GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"America"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/03/02 at 21:50
Regular
Before I begin, I want you all to take note that no offence is intended here. This is merely my view on America and how they percieve us.

Anyone else think that America can be egotistical a lot of the time? I mean, I think that many Americans think that they're better than us, and that the 'good ol US of A' is any better than Britain. Is it just me, or do they have a different word for everything? Is it because they have to be better than us, or is it just for the sake of it, or something else? I'm stumped, so a little help here is appreciated.

How about ignorance of Americans in the media? A good example of this is Demolition Man. At an awards ceremony, Wesley Snipes and Sylvester Stallone ignored Nigel Hawthorne, a co-actor in the film. Did I mention that he was british?

Do Americans think of us as posh? In television, I see a helluva lot of prejudiced or hilarity at the expense of us, as we are portrayed as crumpet eating, tea drinking people who are completely shielded from the bad matters of the world.

My friend has just come back from Florida, and he had the following conversion with a cashier in a resturant:

Friend: Hello. I'd like a bottle of water please.
Cashier: A what?
Friend: A bottle of water.
Cashier 2: He means a bottle of water (in American accent)
Cashier: Oh, here you go.

*Hands my friend a 'bottle of water'*

Who actually spoke the English language first - America or England?

I do admire America's patriotism though, something which is somewhat a rarity here, with people too scared to show their traits, because there are so many ethnic minorities in the country now (I dare say it's a bad thing, however).

I'm not keen on America, but I love their taffy :0)

What do you think?
Fri 22/03/02 at 21:07
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
> People stopped reading the 10,000 word posts in this thread a LONG time ago

Ah..well we all know that you shoudn't actually read a post that you're replying to ! You just take a quick look at the title then go off on your own little rant, :) ( I don't mean you as in you personally by the way)
Fri 22/03/02 at 19:43
Regular
"That's right!"
People stopped reading the 10,000 word posts in this thread a LONG time ago
Fri 22/03/02 at 17:59
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
It's educational :P (And immensely useful for getting word counts/posts up)

At least none of us are spamming FOG and PS2 forum to death.....like about 3/4 people on the forums !
Fri 22/03/02 at 17:42
Regular
"That's right!"
Man is this poop still going on?

Please stop making huge quotes and only adding one or two comments

LET THIS THREAD DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH
Fri 22/03/02 at 17:13
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Small Frog wrote:
> My alternate history was a mockery of yours. If the whole of Asia could have
> become communist because Russia conquered everywhere, why couldn't America
> conquer the whole world because they are terrified of communism?

And there you have. America didnt conquer the communist countruies because the NATO/US alliance wanted Communism contained withing Russia and it's satellite states. Communism in Eastern Europe was okay, but no one wanted it spreading any further. That was the real fear. My altenate history was the kind of thing that everyone in capitalist countries, not just America, feared. Only once did america act overtly to stop Communism - Grenade and operation Urgent Fury, where the Communists sooon found that taking over Capitalist countries was going to cost them dearly. Many years earlier Communist Russia staged a takeover in Poland which would ultimately be reversed in the mid 80's.

>Yeah, but America did the same thing to the other side - after all,
> capitalists believe in the same thing, right? They want to make as much money
> for themselves as possible, and screw anyone who gets in their way.

Capitalist believe in the free market, the individual and choice, the very opposite of Communism. Its blatanly obvious that America had to give support butthe initial help the Viet Cong received was linked to Soveit arms dealers - BEFORE America began intervention and help. Your idea of Capitalsim is great, it's what the anti WTO groups would love, but it isn't right. Under capitalism an individual succeeds by themself, not the state. Business ha to make its own mind up, and it cannot blame the state for its failings, traders can sell what they want, not what the state wishes them to. Capitalism is great, but unfortunately relies on people taking responsiblity for themself, and some of us don't seem great at that, we want everything to be done for us ! Capitalism beat Communism 13 years ago, and if you think it is soooooo great then take a look at ex-communist/communist states.

Polluted, massive unemployment, drained of natural resources, organised crime, source of a majority of all illegal net found material , run down. Russia itself is still only just emerging from its age of food queues and dachas, to find itself miles behind the rest of the world technologically and socially. When the Russian Governement under Gorbachev indicated it would not use military force to stop communist countries leaving the USSR half of them promptly broke off within a year. Communism is How about China ? Source of the world's cheap labour, overcrowding, population control, massive rural areas where lack of development means the settlements look little different than they did 100 years ago.....Cuba, again it is so brilliant there that people keep escaping in small boats to America, or trying to, not forgetting Cuba's role in nearly ending history in 1962....
Fri 22/03/02 at 15:06
Regular
"es argh"
Americans like to think that they are the 'best' country on the planet. This is because TV stations will only show americans winning.

