GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New PC"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/07/13 at 17:07
Regular
"Arguably Arguable"
Hello, I just ordered the Zoostorm Intel core i7 processor, 16Gb RAM, 2Tb Hard Drive, 22 inch Desktop PC.

Here are the specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor
FREE McAfee Antivirus Plus Software
16GB DDR3 1333 RAM
2Tb hard drive
21.5in 1920 x 1080 HD Glass Black Monitor
DVD RW drive
4Gb Nvidia GT630 Dedicated Gaming Graphics Card
Microsoft Windows 8
6 x USB 2.0 Ports (2 front, 4 rear)
1 x DVI Port; 1 x VGA Port; 1 x HDMI Port
HD Audio on board
Stylish finger print resistance case
Wireless b/g/n network card

I was wondering what everyone thinks, it sounded great in the description and the specs looked good so I thought why not, checked out some reviews, some were good and some were bad.

Some people had mentioned that it was great for gaming and others said it was terrible so I don't know what to expect, if needed I will buy another Graphics card, any advice or thoughts are welcome.
Tue 23/07/13 at 11:08
Regular
"Arguably Arguable"
pb wrote:
The motherboard is a Asus P8H61-MX R2.0

The PSU is (gulp) 300w.

You need to change the PSU to get any new graphics card in it.

Edit: Some versions of this have the 500w coolermaster PSU which would be fine, though it still only has one input so can't use cards like the 7770 or the NVidia card mentioned which need 2 inputs from the PSU.

Where did you buy it from?

Very

that is where I bought it I can afford to upgrade the PSU and the graphics card (maybe not the processor atm), I know a decent bit about computers and other stuff but its better to have advice from you guys aswell
Tue 23/07/13 at 09:13
"possibly impossible"
The motherboard is a Asus P8H61-MX R2.0

The PSU is (gulp) 300w.

You need to change the PSU to get any new graphics card in it.

Edit: Some versions of this have the 500w coolermaster PSU which would be fine, though it still only has one input so can't use cards like the 7770 or the NVidia card mentioned which need 2 inputs from the PSU.

Where did you buy it from?
Tue 23/07/13 at 09:08
"possibly impossible"
DL wrote:
Hold on everybody with the suggestions ....

.... no motherboard is mentioned!

As for McAfee and Norton and anything 'Symantec' wise ... slow, sloow, slooow .... DUMP

EDIT: please add an AMD Radeon 7770, if you decide AMD as an alternative card, not the 7750.

Depends on the PSU.

Either add 7750 if the PSU is 400W or under or 7770 if it's over (or change the PSU, but if you're not technically minded it can be a faff.

The 7750 is a good card for the price and works with lower PSUs. It runs everything too. If you are on a budget and can only afford a sub £100 card it's a good choice for now. You can always upgrade later.
Mon 22/07/13 at 23:48
Regular
"Arguably Arguable"
DL wrote:

As for McAfee and Norton and anything 'Symantec' wise ... slow, sloow, slooow .... DUMP

EDIT: please add an AMD Radeon 7770, if you decide AMD as an alternative card, not the 7750.

That is a good point it doesnt say on the website so depending on which graphics card I go for I will have to make sure the motherboard is compatible, thanks for all the suggestions though guys great help :D
Mon 22/07/13 at 22:38
Regular
"Feather edged ..."

Mon 22/07/13 at 22:09
"possibly impossible"
My new PC cost £470. It can run pretty much any game, not always on full settings but most of them.

There are always those who will sneer at those with 'lower spec' PCs, but if you can run every game, who cares?

The graphics card is really the only thing you need to change for now. AMD are cheaper but less powerful, but it all depends on how good your PSU is as they tend to be far kinder on power requirements. Even adding a basic AMD Radeon 7750 would allow you to run pretty much any game, even if you have a 400W PSU. If you have a higher wattage and a spare cable for the extra power needed then you can go higher.
Mon 22/07/13 at 19:56
Regular
"Arguably Arguable"
Sonic Chris wrote:
I spent a few weeks with the technicians at my college, and their impression was that Norton was basically the joke of the PC security world (I had Norton at the time!).

Just to say I have had Norton for 2 years and I have never had a virus or slow processing problems and it has protected my computer perfectly so I don't see what the problem is ._.
Mon 22/07/13 at 19:46
Regular
"Arguably Arguable"
Sonic Chris wrote:
I spent a few weeks with the technicians at my college, and their impression was that Norton was basically the joke of the PC security world (I had Norton at the time!).

Hmm ok then :/ I guess I will get something different then
Mon 22/07/13 at 19:45
Regular
"Arguably Arguable"
chasfh wrote:
jakfan12 wrote:
[i]DL wrote:
[i]Oh dear ... and this is only my first impression ...

Dump the processor...you need a 'k' version... eg i5-4670K
Dump McAfee ... plenty free out there without the hassle
Dump Graphics Card ...GTX650 Ti Boost 2GB
Dump Win8 ... go for Win 7, 8 has no advantages for gaiming

Only my impressions ;¬)

I also have a norton360 left over from last year when I protected my laptop, the stuff it has at the moment will do, it will take around 4 months for me to be able to afford the graphics card (depending on money I get at my birthday) and longer for the processor[/i]

Err... Not Norton. And certainly not McAffee

If you want something free, Windows Security Essentials.

If you want a good, low priced rig, forget Intel, look at AMD; cheaper overall for similar performance (see other threads in this forum for similar discussion).
£90 for a CPU, £50 for a mobo, £50 for 8Gb DDR3 (faster than 1333MHz too!)...

Same applies to graphics cards (7850HD AMD 2Gb card, £144 or thereabouts, perfectly adequate for any game at full pelt currently).

Shop around, don't buy cheap, buy smart.[/i]

Could I apply the AMD to it instead of Intel then?
Mon 22/07/13 at 19:44
Regular
"How Ironic"

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.