GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube - Just for kids"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/03/02 at 12:15
Regular
It is a quite popular pastime among people who dislike Nintendo or have another console (with no plans to buy a GC) to claim that the GC is just for kids.

The majority who take this view have probably never played a so called "kiddish" game in any depth or hope that the claim will prevent others from buying the console and therefore extend the life of their console choice.

From the launch list and list of fourthcoming games, I would say less than 30% of the titles are "kiddish" and as such, the "just for kids" comment is now completely outdated.

Two thoughts before I close. Firstly, who here claims that they are not a kid at heart?

Secondly, during the late 80's I had an Atari ST. The PCs available at this time were very inferior and because of this I had no interest in them. My view on this never changed but when I started work in the early 90's, I was forced to use a PC. When I unpacked my brand new 486 SX 25 I was stunned how much the PC had improved and how the ST had become outdated in comparison. At some point the PC had become great and I had missed out on it.

History always has a habit of repeating itself.
Sun 03/03/02 at 12:15
Regular
It is a quite popular pastime among people who dislike Nintendo or have another console (with no plans to buy a GC) to claim that the GC is just for kids.

The majority who take this view have probably never played a so called "kiddish" game in any depth or hope that the claim will prevent others from buying the console and therefore extend the life of their console choice.

From the launch list and list of fourthcoming games, I would say less than 30% of the titles are "kiddish" and as such, the "just for kids" comment is now completely outdated.

Two thoughts before I close. Firstly, who here claims that they are not a kid at heart?

Secondly, during the late 80's I had an Atari ST. The PCs available at this time were very inferior and because of this I had no interest in them. My view on this never changed but when I started work in the early 90's, I was forced to use a PC. When I unpacked my brand new 486 SX 25 I was stunned how much the PC had improved and how the ST had become outdated in comparison. At some point the PC had become great and I had missed out on it.

History always has a habit of repeating itself.
Sun 03/03/02 at 12:41
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I don't suppose you have a launch list to hand do you?
Sun 03/03/02 at 12:48
Regular
"everyone says it"
Turbonutter wrote:
> I don't suppose you have a launch list to hand do you?

Yes, I do. Whats your point. It has some excellent games on it. THPS3, Driven, SSX Tricky... and I wouldn't call Smash Bros a childish game... because its so good, also Star Wars. :)
Sun 03/03/02 at 12:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Can I have it? My copy's about 6 months old.
Sun 03/03/02 at 13:33
Regular
"Back For Good"
you know people are actually putting the console down when they say 'the gamecube isn't for "kids"'. This suggests that it is for kids and teens rave on and on about why it isn't :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.