You can see this in:-
Boxing,
Ice hockey,
A total rip-off girlie sport called 'Football' (Bah),
Basketball.

Because they don't know that they actually are utter crap, due to not seeing this occur, they automatically think 'WAHOO, we're number 1'

Here's something for you to try and find on an american sports channel. See if they have anything to say on car rallying, no? that's because they can't do it. So they decided to make an all American car racing event called 'NASCAR' just so they can think that they are 'king of all that is car'

There is this one comment on GTA3 (on Chatterbox) where some bloke say's that ''Soccer is a sissies game''
Now, excuse me? I don't understand, I assume you are talking about the 'real' football, in that case, have you seen any injuries that have occured during a game of football. I don't think we need reminding of that Manchester United vs. Coventry match a couple of years ago, when that coventry defender had his shin bone poking out of his sock.

Now if 'soccer' is a sissies game, then why do american footballers have all of that extra padding? so they don't get a boo-boo? will they have to call for their 'mom' if anything bad happens?

I rest my case.
Fri 22/03/02 at 08:47
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
My alternate history was a mockery of yours. If the whole of Asia could have become communist because Russia conquered everywhere, why couldn't America conquer the whole world because they are terrified of communism?

>Russia gave tactical, logistical and supply help to the Vietnamese simply because they were Communist - after all all Communist believe in the same thing right ?

Yeah, but America did the same thing to the other side - after all, capitalists believe in the same thing, right? They want to make as much money for themselves as possible, and screw anyone who gets in their way.
Thu 21/03/02 at 10:49
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Small Frog wrote:
> That view of history is ever so slightly unlikely. Vietnam becomes communist.
> Therefore the whole of Asia does. Vietnam=Small Country. Asia=Continent.
> Continent>Small Country.

Wrong, it's not unlikely, and I'll ignore your little alternate history. Say, that America ignores Vietnam and year later Communist rule the whole place. Now Russia didn't support the Vietnamese BUT both sides were communist and had common ground, Russia gave tactical, logistical and supply help to the Vietnamese simply because they were Communist - after all all Communist believe in the same thing right ? Whats good for one is good for the whole. Then, lets say China, decides to invade Taiwan, Or Russia takes a few more blocs of Germany. Can the Americans intervene, well they ignored Vietname......

Whats more important is this; inability to act in Vietnam would be seen by Russia as weakness. And if you're enemy is weak then maybe, just maybe, you can beat him, amybe he's not ready for you......

This thinking drove the Cold War and all sides perpetuated it.
Thu 21/03/02 at 10:43
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
MoJoJoJo wrote:
Anyway, think about the reason why the Americans
> hated communism so much... They were whipped up into a frenzy about it by their
> government. Why? Their country is run by big business, and the simple definition
> of communism is that everyone is equal. Fair enough, it didn't work, but if it
> HAD in America, all the people in charge there would've been made poor.

Not quite. Under Communism everybody works towards one goal for the good of the whole state, it is not about everyone being equal. As Russia demonstrates, under Communism a nation spawns far more leaders and beauracracy than Capitalism. Business, generally, knows what is best for itself so runs itself, but under Communism business is run by the government, which generally has very little clue. It was not just the Americans either, it was every nation west of Germany. Why ? Communism dictated that the nation be a safe one, a powerful entity, which was translated into a massive military. Luckily for the West this military was largely poorly equiped and badly trained, and the Soviet generals knew it.
Thu 21/03/02 at 09:26
Regular
"relocated"
Vietnam's revolution wasn't part of an international communist plot anyway. Russia was against a revolution (as it was against revolution in India and many other colonial territories) and when Ho Chi Minh went to Europe he was practically ignored by the communist parties there. What started as a war of national liberation was turned into a leftist revolution because of the need to gain support among the rural poor through land reform. It was American paranoia about the domino effect - the entire Asian peninsula turning communist if Vietnam 'fell' - and an ignorance of the popular support the revolution had that led America to fund the French war effort and eventually take over themselves. And it led to one the century's most horrible wars.

Oh, and don't forget to sign the anti-Hooligan petition in Chat!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.