GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Natural instincts vs. healthy lifestyle"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 12/10/07 at 21:38
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
The topic posted earlier about sport, and my opinions on certain sports, kind of made me think of this topic The fact that I prefer more laid-back sports and not those that require large amounts of energy or fitness.

You would have thought that, by the way life works, people and animals would be naturally adapted to enjoy or like the things which are good for them, make them healthier and make them live longer.

I think pretty much every lifeform as we know it has survival instincts, where anything likely to kill them causes a natural reaction to evade or avoid it. This is also the case with our taste buds being one of the sensors for this reaction - to stop us eating anything nasty.

So why is it that certain foods which are considered highly healthy and good for you, are generally disliked amongst people?

Also, why is it easier and more preferable to typically be lazy and not get exercise? This, too, is something which apparently keeps us healthier and fitter, and also would have been a requirement to survive back when we were "au naturalle," to evade predators and catch prey more easily. But it is more preferable for most to not exercise.

Why does the mind work like that? Why aren't we designed to like what's good for us?
Wed 17/10/07 at 19:05
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Twain wrote:

> Is it a case of our taste buds adapting to these foods which are
> processed to taste nice then? Sure, we're in an artifical world
> where even food is artificial, and kids today are typically
> afraid to try anything green. That's probably what the problem
> is, is the fear of the food. But even when they do actually try
> a real food, even when not comparing to other foods, why does it
> not taste good?
>
> Not that I don't like healthy food - my dad's a greengrocer, but
> there are certain foods which even I don't eat, and i eat almost
> anything!
>
> Even young babies who have yet to try many foods would rather
> not eat broccoli, for example.

I read somewhere a while back that the reason we prefer unhealthier, fattier foods is because of the higher calorie content in them.

Back when we were fending out in the wild it was better to eat high calorie content foods as these gave us more fat to store in case we couldn't find any food for a while.

Over time we evolved a natural instinct for high calorie foods that still exists in us subconsciously today.
Tue 16/10/07 at 08:38
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Maybe people's tasebuds have been wazzled by the sugar and salt content in processed foods to the point were eating a fresh vegetable seems boring.

What was the latest Gov. Health estimate - that in twenty-five years half the British population will be obese. Even though I find this difficult to believe (or maybe I don't), it seems we are in the grip of a sugar & salt addiction.

It seems our natural instinct is geared towards pleasure and indulgence rather than what's good for us - certainly concerning food.
Our culture needs to re-learn that too much pleasure is a destructive force. Hedonism is a flawed and useless philosophy. It leads only to slobbishness and addiction. Self-denial and self-discipline are not bad!

*picks up soapbox and heads to Hyde Park*
Mon 15/10/07 at 10:27
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
Is it a case of our taste buds adapting to these foods which are processed to taste nice then? Sure, we're in an artifical world where even food is artificial, and kids today are typically afraid to try anything green. That's probably what the problem is, is the fear of the food. But even when they do actually try a real food, even when not comparing to other foods, why does it not taste good?

Not that I don't like healthy food - my dad's a greengrocer, but there are certain foods which even I don't eat, and i eat almost anything!

Even young babies who have yet to try many foods would rather not eat broccoli, for example.
Mon 15/10/07 at 09:11
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I could say the side-effect of "intelligence" is weakness and boredom, and that because of this, all kinds of peculiarities and perversions evolve and find expression. What's good for us isn't really the issue, especially in a culture which has grown so artificial.

I could say that, but I don't think I will.

>too late<
Sun 14/10/07 at 18:31
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I read this a few days ago and had no idea how to answer it. I just read it through again and picked this out.

" I think pretty much every lifeform as we know it has survival instincts, where anything likely to kill them causes a natural reaction to evade or avoid it."

Talking about survival instinct reminded me of the flipside, the death instinct. I think Freud or his students called it Thanatos. I dont remember a great deal about it but its something to do with wanting to die on your own terms, picking your poison. I guess for most people, killing yourself with something you enjoy is a great way to go about it.
I expect someone will come along and correct me. Its been ages since i read up on it.
Sun 14/10/07 at 17:48
Regular
"..."
Twain wrote:
> Why does the mind work like that? Why aren't we designed to like
> what's good for us?

I think we probably are, we just don't realise it. The problem here is one of 'nuture' overcoming nature. From a very young age we're targeted by advertising selling us Chocolate and such like as the ultimate 'treat'. This is in turn re-inforced by our parents, allowing us to eat it when we've been good or taking away the privelage when we've been bad. We're effectively being trained to think about certain foods in a certain way.

It's one of the things that shocked me most when I resolved to eat healtheir foods, the thought of them is, in most cases, far worse than actually eating them.
Fri 12/10/07 at 21:38
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
The topic posted earlier about sport, and my opinions on certain sports, kind of made me think of this topic The fact that I prefer more laid-back sports and not those that require large amounts of energy or fitness.

You would have thought that, by the way life works, people and animals would be naturally adapted to enjoy or like the things which are good for them, make them healthier and make them live longer.

I think pretty much every lifeform as we know it has survival instincts, where anything likely to kill them causes a natural reaction to evade or avoid it. This is also the case with our taste buds being one of the sensors for this reaction - to stop us eating anything nasty.

So why is it that certain foods which are considered highly healthy and good for you, are generally disliked amongst people?

Also, why is it easier and more preferable to typically be lazy and not get exercise? This, too, is something which apparently keeps us healthier and fitter, and also would have been a requirement to survive back when we were "au naturalle," to evade predators and catch prey more easily. But it is more preferable for most to not exercise.

Why does the mind work like that? Why aren't we designed to like what's good for us?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.