avoid. Having said that, i've just come back from Holland and everyone was great. Granted i didnt speak to the locals a huge ammount but there was a complete lack of the prejudice that i've felt in other places *Cough*France*Cough*
As for whether i feel this place is my home... no, not anymore. I came back here (London) for the rest of my family but i havent felt like i belonged here since my nan died. I'm only here now because of familiarity and having nowhere else to go.
It's only in the last 6 months that i've really started to feel like a proper hardened Londoner and to be honest, i'm not comfortable with it because i never liked those people. Anyone who's been into central London and nearly been knocked over the crowd will know what i mean.
Country-wise i'm definitely English and a bit old-fashioned. I pretty much completely rebelled against my mums brash American side of the family. I think my personality comes mostly from my grandad who was a yorkshireman but at the same time, i'm a bit more adventurous and not quite as down to earth. That sort of mix doesn't quite fit in down here though as i'm seen as too reserved. I think thats probably why i get on so much better with people from the outside.
Sun 28/10/07 at 08:48
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Where I've been brought up and lived all my life has definitely affected me, mainly in negative ways.
For instance, I've always found "northern banter" nauseating. If I'm not careful the mere act of entering a corner shop can be like being plunged into a bad episode of Coranation Street.
To my mind the catchphrase "It's grim up north" is utterly true. Not that I'm saying living elsewhere would necessarily improve matters. Maybe familiarity DOES breed contempt.
But I've always felt the need to resist the immediate culture which has surrounded me, especially growing up. I can't put my finger on why exactly, but...

I've lived in and around Wigan all my life, by the way - (I can't escape!) - and the thought of calling myself "a Wiganer" (or something like that) fills me with cringing shivers.

My parents nearly moved to New Zealand before I was born, and I always wonder how different I would have been if that had happened.
Sat 27/10/07 at 19:06
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I'm from Surrey, and a true Southerener; I do feel I belong there, as being in Norwich at the moment a lot of peoples' accents do seem a tad odd to me; plus, I'm not really used to the place (Being from a small town where the streets aren't quite as labyrinthine or numerous!), among other things. Having grown up where I did I guess I just got used to the ways things are there.

In terms of identity, I'm a Surrey-ist. Although my dad's from west London and, I do, er, have a bit of a London accent. Which is apparently most obvious when I'm ordering beer.
Sat 27/10/07 at 17:51
Regular
"Sure.Fine.Whatever."
im irish through and through really even though neither of my parents are irish. ive lived in various places although none ever felt quite like home except dublin, south dublin to be more precise, very important that!
Sat 27/10/07 at 17:28
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I'm from South Derbyshire and my family "above" me are as well.

Going back further on my fathers side they're from Southern Ireland and on my mothers side they're from Wimbeldon in London.

As for me I just feel like a "Midlander" as it's what I've always known.

If I moved away I'd probably always feel like a "Midlander"
Fri 26/10/07 at 12:09
"possibly impossible"
I’ve lived in Devon for quite a while now, 14 years in fact, and I consider myself to be a resident there, which I am. But I lived 16 of my years in Somerset and 5 before that in High Wycombe. However, I feel as if I belong to neither of these places.

So I guess the question is; if you’ve lived somewhere for long enough, can you absorb their ‘culture’ (to use a wide-ranging phrase) and live as if you were born there or do you still feel that the place where you were born or grew up has too much of a significant part to play in the way you are?

I feel that I come from Devon now, but also have some Spanish influence due to my wife and that I spend longer and longer in Spain each year. I still feel that some influence comes from my birthplace, even if it’s just that I don’t really speak with a West Country accent.

I know that it’s easy, and perhaps not seen as correct these days, to label people based on where they come from, which includes giving them certain traits such as being ‘southern’ or not outward looking enough, or too impersonal, tight, hardened etc. So how does that fit if you’ve come from one place and lived in another for a certain length of time?

I don’t feel 100% from anywhere in particular and like to think I can adapt. Country-wise, perhaps I’m more traditionally ‘English’ in the old fashioned sense of the word, but I think given time I could pick up many traits from another country. Would that make me a different person or would I just be incorporating them within my own personality?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.