GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Problems with vista?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/10/07 at 17:38
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I've been having some problems recently with a new PC running Windows Vista home premium.

The PC seems to be talking quite a long time to start up and shut down - 3-4 minutes and in some cases longer.
Have tried running the startup repair from the disk but no problems have been found.
In some cases the PC loads and shuts down quite quickly - 1 min or so at most.

The main problem though seems to be with windows explorer - when I try to copy files to a folder (For example I was transfering some music from an older computer, folder has 12 files in it and when I paste the folder into a folder on the vista machine I get a message saying transfering 1 file and it seems to hang there)
Similar problem occurs when trying to delete files/folders too. It either doesn't respond or takes a very long time to cancel.

Tried to backup files and e-mail messages to allow me to carry out a clean install but it hangs when windows mail tries to export the messages.

PC was running fine a few weeks back - have tried a system restore but that failed to help. Think the explorer problems could be what's causing the slow shutdowns.

Any ideas what could be causing it or how to try sort it?
Wed 24/10/07 at 15:26
Staff Moderator
"Aargh! Broken..."
They will, or should when Vista SP1 is released. It's expected in January and beta tester are reporting speed improvements already.
Mon 22/10/07 at 19:30
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Well I found some similar posts on the M$ forums but it seems it is indeed a known issue with vista that they have not done anything to address it.

I've found that since we noticed it happening we have used the XP machine more often. Just hope M$ do something to address the problem at some point.
Mon 22/10/07 at 11:30
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
This sounds very very very similar to a problem that my bro had with Vista Home Basic. Hes built himself an all-new computer with unnecessarily good hardware (he only ever uses it for WoW, which ran on his old computer just fine).

Installing Vista seemed to be fine, but then it'd take up to 30 minutes to boot despite his uber-fast dual-core processor. I can't remember what speed it is, but to tell the truth, I don't think it's much faster than my 2-year-old, single-core HT-enabled processor.

And as well as Vista taking that long to boot, it'd take about 20 seconds to show the Start Menu when you clicked it, and up to 3 minutes to show the Control Panel.

Now he's uninstalled it and happily does everything that he always has done, using XP, which he'd just upgraded from. So effectively, all he's done is spent several hundred pounds building a whole new computer for no reason whatsoever.

Sorry - I guess this post doesn't help. I was just voicing our experience of Vista.
Mon 22/10/07 at 11:03
Regular
"We are not alone..."
The problem is Vista!
Vista was designed around the requirements of the general population demanding 'idiot proof' graphical User interface media systems, keyboards were too difficult!

Unfortunately the Vista designers were basing their new long awaited operating system features on the capabilities of the average user with a reported IQ of just 38!

It's a statistical fact that 17% of all new computer users find the 'power button' by randomly prodding at patterns on the casing!

A support technician was trying to solve the problem of a particularly irate and frustrated user over the phone. He advised him to reload Windows:

“You mean I paid £1,000, and I have to reload this myself?” (rants for fifteen minutes and makes death threats) “*&@$ing reload! I'll give you a reload!”

Bang! Bang!

“Sir, is everything all right?”
“Sure is. I just blew the $#%&ing thing to bits with my shotgun you *$@%ing &*%$er.”

Which just goes to prove that, as long as Wierdo computer owners continue to have access to guns, computers will never take over the human race.
Mon 08/10/07 at 17:38
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
I've been having some problems recently with a new PC running Windows Vista home premium.

The PC seems to be talking quite a long time to start up and shut down - 3-4 minutes and in some cases longer.
Have tried running the startup repair from the disk but no problems have been found.
In some cases the PC loads and shuts down quite quickly - 1 min or so at most.

The main problem though seems to be with windows explorer - when I try to copy files to a folder (For example I was transfering some music from an older computer, folder has 12 files in it and when I paste the folder into a folder on the vista machine I get a message saying transfering 1 file and it seems to hang there)
Similar problem occurs when trying to delete files/folders too. It either doesn't respond or takes a very long time to cancel.

Tried to backup files and e-mail messages to allow me to carry out a clean install but it hangs when windows mail tries to export the messages.

PC was running fine a few weeks back - have tried a system restore but that failed to help. Think the explorer problems could be what's causing the slow shutdowns.

Any ideas what could be causing it or how to try sort it?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.