GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stuff this up your pipe Daily Mail"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/03/02 at 13:05
Regular
"Are computer games too violent" "Do they cause violence"

No.
If you think otherwise,then you shouldn't be allowed recreational time without adult supervision.
I am in a foul mood and I have a couple of options:

Explode with anger and punch someone repeatedly until they can't move anymore, and face the repercussions.

Seethe quietly, then go home tonight and play several violent games (State of Emergency/Max Payne etc) and feel calmer because I've vented my fury through harmless, stress relieving gaming.

The only way games cause violence or movies or records is if the person is stupid enough to not be able to distinguish between reality and fantasy.
Same with these idiots that are suing McDonalds for hot coffee.
These are the sorts of people unable to take responsibility for their own failings in life and seek to blame external influence.
If thousands of people can play a game/watch a movie with no effect whatsoever, yet one moron can be triggered what does that tell you?

Does that say that whatever stimulus set them off is bad and should be banned?
Or does it say that, regardless of cause, there will always be somebody retarded enough to carry out something they've seen.
But why blame everyone else?
Why restrict what I can see/read/hear/do, just in case someone else reacts stupidly?
Why do we have to look after everyone? If that is the case, then this world would be a sanatised, homogenised version of life with no alarms and no surprises.

No thanks. I'd rather take my chances at being an evolved human being and take responsibility for my own actions, than hand over control to somebody else.
I don't want to be looked after, I'm an adult.
Don't protect me from myself, let me make informed choices about what may or may not be harmful to me.

To remove that option because "it's safer" is to assume that I am not able to think for myself, in which case the years of schooling have been wasted on everyone if we need to rely on a governmental department to look out for us.
I don't want to live like that, I don't want some moralistic minority group thinking that just because little Johnny was stupid enough to try and steal a car like in GTA3, then I will obviously do the same and therefore I must be prevented from any possible harm.

There is a problem in this world, and it's one of over-population.
We are so goody-goody and overly concerned for everyone that even the cow people are making it to old age.
That's not how it should be, it's called natural selection.
Some animals are going to wade in shallow water and get eaten by crocs, just as some people are going to shoot each other because of a movie, or try and fly because they've taken LSD.
And simply to protect these idiots, my choices and options are removed for my "protection".

Except who asked me what I found to be a danger?
I find parents that rely on tv to raise their kids, shoving a burger into it's maw a far greater danger than a kid watching Child's Play.
Children have the greatest censorship mechanism ever, and we've forgotten it as adults.
They don't watch.
They put hands over their eyes and leave the room.

Kids act more adult than a lot of people I know.
They don't blame Tweenies if they fall over trying to reach for a biscuit.
They recognise their limitations and think "Ok,that's not for me".
Same should hold true for adults.
If you got offended by Brasseye, you shouldn't have been watching it in the 1st place because you're too stupid to get it.
If you seriously think Natural Born Killers can cause people to snap, then YOU need help, not them.

Grow up and stop pointing fingers at everything else but yourself and your upbringing for the fact that because you can't handle something and might injure yourself/others, I have to be wrapped in cotton wool and stumble around air-conditioned malls safe from harm.
Wed 06/03/02 at 19:52
"period drama"
how many more people would complain if McDonalds sold cold coffee then.
Hmmm?

I think on that ad Mr. Mcdonald might have taken some LSD.
"jump up and down like you're trying to fly" ring any bells?
Wed 06/03/02 at 19:44
Regular
"I like cheese"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Goatboy wrote:
> Same with these idiots that are suing McDonalds for hot
> coffee.

>I'm sure they're suing them for money. :-)

I'm ashamed to admit that made me laugh. :D
Wed 06/03/02 at 17:43
Regular
"relocated"
Goatboy wrote:
> Same with these idiots that are suing McDonalds for hot coffee. These are the sorts of people unable to take responsibility for their own failings in life and seek to blame external influence.

This is a bit unfair. I think anyone suing McDonalds should be given our wholehearted support. Have you seen those creepy Ronald McDonald adverts where he turns up in some kids' bedroom and starts making them sing 'Oooh, you've gotta love your mum'? It's sick. Good luck to anyone trying to get a bit of money off them, I say. In fact, next time I spill a bit of ketchup down my front I might see about claiming the money for washing powder from them.
Wed 06/03/02 at 17:24
computer games got me my glasses. it also made me get gold glasses frames and change my hair colour to blonde for a few weeks. then i was back to normal looking me and the girls went away :(
Wed 06/03/02 at 16:59
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
It was due to this hot coffee business that Ronald McDonald was taken hostage by one of the victims and told to, and I quote, "Dance, dance like you've never danced before"

As you can guess, it wasn't a pretty site.
Wed 06/03/02 at 16:41
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Oh come on! That was funny!

--

Ahem. Only of Blarzgon 8785, or another Trek planet. Try re-calibrating the deflector dish, that'll do the trick ;-)

Actually, it was pretty amusing.
Wed 06/03/02 at 15:57
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Why can't the Daily Mail just go and crawl up their own fudgetunnels and leave us in peace?
Wed 06/03/02 at 14:38
Regular
"Amphib-ophile"
Mr Wookie, would you mind having a look at my game cliches thread (in this forum) and tell me what you think?
Wed 06/03/02 at 14:35
"High polygon count"
Oh come on! That was funny!
Wed 06/03/02 at 14:09
Regular
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
I'm sure they're suing them for money. :-)

"Hi, is that the comedy police?"

I'm sure you know the rest by now...

:-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.