GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Red Arrows banned from 2012 Olympics"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 05/10/07 at 22:00
Regular
Yeah I know this story is a few weeks old, but for those who didn't hear it the first time ...

--------------------------

The world famous Red Arrows have been banned from Appearing at the London Olympics because they are deemed "too British".

Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be "offensive"to other countries taking part in the games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team "too militaristically British".

Red Arrows pilots are said to be "outraged", as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being "too
British" is an insult in itself - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was said to have been truly spectacular.

It is hoped that common sense will prevail.

If you disagree with this decision, sign the petition on the link

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?re=redArrows2012

---------------------------------------

Now these rumours may well be untrue, but I would urge you to sign it anyway if you do (and how many sensible people cannot?) disagree with such a ludicrous decision ...

Thanks for reading ...
Sat 06/10/07 at 20:19
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
El Viking wrote:
> Well, the thing is that if this did have any sort of substance to
> it, it'd be an outrage, as of course it is on a subject that's
> going to be quite controversial to people.

So this is all just hypothetical outrage then? :P
Sat 06/10/07 at 18:54
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Well, the thing is that if this did have any sort of substance to it, it'd be an outrage, as of course it is on a subject that's going to be quite controversial to people.

Were it reported in something more respectable or believable, such as The Daily Telegraph, there would be one hell of a reaction, and of course this would be more likely based on substantiated fact, not, say, some angry twaddle from the Daily Mail, the Sun et cetera.
Sat 06/10/07 at 16:56
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I really wonder about people sometimes....moral outrage about a story that appears to have no substance at all.
Sat 06/10/07 at 15:48
Regular
"Monochromatic"
The sad thing is no-one should be suprised. More political meddling by people with nothing better to do. Oh and i've said it before but that logo is bloody abysmal. I'm always been for the Olympics coming here but nonsense like this is putting me right off.
Sat 06/10/07 at 15:24
Regular
"eat toast!"
britin is hosting the event. Therefore we should do something to mention that we did celebrate the britishness of the event. I'm pretty sure if you told the organisers of the beijing commitee to ton down the chinese aspects and be more like the white man, they would not only be shocked but quite offended.

God sake, if we keep doing these things the 2012 olympics is going to be remembers not because we were rubbish at it, but because of a rubbish logo and being a very poor host. This is stupid shoot the people who decided on this.
Sat 06/10/07 at 15:05
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Absolutely idiotic. If a competition happens in the UK, its opening ceremony or whatever should have at least some link to the country; what next, no redcoats wearing bearskins anywhere at the olympics because of "Animal Rights" or the risk of offending Russians and Ukranians as it would be too close to the uniform used in the Crimean War?

Politically correct nonsense. They should be announced as part of a schedule as their displays are really impressive, and if there were any objections, raise them then; it's an assumption of offence... if this is the case.

From the petition page:

The e-petition asking the Prime Minister to "to Allow the Red Arrows to Fly at the 2012 Olympics" is ongoing. This is a response in advance of the closing date from the Government

This allegation is not true. The Government has not banned the Red Arrows from the London 2012 Olympic Games. The organising committee of London 2012 will decide what to include in the Opening Ceremony and other celebrations - but with almost five years to go, decisions are yet to be made on what these will look like.

And of course the Red Arrows played a memorable role in the celebrations for 2012, when they flew over Trafalgar Square to mark London winning the Games.

Still, the red arrows should be there.
Fri 05/10/07 at 23:47
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
If countries find the Red Arrows offensive they'd probably find the idea of the Olympics being held in the UK offensive too considering our lovely background of Empirical rule, slave trading, colonialisation etc., so I can't see this story being true.

Then again the world is mad anyway so diplomats are probably no different.

I guess Prince Philip won't be appearing in the Royal Box either? Can't see him cheering on China, somehow.
Fri 05/10/07 at 22:00
Regular
Yeah I know this story is a few weeks old, but for those who didn't hear it the first time ...

--------------------------

The world famous Red Arrows have been banned from Appearing at the London Olympics because they are deemed "too British".

Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be "offensive"to other countries taking part in the games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team "too militaristically British".

Red Arrows pilots are said to be "outraged", as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being "too
British" is an insult in itself - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was said to have been truly spectacular.

It is hoped that common sense will prevail.

If you disagree with this decision, sign the petition on the link

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?re=redArrows2012

---------------------------------------

Now these rumours may well be untrue, but I would urge you to sign it anyway if you do (and how many sensible people cannot?) disagree with such a ludicrous decision ...

Thanks for reading ...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.